PDA

View Full Version : New Grocery Store opens in Noord/Palm Beach

lizzardo
07-20-2010, 07:18 AM
FUI Kong shopping center opens
Under massive interest publicly Kong FUI Shopping Center in Palm Beach, North, opened yesterday afternoon. Owners Ji Fang, Feng Jiao Li and their children and Errol Xia Ru Henriquez and Yuetao Huihua and made the opening a big party.

Note: This is the huge store across from the Valero gas station on the road where the Wendy's & McDs is heading towards Noord

Randi
07-20-2010, 07:35 AM
hi Liz,
Can you give any more details about the store? Does it carry many of the "american" groceries found at Lings? Can you be more specific as to where it is? Was there something there before or did they build it?

Thanks for all your info!

luvsun
07-20-2010, 07:38 AM
It is a huge building....looks like they would have everything.

sunnysmiles
07-20-2010, 09:25 AM
When we were at the Carribean Palm in March we walked by it almost everyday and it is huge! It was just far enough along that we could tell it was going to be a grocery store. It looked like there was going to be parking underneath(?) and an additional section for little shops to go into maybe.
Two and a half years ago it seems like it was a vacant lot but I could be wrong. Maybe they had already cleared it then for the store?

Andrea J.
07-20-2010, 09:49 AM
in january we saw it and thought it was a retail store .......our take on it was that construction started and then halted.

glad to hear it is now opened.

randi it is on palm beach road, almost diagonally across the street from LINDAS pancake restaurant AND the valero gas station.
coming from your place at surf club, head down the boulevard, turn LEFT at palm beach rd............go past the chinese restaurant on left, wacky wahoo and sole mare on right and then you will see the new super mkt on the right.

Edronenburg
07-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Don't want to throw "cold water" on a new grocery store; but tried it; and, then went back to "Ling & Sons," and...remember different strokes for different folks"...found the old reliable "Ling & Sons" was so much better organized; a wider selection and had everything I needed to cook in the room, and more. Now, as I said, in other words, this is just my opinion.

Ed

ITIE
07-21-2010, 04:06 PM
I agree with Ed. Went there today and must admit was very disappointed. Fruit and vegetable, very poor choice. Bread... same. Poor selection. Basically, again in my opinion, is a glorified version of the small Chinese grocery stores you see quite often around the island. I will also continue shopping in Ling & Sons, Superfood, etc. It could be useful for picking up main essentials but for anything special....... go to the old reliable sources.
Maybe in a year or so things will change, but for now we will avoid.

Andrea J.
07-21-2010, 04:14 PM
the fruits and vegetable .........poor choice may be due to unavailability.
chavez in his brilliance :rolleyes: and humanity :rolleyes: has imposed a cut down of venezuelan exported produce to aruba.

the more i read of him the more i believe he is a clone of saddam hussein. :doh:

a1patti
07-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Has any work started on the Supermarket being built near the back of the Aruban resort, where the motorcycle rides used to be? That would be a very short walk for us!!

jeffnev
07-21-2010, 07:54 PM
The land has been cleared and a sign is up, but we didn't see a whole lot of activity when we were there earlier this month. I think it would optimistic to think it will be ready before next summer.

a1patti
07-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Thank you for the quick response Jeff !!:)

yoramporat
07-23-2010, 06:21 PM
We too visited this store and were not impressed at all. It is quite interesting to read that the shortage of produce might be the result of a mini embargo imposed by Venezuela.

I read in the local newspaper that good relations between Aruba and Venezuela have been restored, so what gives?

Jacki
07-24-2010, 05:26 AM
No work at all yet on the new Super Food behind the Aruban - just an empty lot with a sign :)

lizzardo
07-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Here is an english story about the embargo:

Government consultation on export of vegetables and fruit

http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_75607.php

There was another article I read that the PM Mike Eman
has been successful in starting a dialog with Venezuela.

jaw
07-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Does the new grocery store have late Sunday hours. Arriving in Aruba on Sunday in PM and the other big groceries are closed. Would like to be able to pick up some items on Sunday night.

EHampite
07-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Does the new grocery store have late Sunday hours. Arriving in Aruba on Sunday in PM and the other big groceries are closed. Would like to be able to pick up some items on Sunday night.

