PDA

View Full Version : US Customs when leaving Aruba

fische
02-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Do you go through US customs at the Aruba airport?? So you would not go through US customs when you land in say Atlanta?

First trip to Aruba and MX, DR, Jamaica we had US customs when we landed.

Thanks for your feedback.

Arubalisa
02-06-2010, 11:01 AM
YES, you go through US Customs and Immigration in Aruba. When your flight arrives in the U.S. you will be deplaning just as you would from any domestic flight.

http://www.airportaruba.com/images/Maps/Ground%20Floor%20MCA%20New.JPG (http://www.airportaruba.com/images/Maps/Ground%20Floor%20MCA%20New.JPG)

Procedure:

Check in
Enter the main building and go through Aruban immigration
Go through Security/xray checkpoint
Duty free shopping
Retrieve you luggage
Take your luggage and go through US Immigration
Place your luggage back onto the conveyor belt to be placed on the plane
Go through second security/xray checkpoint (see map link above)

Andrea J.
02-06-2010, 12:01 PM
having the US customs in aruba is the best thing since sliced bread.

hstvns
02-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Amen!!!!!;)

Johnnyecks
02-07-2010, 08:41 AM
I agree, it really makes it easier. Yes, you spend more time in the Aruba airport but would you rather spend more time in the airport in Aruba than the airport wherever you're going? Yes, your waiting, but still.. you're waiting while on vacation! LOL

aruba here I come
02-08-2010, 01:38 PM
in less there is an issue.
when we came back from aruba last march, we ended up going threw customs a bit here.(There was some talk of some drug garbage going on) While standing around the turnstile waiting for our luggage (which took forever, I would say at least an hour) They had the dogs out sniffing us!! so I am sure they had the dogs go over our luggage tooo!!!
NOt fun!!!

Andrea J.
02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
huh?
did u have to fill out a us customs declaration again?

what airport?

aruba here I come
02-09-2010, 08:53 AM
andrea, yes we did have to fill one out again. As far as I know they did not take anyone in, but they sure did have the sniffing dogs out smelling all of us...
and held us captive for well over an hour.... it was not fun!!!

Newark.

DL Platinum
03-09-2010, 11:12 AM
As this will be my first visit to Aruba, I have a few questions about Customs and Immigrations at AUA.

1. Do people traveling in First or Business Class get any priority treatment regarding customs and immigration in or out bound? Many international airports provide this.
2. Does the US customs in AUA have Global Entry? (I think not)
3. For a 1pm departure, how much time should I allow for checkin, customs and immigration?

:D

Arubalisa
03-09-2010, 11:24 AM
As this will be my first visit to Aruba, I have a few questions about Customs and Immigrations at AUA.

1. Do people traveling in First or Business Class get any priority treatment regarding customs and immigration in or out bound? Many international airports provide this.
No

2. Does the US customs in AUA have Global Entry? (I think not)
No, for those not aware of the program
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/global_entry/ (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/global_entry/)

3. For a 1pm departure, how much time should I allow for checkin, customs and immigration?:D
If a Saturday 3 hours, any other day of the week I personally would be there 2/ 1/2 hours before, though some will say 2 hours is plenty.

Just keep in mind that besides going through Customs in Aruba you will be going through security twice- Aruba security and then TSA security.

felle442
03-10-2010, 10:27 PM
having the US customs in aruba is the best thing since sliced bread.

Amen, again!

Shnyda
06-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Does anyone know what time the US / Aruban Customs stations close down - we have the latest flight out we have ever had (4:55pm)? I somewhat remeber seeing the last time we were in AUA that the customs lines shutdown at a specified time.

Arubalisa
06-16-2010, 02:30 PM
US Customs Closing Time (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/us-customs-closing-time-41940/?highlight=customs+closes) see last post

Does anyone know what time the US / Aruban Customs stations close down - we have the latest flight out we have ever had (4:55pm)? I somewhat remeber seeing the last time we were in AUA that the customs lines shutdown at a specified time.

Shnyda
06-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Thank you - that was the thread i needed!

lrealnurse
06-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Well, last friday, we had the bus tranfer pick us up at 1130 to go to the Auba airport for a 3PM flight. Well, we got to the airport when some of the terminals were opening. We were the very first to go through Jet blue, to walk to customs #1 (which was the weirdest thing), and to go through customs #2. We had never been to Auba before so we were unfamiliar with the airport. When I tell you we were the first, I mean the first, not a soul was around. We were questioning our naviagation through the airport. I have never been the first to travel within the airport; it just a weird and eery feeling.

