PDA

View Full Version : New timeshare owner- getting more confused by the minute

Gianna
03-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Need help sorting it all out :confused:

My first visit to Aruba this past February and it was love at first sight...so bought 2 weeks(35 and 36) at Aruba Phoenix. Was told that if we don't use our 2 weeks our points can be transferred to following year, which was great since we prefer to travel during winter months, this way could accumulate extra points to exchange points to reserve at our home resort during winter. Also have unlimited bonus weeks anytime between april and dec. 24.My dilemma is that I loved it soooooooooooo much that I now would like to go 2 times during year.
What are my options to get the max usage of my own 2 weeks and take advantage of all those bonus weeks at only the cost of our yearly maintence fees. I own a studio at Phoenix so that means I could book any number of weeks at 629.00(maintenance fee) as bonus weeks, or am I better off just renting from other owner that have rental posts.

I am looking to travel 2 weeks between August 20 and September 2011, and then do 2 to 3 weeks in February 2012. You all seem like you have so much experience (have been reading the different forums) figure you all might have some wise and great ideas to share with me.:confused:

wnysnow
03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi Gianna,

We also own two weeks in Aruba. My advice to you is to rent the other weeks from owners on this board. The economy is forcing many owners to rent out their units, because they cannot afford the airfare.

My best,
Susan:p:p:p

Andrea J.
03-04-2011, 07:55 PM
in hindsight
i would not buy timeshare again.
the maintenance fees are a killer for us.
we rent out many of our weeks just to pay the bill.
to do it all over again, i would skip buying timeshare.
i would much prefer to rent timeshare from someone.

danadog56
03-05-2011, 12:41 AM
if you have unlimited bonus weeks and can still use your weeks next year, then in theory you should just be able to contact RCI ....i assume that is what you have since you say you are using points...and ask them when there is availability to go and then just book...of course as andrea stated it would be the 629 x the number of weeks you are planning on going and then again for the 2 weeks you go later in the year....

danadog56
03-05-2011, 12:43 AM
in hindsight

Andrea, know where you are coming from...have 3 and although I would not sell them it still kills me when the bill comes...have 2 of the 3 paid for and need to pay 3rd one by end of this month.....and since they are renovating divi 2 of the 3 units have a larger than normal fee attached...which they say will only be for 2 years and then back to normal.....yeah right, do I have stupid stamped across my forehead ???:doh::doh::doh:

serene56
03-05-2011, 09:18 AM
in hindsight

gawd, where were you when I got snookered into buying a time share. :doh:
With us-- we did not want to be tied to certain weeks so we liked the Occidental. (gave us 6 bonus weeks plus a 1 week in a delux room.) sounded good at the time but when figuring what we pay each month for the time share PLUS the minenetance fee--it worked out where I could do 2 weeks going on a vacation.

Guess it will work out better when we retire and can go for longer periods of time.

I rented it last year with no problems

Andrea J.
03-05-2011, 09:31 AM
the thing about the BONUS WEEKS is that it is based on AVAILABILITY.
there are thousands of people in the DIVI system all hoping for BONUS WEEKS or accelerated weeks AND if you are lucky enough to book a bonus week, of course the maintenance fee has to be paid for that week.

lots of folks are rushed into buying while on the euphoric high of being on vacation.

disclosure........ i owned 10 units at LACABANA 10 weeks of timeshare.

we converted ALL of those to the bluegreen program using points and not being "married" to a certain week or season.
it works for us, but still i wish i was a non owner.
[/U]
Need help sorting it all out :confused:

My first visit to Aruba this past February and it was love at first sight...so bought 2 weeks(35 and 36) at Aruba Phoenix. Was told that if we don't use our 2 weeks our points cane transferred to following year, which was great since we prefer to travel during winter months, this way could accumulate extra points to exchange points to reserve at our home resort during winter. Also have unlimited bonus weeks anytime between april and dec. 24.My dilemma is that I loved it soooooooooooo much that I now would like to go 2 times during year.
What are my options to get the max usage of my own 2 weeks and take advantage of all those bonus weeks at only the cost of our yearly maintence fees. I own a studio at Phoenix so that means I could book any number of weeks at 629.00(maintenance fee) as bonus weeks, or am I better off just renting from other owner that have rental posts.