Not sure about the new store, but Cheng's Supermarket is open on Sunday, I believe until 8 or 9 PM. To get to Chengs, when you reach the roundabout near LaCabana, where the Texaco station is and where Adventure Golf used to be, take a right and go inland. It's only about a mile or so to Cheng's from there.

Kasaka
07-24-2010, 11:05 PM
My favorite remains Superfood. Their bakery is awesome and I love their selection of Dutch foods (makes me feel a little bit like I'm back in the Netherlands).

jaw
07-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks, we will keep this store in mind upon arrival in Dec 2010

jaw
12-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Arriving Sunday 12/06 late. I understand that Cheng's is open until 8 and I know where it is located.

Not sure about the location of Kong Fui.

Also read on forum that there may be a new grocery in the newer developments near the high rise.

Please provide an update on late Sunday grocery hours and locations. Thanks.

jdoll
12-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Arriving Sunday 12/06 late. I understand that Cheng's is open until 8 and I know where it is located.

Not sure about the location of Kong Fui.

Also read on forum that there may be a new grocery in the newer developments near the high rise.

Please provide an update on late Sunday grocery hours and locations. Thanks.

Kong Fui was open on Sunday night this past Oct. I would not plan on stocking up there for the week but they have enough to get your week started.

Go in-island at the Domino's Pizza and McDonalds, past Wacky Wahoo's and it will be on the right before you get to Linda's Pizza. It is called Palm Beach Road but I don't believe it's marked.

admin1240
12-29-2010, 04:50 AM
good space for shopping. can i buy some car lights there?

Andrea J.
12-29-2010, 07:43 AM
an auto part store would be a better choice for car lights:confused:
good space for shopping. can i buy some car lights there?

Arubabeach802
11-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Are there any new grocery stores in the the Palm Beach section of Aruba?

Somewhere to buy a case of bottled water.

Thank you

~Amy~®
11-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Kong Fui is not too far away - just down Palm Beach Rd.

Forgive me for asking but....why do you need a case of bottled water when the tap water in Aruba is so good to drink? We usually buy a couple of bottles and just refill them from the tap and store in the frig to keep cold.

ArubaJAK
11-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi and Welcome to the Forum. Others can most likely provide more details regarding your options for grocery stores in the Palm Beach area. I just wanted to give you my opinion about purchasing bottled water in Aruba. Personally I only buy one or two bottles one after I get through security in Boston and maybe one once I get to the Island. I then refill (and freeze as needed) those two water bottles for my whole two week vacation. One of the first things we do when we arrive is fill up a pitcher (or whatever is handy) and put it in the refrigerator so we always have cold water to drink.

The thing to keep in mind is that Aruba has one of the best desalinization plants in the Caribbean that in turns makes their tap water some of the best/cleanest you will ever have.

By all means buy a case of water if you really want to but I wanted to make sure that you know that you have nothing to worry about when it comes to Aruba tap water. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful trip.

gaby
11-09-2011, 01:13 PM
we do the same thing. buy two bottles of water once we go through airport security and then fill them up all week in aruba from the tap.

Karen Lutzker
11-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Aruba has the most delicious water. Nothing to worry about! I second the motion. Just keep filling up your two bottles of water.

Andrea J.
11-09-2011, 05:19 PM
agree Aruba has wonderful thirst quenching water!

reusing plastic water bottles is really apparently not a good thing.
and i reuse sometimes.
and i do have a nice nalgene water bottle i think it is nalgene, got it at LLBEAN.
http://environment.about.com/od/healthenvironment/a/plastic_bottles.htm

AndyM
11-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Aruban drinking water is safe to drink and delicious. As a matter of fact, it tastes a lot better than the well water we have at home.

Aruban drinking water is desalinated at a plant on the island and 'flavored' with minerals drawn from coral. There are none of the health issues with water you might experience in other countries.

mmattalo
11-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Bottled water? Why? Perhaps bottles for water, yes . . . but no need to buy bottled water - welcome to Aruba, safe, clean, friendly . . . and yes, drink that delicious water!
Michael
:)

WaltVB
09-01-2012, 12:13 PM
I know I'm responding to an old thread that went a bit off topic, but is there any update on Kong Fui? It seems the store wasn't up to par compared to Ling and Sons and others. Has anyone been there recently? Is it still there? Has it changed for the better or worse? Thanks,
Walt

Andrea J.
09-01-2012, 12:22 PM
We were there in May 2012, December 2011, Aug 2011 and Dec 2010........each time we went we found it better stocked, but by no means stocked as well as Lings or Super Food.