We actually flew through customs and security..probably all within 15 minutes...

Lisa

Shnyda
06-26-2010, 09:57 PM
I don't recall ever hitting lines at the US portion of the customs in AUA. I have hit some lines though going through some of the other various processes.

Andrea J.
06-26-2010, 10:11 PM
recap....
going thru the "obstacles" at the aruba airport.
1. ticketing/boarding pass airline gates check luggage
2. aruba immigration man to check your boarding pass/passport
3. more aruba immigration checking your boarding pass/passport, taking the small portion of your immigration card that you kept when arriving.
4. security 1....xray carry ons....shoes off...small 3 oz size bottles in quart sized zip lock bags
now time for some duty free shopping and eating in between security 1 and us customs
5. pick up your luggage in the big room just outside us customs
6. us customs with ALL of your luggage...have passports and customs form ready for the us customs officer
7. drop off your luggage at appropriate airline conveyor
8. go thru security 2 AGAIN....same deal applies, shoes off, stuff on conveyor for xray...
9. go up escalator....collapse from exhaustion or go grab a cold beverage and begin your "aruba story" or go to the slot machines and win before you get onboard your flight home.

Sgroi135
06-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Perfect Recap Andrea!

The only thing that you missed is.............
The nasty words floating around in your head when you hear you flight being called and have to leave!!! (for me the words might be actually outloud!!)

corona
06-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Perfect Recap Andrea!

The only thing that you missed is.............
The nasty words floating around in your head when you hear you flight being called and have to leave!!! (for me the words might be actually outloud!!)

Agreed, Sgroi, but what's even more cruel is that they parade the new arrivals right in front of us while we're sitting there waiting for our departure flights. All the smiling faces with their Aruba vacation ahead of them. Grrr...I hate those people...lol!!

Andrea J.
06-27-2010, 02:04 PM
gosh i hate it as they parade by the crying rooms, onto their escalator...with those darn smiles and glorious looks on their faces.

all the while as we sit and wonder how the days flew by!

Agreed, Sgroi, but what's even more cruel is that they parade the new arrivals right in front of us while we're sitting there waiting for our departure flights. All the smiling faces with their Aruba vacation ahead of them. Grrr...I hate those people...lol!!

Love Aruba
06-27-2010, 05:08 PM
This year when we arrived in Aruba, I wouldn't look at the people waiting for their planes to come and take them out of Aruba-didn't want to rub it in :cool: When we left Aruba, I wouldn't look at the people arriving in Aruba because I didn't want to cry like a baby.;):o:o
I sure miss Aruba and it's wonderful people.
Pat

sunworshipperII
06-27-2010, 08:28 PM
That happens everytime...when we arrive all smiles and happy can't wait to get outside to see bully....and we know our week is starting...then I stop and think S..t next week that will be me sitting, there staring up and looking at all those smiling faces, and I will not be smiling..

lrealnurse
06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
recap....
3. more aruba immigration checking your boarding pass/passport, taking the small portion of your immigration card that you kept when arriving.
4. security 1....xray carry ons....shoes off...small 3 oz size bottles in quart sized zip lock bags
now time for some duty free shopping and eating in between security 1 and us customs
6. us customs with ALL of your luggage...have passports and customs form ready for the us customs officer
8. go thru security 2 AGAIN....same deal applies, shoes off, stuff on conveyor for xray...
9. go up escalator....collapse from exhaustion or go grab a cold beverage and begin your "aruba story" or go to the slot machines and win before you get onboard your flight home.

Perect, that is exactly how it went...

Lisa

sunnysmiles
06-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Yeah that's torture sitting there watching people arrive when we're leaving. I almost feel guilty walking past the people when we arrive. I said almost. LOL

Andrea J.
06-29-2010, 05:23 PM
when we arrive we try never to make eye contact with those sitting in the crying room.
when we are departing and sitting there in the crying room, i am silently cursing each and everyone of them that are arriving. ;-) ;):o:eek:

CandyC55
06-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Great to hear I'm not alone in my thoughts on the arriving and leaving part of Aruba!!

wildewoman
07-04-2010, 12:05 PM
I so loved going through customers & such on Aruba ~ as we land in Atlanta - before we board ANOTHER flight to SFO. Customs in Atlanta is HORRIFIC - so I am glad it is done & we can just go to the next gate.