I am looking to travel 2 weeks between August 20 and September 2011, and then do 2 to 3 weeks in February 2012. You all seem like you have so much experience (have been reading the different forums) figure you all might have some wise and great ideas to share with me.:confused:

Andrea J.
03-05-2011, 09:33 AM
gianna START looking now for those FEB weeks you will be needing.
Feb/Carnival is HIGH season and rentals are expensive, and bonus time units almost non existent.

serene56
03-05-2011, 11:25 AM
maintenance fee: is it per year or for each week you want to use?

Gianna
03-05-2011, 11:30 AM
first of all, thanks guys you have been really helpful
will contact RCI and ask is availabilty for 2 bonus weeks between aug and sept
and request usage of points for 2 weeks for february
that is an 11 month advance reservation hopefully should be able to get 2 weeks
the phoenix sales rep did assure us that phoenix owners get priority choice if reserving
at home resort anything other than our fixed 2 weeks
hopefully the reps are not just pitching lines to hook bait at time of sale
and are truthful

and Andrea, if it doesn't work out at phoenix in feb maybe will just rent
2 weeks directly from owners at lacabana since that is where we stayed
during our first visit to aruba this past feb 2011 and had such a great
time meeting great bunch of people
again thanks so much for everyones advice really glad to have joined this forum

Gianna
03-05-2011, 11:36 AM
serene 56...the 629.00 is per year for our 2 fixed weeks ..but if we book bonus weeks then it would cost us 629 for each week ... so if we book 2 bonus weeks then it would cost
1258.00 for 2 weeks which i think is quite good as far as prices go.

Andrea J.
03-05-2011, 12:27 PM
i m sorry to be such a negative thing on timeshare.

it works for so many folks.

our timeshare dilemma is our own darn fault, but by getting into the bluegreen point system makes it a litttle easier.

oh ya, and if anyone wants to rent for a week, 10 days or whatever at lacabana or any bluegreen place in the usa, contact me.... i have points that can be converted to units for very fair pricing.

[/I][/I]
first of all, thanks guys you have been really helpful
will contact RCI and ask is availabilty for 2 bonus weeks between aug and sept
and request usage of points for 2 weeks for february
that is an 11 month advance reservation hopefully should be able to get 2 weeks
the phoenix sales rep did assure us that phoenix owners get priority choice if reserving
at home resort anything other than our fixed 2 weeks
hopefully the reps are not just pitching lines to hook bait at time of sale
and are truthful

and Andrea, if it doesn't work out at phoenix in feb maybe will just rent
2 weeks directly from owners at lacabana since that is where we stayed
during our first visit to aruba this past feb 2011 and had such a great
time meeting great bunch of people
again thanks so much for everyones advice really glad to have joined this forum

Kent-ArubaBob
03-06-2011, 12:09 AM
good luck with RCI. I have never got a trade into Aruba with RCI.

Gianna
03-06-2011, 11:25 AM
OOOOOHHHH no, funny how they don't tell you that when they give you sale pitch... :-(

by the way kent, your pics are absolutely gorgeous totally love the sunsets

~Amy~®
03-06-2011, 01:55 PM
OOOOOHHHH no, funny how they don't tell you that when they give you sale pitch... :-(

by the way kent, your pics are absolutely gorgeous totally love the sunsets

Sales pitches are all about selling...they'll tell you exactly what you want to hear in order to make the sale. As always, "caveat emptor" (especially when it comes to purchasing timeshares!)

jeffnev
03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Our TS experience with the Marriott Surf Club has been just the opposite-nothing but positive experience both in getting the weeks we want in Aruba and trading to other places (i.e. Maui) when we wanted to. I think the key to Marriott's program being so easy is that you don't buy a specific week, but you buy a season and as long as you have some flexibility it seems to work out. The maintenance fees are fairly high at about $1100 this year (actually lower than in 2010), but it is so much lower than having to rent a 2 bedroom oceanfront unit for two weeks. The service, cleanliness and facilities are top notch and the staff is super friendly- we have actually made friends and get lots of hugs and smiles when we visit each year.