I had issues with them re: my debit card :mad::(:mad::( which i used at the cash register for a purchase i made in Dec 2010. The issue was resolved, but I had to get a new ATM card.

The only reason we went back in 2011 and 2012 is my husband is "addicted" to SUNKIST Orange soda. He can never find it in Aruba, and by gosh we have looked :rolleyes::confused:
I know I'm responding to an old thread that went a bit off topic, but is there any update on Kong Fui? It seems the store wasn't up to par compared to Ling and Sons and others. Has anyone been there recently? Is it still there? Has it changed for the better or worse? Thanks,
Walt

aquaman
09-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Went there today. The place was empty of shoppers....that should tell you something considering it is a Saturday and also end of month when a lot get paid. As usual, the service was non-existant. I was doing a check on prices compared to some of the other supermarkets. Everything was just a little higher...50c here a couple of florins higher for liquor etc. Also be advised about the "cooling fee" they charge for ANY cold drink and certain other items.

At the checkout the young boy who packed the groceries stood in front of our cart and asked for money for putting stuff into the cart. He was aggresive in asking.

Not the best place to shop

Arubalisa
09-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Are there any groceries which do not charge a cooling fee?

WaltVB
09-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the update. I have noticed some of the "bag boys" can be quite insistant about a tip for bagging. I don't find that to be very smart on the grocery owners part to let that happen. I also noticed the Arubans are not asked for tips.

Andrea J.
09-03-2012, 09:34 AM
re: the baggers at some of the grocery stores

i am UNsure if it is for all grocery stores, but i do know at SUper Food.......
the young people that do the bagging and then bring the stuff out to the car for you are UNpaid.
their only compensation is tips.

so next time in aruba, if one of these young people offers assistance, please remember that their only source of pay is the tip.

as for some/few (?) of them being insistent, that is to be expected i suppose :(
too bad though. sometimes the grocery store is the real first interchange between arubans and tourists. would hate to think a tip insistent would leave a sour taste in people's mouths. :(

Thanks for the update. I have noticed some of the "bag boys" can be quite insistant about a tip for bagging. I don't find that to be very smart on the grocery owners part to let that happen. I also noticed the Arubans are not asked for tips.

elisabeth_nj
09-03-2012, 12:06 PM
If memory serves..the barges come in on Thursdays with Fresh everything...is that still the case?

Andrea J.
09-03-2012, 12:48 PM
The container ships come in mostly on Thursday but there are many instances where they are late or early.

elisabeth_nj
09-04-2012, 02:59 PM
hmmm. I arrive on a Tuesday and would normally shop the first full day...looks like I'll wait so I can get fresh stuff (not to mention the shelves could be bare on Wed).

Andrea J.
09-04-2012, 04:34 PM
over the last couple of years we have found that a better supply (more plentiful) of milk has been brought in from the container ships. the grocery store employees call it "miami milk". (meaning shipped in from the states.)

thursday used to be the day that all of the stores got their milk and by friday the milk would be gone.

that is not the case anymore...........except holiday weeks.

milk is in better supply these days.

the bakery dept of Lings and Superfood have fresh baked goods daily.

a grocery store usually not mentioned much is CHENGS (or CHANGS).
they are located on the road where the new supermarket is being built. perpendicular to the Tropicana resort.
Chengs although small and difficult parking, often has a supply of stuff that one may need. milk, beer, wine etc... and they are open all day on sundays! chengs reminds me of the "old" grocery stores, mom and pop type stores, where one could find most everything.

QUOTE=elisabeth_nj;233129]hmmm. I arrive on a Tuesday and would normally shop the first full day...looks like I'll wait so I can get fresh stuff (not to mention the shelves could be bare on Wed).[/QUOTE

elisabeth_nj
09-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks Andrea...good to know :o)