The recap above is perfect!! I bought cheese on our last trip & it smelled great all the way home!!

Captmorgnsgrl
07-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Just left yesterday and your exact! We had a 7:50 am departure on American to Miami. To my amazment the AA counter was open at 5:15 am when we arrived at the airport. Business class passengers have priorty when at the ticket counter. But that is it, besides boarding. We still had to stand outside waiting for the Aruba immigration to check our boarding pass and passport. Of course no one is there until around 6 am. That part of the airport is under construction and we were rerouted, but still the same routine. Looks as if they are trying to enclose that area, so it will all be enclosed? Had a wonderful trip....I hated to come home :( But the best part is, my new countdown has begun!

recap....

Chadd
10-25-2010, 01:38 AM
I had a brief conversation with one of the US Customs officers on my way out last week and she asked me to relay some information to my company. Since the information could help people here, I might as well post it here as well.

Some airlines suggest bringing your own food when leaving Aruba as they don't have the ability to restock catering on the island. If you do buy food please remember that you can not bring any meat products through US Customs. This includes things like subway subs, pizza toppings or other similar products. While you may be planning on consuming the food before you reach the continental US, it doesn't matter to them and they will have to take it from you.

If you want to buy food to bring on the airplane, it must be after you clear US customs.

EHampite
10-25-2010, 06:13 AM
When we left Aruba on Oct 12, after we cleared customs, there was a couple sitting on the bench in view of the customs agents eating sandwiches. They told us that the agent told them to either eat it there or they would take it from them, so they gobbled it down before continuing on.

We always take only packaged snacks in our carryon to munch on and buy a Nathan's hot dog in the gate area before boarding.

lizzardo
10-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Not 100% but doubt you can bring fruit either....

Dom
10-25-2010, 12:51 PM
I found out another strange thing after I cleared customs. Although you can buy liquer and cigarettes in the duty free stores before you get to customs, apparently you can also buy duty free liquer and cigarettes in stores located near the departure gates after you clear customs. This seems strange to me because you can buy more stuff after having already declared what you are bringing back into the US.

dogwriter
10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
I found out another strange thing after I cleared customs. Although you can buy liquer and cigarettes in the duty free stores before you get to customs, apparently you can also buy duty free liquer and cigarettes in stores located near the departure gates after you clear customs. This seems strange to me because you can buy more stuff after having already declared what you are bringing back into the US.
If you buy Duty-Free before the departure area and they do not enter the info from your boarding pass, then you can buy more in the Departure Area. If they do, you can puchase but will have to pay the duty.
Say you get two cartons of cigarettes and they enter the info, you can buy more at Departure, at an extra $10.00 duty each. Still cheaper and more than the two-carton limit.
Walt

Andrea J.
10-25-2010, 01:28 PM
speaking of us customs when leaving aruba......
when we came home in august, we and some folks in front of and behind us were searched by us customs.
we had not had that happen since pre sept 11 2001.
it was pretty unusual that every one of our bags was looked at, not especially thoroughly but looked at our stuff nonetheless.

danadog56
10-25-2010, 09:02 PM
speaking of us customs when leaving aruba......
when we came home in august, we and some folks in front of and behind us were searched by us customs.
we had not had that happen since pre sept 11 2001.
it was pretty unusual that every one of our bags was looked at, not especially thoroughly but looked at our stuff nonetheless.

well to that end....I have promised myself that I would not buy anything for the house, I have enough of an Aruba collection, boarding on obsession, so I am going home with nada....well, I will bring my nephew and his girlfriend something for dog, cat, cat, ferrett and house sitting.
So I say to the customs agents....go for it....!!!!!:eek:

Dom
10-27-2010, 01:00 PM
If you buy Duty-Free before the departure area and they do not enter the info from your boarding pass, then you can buy more in the Departure Area. If they do, you can puchase but will have to pay the duty.
Say you get two cartons of cigarettes and they enter the info, you can buy more at Departure, at an extra $10.00 duty each. Still cheaper and more than the two-carton limit.
Walt

I bought liquer in the duty free shop before I went through customs, and again after I went through customs. I was not even asked about my flight information after I cleared customes. I just paid for the liquer (same price as in the 1st duty free shop by the way), and was given my purchase. No documentation required.