There are lots of philosophies on TS and ours is buy what you will use with your family. If you're looking for an investment, look elsewhere as there are definitely better things to do with your money than own lots of TS units. And yes, those sales people are amazingly good, so be careful. Ours at Marriott told us the conversion rate (people who show up to the sales pitch who actually buy) is about 40%! I wish I were that successful in my business :)

Book early and lock in good airfares and dream about the beautiful beach until your week comes up!

dipeblnd
05-24-2011, 08:19 AM
I am sure this will get moved but honestly I thought it would get answers in the general section. SORRY:rolleyes:.

Anyway there are so many great deals on timeshares right now and since we go to Aruba every year I thought it might a good time to look into it but I am completely green when it comes to timeshare ownership. So I was hoping that some of you that own could give me some advice and general info, I mean as basic as how does it really work????

We love the Renaissance and mos tof all the private island so we would most likely look there. I have found some good deals on sellmytimesharenow.com but I am a little overwhelmed by the whole thing. I have always thought of Timeshares as a scam... I love in a beach resort town and hate the hustlers selling timeshares at the beach.

Any thoughts?

Kent-ArubaBob
05-24-2011, 08:26 AM
If you want to keep going there every year and you can get a good deal, go for it. If you want to buy and then trade it around, then it gets to be pretty ugly because every where you want to go, they have no availibility. If you are locked in to a place you like going, then you will have the same room, the same time every year. We have owned timeshare for 20 years and love it. Good luck. Kent

Andrea J.
05-24-2011, 08:36 AM
my thoughts:

BUY a timeshare at a fixed week and location only if you can be married to that place and that time period for a long time.

ex: if you choose to buy a week at the RENAISSANCE for example, and you get a good week during the week before school break in february. ok, now you might say TERRIFIC, we'll pull the kid(s) from school for that week. well, as the kids get older, and into high school pulling for that fixed week might not be so easy.
so, look at the week very carefully because you WILL be married to that week unless you bank it with a company lie Interval or RCI

Do you want to own your timeshare or buy a "right to use" for X amount of weeks per yr? if you own, the deed can be passed down to your heirs. if you have a right to use, you will be given a contract for let's say 40 weeks. once those weeks are done, they are gone.

check out the financial status of the resort.
the ARUBAN, now known as the TROPICANA had HUGE financial meltdown and the owners there had much anxiety and costly charges. the place is now slowly creeping its way back into good favor.

DISCLOSURE.....paul and i over a period of years accumulated 10 weeks (10 units) at lacabana. we had more timeshare units than brains! when BLUEGREEN came in for management and ownership we converted all of our deeded units to BLUEGREEN program.......provides more flexibility for us and other travel options as there are now over 40 places in the Bluegreen program.
Our maintenance fee is HIGH and we have to rent 6 weeks to cover our bill......almost!

maintenance fees rise almost every year?
can u swing almost $800+ per yr?

renting a timeshare unit is sometimes a better option.

i am going to leave this here in GENERAL for a few weeks as it may get better visibility.
lisa or i wil move it to timeshares in a few days.

good luck
there ARE some good bargains out there.

