PDA

View Full Version : Resort Reviews

Arubalisa
06-02-2011, 10:50 AM
In reading some recent reviews on a travel website, I have come to the following conclusion. Trip reviews are just that, one persons perception of a resort or a destination. Always do your own research and ask a lot of questions.

It is very interesting to see how people see things differently. Remember that game called "telephone" you played as a child? :confused:

The hotel's website states the resort has two swimming pools.

A reviewer states the pool has three swimming pools.

Last time I checked, the resort did indeed have only two swimming pools.

One reviewer states the Radisson's Plaza Club is on the EIGHTH floor.

One reviewer states the Radisson's Plaza Club is on the SIXTH floor.

In my mind this is all another argument for using a good travel agent. They should know the product they are selling. If they do not, at least if you have problems, there is someone to be held accountable. In the case of online reviews it is only one persons opinion and not necessarily facts. :)

Andrea J.
06-02-2011, 11:04 AM
exactly!!
when in doubt check the resort website or your knowledgeable travel agent
OR
ask here, we CAN and usually do find out and clear the muddied path.

hockeymom
06-02-2011, 05:23 PM
I often take these with "a grain of salt" It's one person's opinion. The first time we went to the Divi I was nervous after reading some of the reviews. We loved it - and still do. I often find the only people that bother to do reports are also the ones that are unhappy. I made it a point this year to do a review on Tripadvisor as I was tired of seeing so many negative reviews. I find this with alot of product reviews too.

katherine
06-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I think the old saying is true when reading reviews - disregard the very best review(s) and the very worst - the truth is usually found in the rest.

Opinions are hard to figure out as well if you don't know who they are coming from- people come from all walks of life and areas of the country - what one person finds great may not be great for someone else. Joe who lives in a small town in mid-america will have a different opinion of something than someone who lives in a penthouse on the upper east side of Manhattan. This is hardest for us when reading restaurant reviews. We consider ourselves "foodies" - we love to eat and cook. Some people don't care about food as much and could be happy eating chef boyardee (nothing wrong if you do) But my mother in law is from Italy and makes phenomenal pasta - the person who is used to chef boyardee will definitely have a differing opinion than us when rating an italian restaurant.
Anyway - I am rambling as usual...

Arubalisa
06-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Anyway - I am rambling as usual...Not at all, you made an excellent point. :)

katherine
06-10-2011, 07:00 PM
It is funny - I just had a conversation with a friend today and she mentioned that she and her husband love food and great restaurants. Her parents are not picky about food at all - so whenever her parents tell them they ate at a great restaurant she takes it with a grain of salt and knows that it probably would not be that great. If they wrote a review someone who did not know them may trust their opinion. Just goes to show that it is hard to trust reviews unless you know who is making them.

serene56
07-14-2011, 09:55 AM
I have been reading reviews on the travel channel and yes, they are all over the board.
Some like it some do not. Honey says dont stress- we are on vacation - How bad CAN it really be???

msbeckyt
07-14-2011, 10:09 AM
I agree that the "grain of salt" rule is an important way to approach forming an opinion without experiencing that thing for yourself. I try to bear this in mind when looking through the wedding reviews in this forum especially.

Andrea J.
07-14-2011, 10:17 AM
boy you said it!
it is all opinions here.

as someone said, disregard the bad and the good and find the review in the middle.

and the wedding section is so difficult to moderate.
what is true? untrue? self promoting? over exaggerated etc???
the wedding section is indeed a place where "grain of salt" has to be taken one at a time.
as moderator, i find it a section of the forum that causes me great distress.
if i were a bride or groom, i am not sure "how i would feel".....certainly confused at least.
lisa and i are in touch with each other re: the wedding section and we do the best we can and that is often times not enough.

I agree that the "grain of salt" rule is an important way to approach forming an opinion without experiencing that thing for yourself. I try to bear this in mind when looking through the wedding reviews in this forum especially.

cpjones
07-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Gotta figure, tho, that if a place has 20 positive reviews and 2 negative reviews.... it's probably pretty good!

msbeckyt
07-15-2011, 01:37 PM
For what it's worth, I appreciate what you ladies are faced with when moderating that area especially and thank you for being so diligent with it. As was the case with the Renaissance wedding thread closed recently, it was to the benefit of everyone for it to be cut early before it got out of hand. The benefit is greater in that it wasn't deleted because planning brides still deserve to hear about other wedding experiences. I'm not sure that anyone would have benefited from it deteriorating any further.

As a planning bride that mostly lurks (until now I guess!) those threads sometimes feel really all over the place. But they are helpful as all hell. The key is that you take that information in and allow it to help form your own opinion and decision on how to approach your own wedding. I feel like if every bride/groom steps back from all the info and focuses on the things that are important and true to them, a lot of the info is easily filtered.

Thanks to both you and Lisa for helping maintain this great resource for us.

boy you said it!
it is all opinions here.

as someone said, disregard the bad and the good and find the review in the middle.

and the wedding section is so difficult to moderate.
what is true? untrue? self promoting? over exaggerated etc???
the wedding section is indeed a place where "grain of salt" has to be taken one at a time.
as moderator, i find it a section of the forum that causes me great distress.
if i were a bride or groom, i am not sure "how i would feel".....certainly confused at least.
lisa and i are in touch with each other re: the wedding section and we do the best we can and that is often times not enough.

Andrea J.
07-15-2011, 02:52 PM
thank you for the kind words.
they mean a lot.

andrea james
For what it's worth, I appreciate what you ladies are faced with when moderating that area especially and thank you for being so diligent with it. As was the case with the Renaissance wedding thread closed recently, it was to the benefit of everyone for it to be cut early before it got out of hand. The benefit is greater in that it wasn't deleted because planning brides still deserve to hear about other wedding experiences. I'm not sure that anyone would have benefited from it deteriorating any further.

As a planning bride that mostly lurks (until now I guess!) those threads sometimes feel really all over the place. But they are helpful as all hell. The key is that you take that information in and allow it to help form your own opinion and decision on how to approach your own wedding. I feel like if every bride/groom steps back from all the info and focuses on the things that are important and true to them, a lot of the info is easily filtered.

Thanks to both you and Lisa for helping maintain this great resource for us.

Arubalisa
02-23-2012, 08:23 PM
A good reminder for all of us. :)