PDA

View Full Version : Do Arubians like to haggle?

ourhistory153
05-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Not sure this is the right place to post this but do Arubian business people
like to haggle when it comes to pricing?

cindyo
05-08-2011, 05:48 PM
We have been able to "haggle" over jewelry prices...nothing else really

Arubalisa
05-08-2011, 05:58 PM
As Cindy said, really only jewelry. It is not part of their culture like other parts of the world.

I have read different accounts on haggling at the weekend flea market, some say yes, some say no. :rolleyes:

For flea market prices I would be more worried about offending the vendor :o asking them to come down on a specified price if it is not common practice, but that is just me. :o It never hurts to ask I suppose ;) :).

Come back and let us know how you make out.

Andrea J.
05-08-2011, 09:51 PM
as others have said, yes to jewelry.

but, unlike mexico or dominican republic or some other place where haggling is not only appropriate but expected.......most places do not haggle and it "could" be insulting to them.

the craft/flea mkt folks come to some of the resorts and set up table to sell their wares. my husband was eyeing some cigars and began to haggle with the proprietor. the proprietor became insulted and asked my husband to move along. never again will he haggle......it was embarrassing to him and the cigar man.

Not sure this is the right place to post this but do Arubian business people
like to haggle when it comes to pricing?

jerseygirl
05-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I was in this store...kind of a junky place...out in Paradera somewhere. I really wanted this beach chair. After waiting a few minutes until the sales guy finished blessing his food w/incense he told me the price of $60. I knew it wasn't worth that much so I asked for room to negotiate. He said he could sell it to me for $58! WHOA...what a cost savings. I asked for $50, and we settled at $55. It wasn't much of a savings, but it is a kick-ass chair!

AndyM
05-12-2011, 11:02 AM
We often negotiate a small discount from open air vendors. Some at the weekend flea market near town and with a small group of vendors that sets up at our timeshare twice a week. I don't think any vendor is insulted by your asking for a better price as long as you're not a jerk about it.

ourhistory153
05-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Then I will do my silent haggle. "Nice item Sir but it is outside my budget but
we will sure to come back, if we feel we can fit it in." if a seller sees a potential
buyer walking away then they may say something. Of course if this is a sellers
market then they may not.

We often negotiate a small discount from open air vendors. Some at the weekend flea market near town and with a small group of vendors that sets up at our timeshare twice a week. I don't think any vendor is insulted by your asking for a better price as long as you're not a jerk about it.

AndyM
05-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Then I will do my silent haggle. "Nice item Sir but it is outside my budget but
we will sure to come back, if we feel we can fit it in." if a seller sees a potential
buyer walking away then they may say something. Of course if this is a sellers
market then they may not.

Sounds good as long s you don't expect a half price deal. You might get 20% off.

It's seldom a seller's market unless you're talking about a specialty high cost item. Run of the mill souvenirs are readily available in quantity.

lasalleboygmu
06-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Yes, I haggle with the taxi drivers, the open markets, the souvenir shops, their used to it!!

Andrea J.
06-17-2011, 10:22 PM
respectfully, i disagree.
the taxi drivers are mandated by Aruban law to follow set pricing.

click the link below for the mandated pricing.
if you haggle and negotiate with a driver, it is breaking the law.
reputable drivers will not haggle

http://www.aruba.com/forum/f38/new-taxi-rates-effective-sept-1-2009-a-40898/

Yes, I haggle with the taxi drivers, the open markets, the souvenir shops, their used to it!!

mmattalo
06-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Consistent opinion - jewelry / watches = yes . . . everything else = no. This is actually a good thing . . . the Arubans know their worth / value and I fully respect them for it. If you want deep discount deals that soak the locals . . . go to Mexico :-)

AndyM
06-30-2011, 10:33 PM
...If you want deep discount deals that soak the locals . . . go to Mexico :-)

Do you really think the locals will allow themselves to be soaked? The Arubans I've seen are willing to negotiate but will simply say 'no' when you've pushed too far.

onehappycouple
07-19-2011, 01:05 PM
not really

cocoa3c
02-17-2013, 02:33 AM
I'm SO glad I don't have to worry about this in Aruba. I HATE it! I've learned to do it travelling to other countries, but I find it exhausting and painful. Unless one knows what the retailer paid, I never know if I'm being fair or not. I always feel badly for the retailer. lol

God Bless,
Arlette:cool:

rapp110
02-17-2013, 10:33 AM
I've never tried to haggle in Aruba. If we can afford this beautiful vacation we can afford to pay the prices these hardworking people are charging. Just the way I feel I am not trying to offend anyone.

cpjones
02-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Have always believed that everyone is entitled to a reasonable profit.....
keyword = reasonable!

With that said, I have negotiated discounts on jewelry.... asked for reasonable discounts that don't offend anyone. ;)

AndyM
02-17-2013, 12:10 PM
No one should be insulted by your asking for a discount. Make a reasonable offer. They will either counter or refuse it. No harm done.

I have negotiated price with all kinds of vendors from high end jewelers to flea market vendors. They always seem to be happy to see me when I come back.

mjl60621
02-17-2013, 01:56 PM
At Aruban flee markets the vendor will often lower the price if you start to walk away. It happens to me all the time even when I don't want an item. If I want an item I will ask for a lower price, and then accept their counter. If no counter I say sorry, no problem, and either walk away or pay full price.

Last november I asked for a discount on two higher end toy cars for my son. I was in the high rise area, I asked for a few bucks off the merchant said yes, and applied a 10% off coupon to my order (this was more than I asked for).

To me, its business, I may or may not ask for a discount.