Andrea J.
05-24-2011, 08:38 AM
http://www.aruba.com/forum/f9/rent-own-timeshare-43510/

click link for some more reading and issues to ponder.

jeffnev
05-24-2011, 10:08 AM
I totally agree with Andrea and Kent. Buy the timeshare if you plan to use it, not as an investment. We bought at the Marriott Surf Club 5 years ago and one of the reasons was because you get a 'season", not a specific week. This flexibility is worth a lot to us and as our situation has changed-kids getting older and moving out, etc. the flexibility has been valuable...and we have been able to trade within the Marriott family pretty easily because the Surf Club is a high demand property. I have been toying with the idea of buying a 2nd week somewhere on Eagle Beach but I'm having a hard time convincing my DW. Buying a TS is a really personal decision and as Andrea points out, the annual maintenance fees can be high. We pay about $1,100 at the Surf Club, but that's a fraction of the cost if we were to rent our 2BR oceanfront unit. If you see a good price at a place you like and you can afford it, go for it.

All I know is that the week we are in Aruba at the Surf Club is our best week of the year.

bhut
05-24-2011, 01:47 PM
I own 5 weeks at the Renaissance, all prime time Bet. week 1&15 That is important if you ever want to sell and because all those weeks are tradable through the resort for an internal exchange for only $60.00 so if you own week 5 and want to go week 8 one year for $60.00 you can go week 8 also if you Buy be sure to buy Pool-Oceanview Units which are all odd numbers. If you own odd # and prime weeks and want to rent them out I have been getting $1300 per. week and last year the maintence fees were $660 per week. I am currently trying to sell 2 weeks week 10 Unit 545 and week 11 Unit 329 for $9500 or both weeks for $18,000 If you can a prime P/O unit for less go for it. I own other weeks in the US but I never trade any of My Aruba weeks. Good Luck. Bill

Arubalisa
05-24-2011, 02:12 PM
New timeshare owner- getting more confused by the minute (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f9/new-timeshare-owner-getting-more-confused-minute-50168/)

In Aruba, Timeshare Salesmen---- (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f9/aruba-timeshare-salesmen-32052/)

Timeshare SPECIALS? (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f9/timeshare-specials-32182/)

Need More T/S Experts (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f9/need-more-t-s-experts-31101/)

Best Time Share????? (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f9/best-time-share-39675/)

Timeshare auctions on EBAY (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f9/timeshare-auctions-ebay-46763/)

rent or own timeshare? (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f9/rent-own-timeshare-43510/)

How are Timeshare Sales executed ? (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f9/how-timeshare-sales-executed-31857/)

gio3003
05-24-2011, 10:01 PM
We agree with jeffnev. We bought 2 weeks at the Marriott surf club about 5 years ago and the gold season gives us a nice flexible time period to schedule a vacation time. We subsequently purchased a wek at the Marriott ocean club. We chose the marriott properties based on quality and reputation. I was initially hesitant as you seem to be due to the thinking that it was a bit of a scam, but spoke with a number of unit owners and friends who have owned timeshares in Hawaii and we have not regretted our decision to buy in Aruba.

AhhAruba
05-24-2011, 10:26 PM
I love Aruba and love the idea of going back year after year. While I own Bluegreen points and can use them towards LaCabana and am Marriott Platinum and can use reward points to the Marriott properties there, actually having a reason to go back every year was a draw to me. I was given a TS at Caribbean Palm Village from an owner who just wanted to get rid of them because they had too many units. To me a free 2-bedroom TS in December was too much to pass up so I snatched it up. If I actually had to pay for one and it was cheap (no loan or mortgage needed then I might have taken the opportunity). The real drain comes if you buy a timeshare and have to finance it and are paying a payment and maintenance fees for a long period of time. This means to get to your break even point it can take a long time. So for me getting a timeshare free and paying a yearly maintenance fee of $718 for a 2-bedroom is cheaper than renting. It gets me back to Aruba every year so this was a no-brainer for me.

jpsphr
05-24-2011, 10:29 PM
We don't own in Aruba, but will be on our third visit using our Marriott Grande Vista unit in Orlando. If we had to do it all over again we'd buy where we want to go (Aruba) instead of where we did. However, to out great fortune and surprise, we've been able to trade through Interval for 3 different weeks at the Marriott Aruba properties. Once, we traded our lock-off studio in Orlando for a 2 bedroom at the Surf Club.

Timeshares are NOT an investment! They are, however, a great way to stay in different parts of the world, particularly if you are flexible with dates. We've used ours for Aruba, San Diego, Scottsdale and Orlando. Each time, we stayed in a one or two bedroom apartment, instead of a hotel room. Good luck with your decision.

Terry Joz
05-25-2011, 07:02 AM
We agree with jeffnev. We bought 2 weeks at the Marriott surf club about 5 years ago and the gold season gives us a nice flexible time period to schedule a vacation time. We subsequently purchased a wek at the Marriott ocean club. We chose the marriott properties based on quality and reputation. I was initially hesitant as you seem to be due to the thinking that it was a bit of a scam, but spoke with a number of unit owners and friends who have owned timeshares in Hawaii and we have not regretted our decision to buy in Aruba.

We have owned at the Marriott Ocean Club for 9 years now and enjoy the flexability to vacation also. We also own at the Marriott in Myrtle Beach for about 6 years and exchanged it for 5 years now for the Marriott Ocean Club in Aruba for additional weeks or we bring family or friends with us. We have not regretted buying our time shares at all.

Kris10
05-25-2011, 09:10 AM
I own a Bluegreen timeshare (they partner with RCI) and our deed is held at The Fountains resort in Orlando FL but the way Bluegreen works, or at least my timeshare, is you use "points" rather than "weeks" so basically you use your points to go where you want, when you want. We get 8,000 points a year and if you don't use your points they roll over the next year BUT I lose them if I don't use them after the following year; meaning, I'll only ever have 16,000 points at any given time.

The Bluegreen resort that's in Aruba (which we just stayed at and LOVED) is LaCabana on Eagle Beach. They're in the process of remodeling it, the rooms are GREAT!!! We had a one bedroom and rented a studio for the first night we were there (we saved on airfare by arriving on Thursday but had already booked the rooms for Friday soooo we just showed up and say, 'Welp we're here, can you accommodate us?' lol) We also saved money because we took another couple with us. Basically, we used our points for both rooms and they paid for our airfare :)

If anyone's interested in buying my timeshare please let me know and we can talk about it. The only reason I'm looking at selling it is because we just don't use it, not often enough. I can't tell you how many points we've lost from not using it....and basically that's just me throwing money away (boooo!!)

Anyway, if we don't sell no biggie. We just found LaCabana and love it so maybe that'll be our spot :D

Andrea J.
05-25-2011, 10:17 AM
the thing about rolling your points over with blugreen

1. they now charge you a fee to carry points over to the next yr :-(

2. those carry over points/roll over points are only allowed to be used during blue or white seasons. (LOW SEASONS)

there are NO blue or white seasons in aruba or in florida using the bluegreen program.

i caution all about reading the fine print with bluegreen or any of the other timeshare programs.

I own a Bluegreen timeshare (they partner with RCI) and our deed is held at The Fountains resort in Orlando FL but the way Bluegreen works, or at least my timeshare, is you use "points" rather than "weeks" so basically you use your points to go where you want, when you want. We get 8,000 points a year and if you don't use your points they roll over the next year BUT I lose them if I don't use them after the following year; meaning, I'll only ever have 16,000 points at any given time.

The Bluegreen resort that's in Aruba (which we just stayed at and LOVED) is LaCabana on Eagle Beach. They're in the process of remodeling it, the rooms are GREAT!!! We had a one bedroom and rented a studio for the first night we were there (we saved on airfare by arriving on Thursday but had already booked the rooms for Friday soooo we just showed up and say, 'Welp we're here, can you accommodate us?' lol) We also saved money because we took another couple with us. Basically, we used our points for both rooms and they paid for our airfare :)

If anyone's interested in buying my timeshare please let me know and we can talk about it. The only reason I'm looking at selling it is because we just don't use it, not often enough. I can't tell you how many points we've lost from not using it....and basically that's just me throwing money away (boooo!!)

Anyway, if we don't sell no biggie. We just found LaCabana and love it so maybe that'll be our spot :D

Arubalisa
05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Using points with Bluegreen you do not have to pay maintenance fees or assessments? These are the two things that are always in the fore front when dh ever considered purchasing a timeshare. These are two factors which are totally out of our control.

Andrea J.
05-25-2011, 10:59 AM
YES you must pay maintenance.
the special assessments are spread out thru all of the bluegreen members.

the maintenance fees for my 10 units/ gazillion points IS less than if i held the units individually as lacabana approx $4000+ if i had held these units without converting to bluegreen, the maintenance fee would be over $5000 and the special assessment for the renovations wold have been approx $14000.

bluegreen works out for us, sometimes ;-)

dipeblnd
05-25-2011, 11:04 AM
this is all super useful information... exactly what I was looking for. Thank you all SO much!

Kris10
05-25-2011, 01:25 PM
the thing about rolling your points over with blugreen

1. they now charge you a fee to carry points over to the next yr :-(

2. those carry over points/roll over points are only allowed to be used during blue or white seasons. (LOW SEASONS)

there are NO blue or white seasons in aruba or in florida using the bluegreen program.

i caution all about reading the fine print with bluegreen or any of the other timeshare programs.

They haven't charged me anything to carry points over, that's odd (I'm surely not going to bring this to their attention, lol)

Ehh but if you plan ahead for a red season, you're fine. Plus we had enough points for us (me and hubby) and a couple friends. I don't know, like I said if we used it I'd be golden but we don't use it regularly and I've been losing out.

Using points with Bluegreen you do not have to pay maintenance fees or assessments? These are the two things that are always in the fore front when dh ever considered purchasing a timeshare. These are two factors which are totally out of our control.

We have annual fees of about $600, our monthly payment is $180 but it'll be paid off by 06/2015.....can't wait! LOL

We could pay it off though, there's about 6K left

Linda VH
05-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Go over and visit the forums at Timeshare Users Group (www.tug2.net) which are free to visit. I've been a member for years and joining gets you reviews, etc. It is a great site to use to really really educate yourself before you buy. We own a lot of timeshare, mostly in Aruba!

AndyM
05-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Buying a fixed week timeshare you are surrounded by many of the same people every year. That can be good or bad. We have been fortunate to be with a good group and established a friendship that continues all year long outside Aruba.

Arubalisa
06-02-2011, 09:59 AM
I had a thought this morning reading through some reviews of timeshares on an online travel review website. It is interesting to see the comparison between how an owner see their property, their investment vs. how a renter, an outsider, see the property. Definitely may be worth the research for some comparisons. ;) :)

I do know that in reading some reviews today, it was a good reminder that renters at timeshare resorts are treated as "outsiders" and are more often than not, made not to feel very welcome. I always thought we were the only ones who were made to feel that way. We certainly felt that way on most if not all occasions staying at a timeshare resort. I suppose that may be a good thing for an owner, but bad for a renter? :confused:

Just food for thought...

Andrea J.
06-02-2011, 10:10 AM
we have never encountered that using INTERVAL trades except at a resort which i will not name publicly.
some of the resorts where we have traded into where we were treated perfectly
ABC
Paradise Beach Villas
Renaissance
Caribbean Palm
Lacabana (our home resort and we did trade into there too hahaha)
divi village
personally i think folks get a little too uppity at times and they should get their noses down out of "nosebleed altitudes".:rolleyes:

the reports i get back from my "renters at lacabana" have always been positive and never heard any of them say they were treated as outsiders.

Arubalisa
06-02-2011, 10:22 AM
The resorts we have had experience with or I had read about are not any of the ones which you mentioned. :)