PDA

View Full Version : Aruba with a 1 year old

paule350
12-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Hey this will be our 6th trip to Aruba and we are bringing the new addition to the family. Any tips from anyone who has traveled with a 1 year old would be helpful. One of our main concerns is a car seat and taxis.. I read somewhere about a guy who maybe posts on these boards who has a car seat?

Cple
12-28-2011, 03:42 PM
:):):)
Three years ago we traveled to Aruba with our 1 and 3 yr old grand children. We took their car seats with us. It was no problem on the plane. It worked out great when we used rental cars. Another place we used them was on the beach, under the umbrella.
Good Luck on your upcoming vacation.

Andrea J.
12-28-2011, 03:46 PM
bring your car seat from home is the way to go

ctfirewife
12-28-2011, 03:57 PM
paule350,

We will be traveling with our 1yr old at the beginning of February. My 5th trip.

I don't know when you are planning to travel ,but if it is after us, I can let you know how it goes. Where are you staying?

TomFrederick
12-29-2011, 09:40 AM
All good advice posted above. We even had 2 grandson younger than 1 along on different trips. Of course daughter was along. If still using that baby type car seat bring it. Great for carring baby around the airport and waiting for plane. If child gets bigger bring one of those canvas strollers that fold as great for pushing child around airport and resort. Airline will tag either at gate and you get them back getting off plane.
Under a hut in that great breeze ours would sleep in the nice breeze.

shanb42
12-29-2011, 11:40 AM
We've been taking our girls to aruba every year since they were 6 months. Hard to believe my oldest will be 6 years in a couple months.

Anyhow... We bring our carseats and gate check them for flights (along with a stroller). They are waiting for us as we get off the plane.

Have a great trip!

mambrosio
01-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Hi ctfirewife-mjn109,
I'm also traveling with my 1 year old on May. Can you please let me know how it goes?
Tks,
Marco

ctfirewife
01-26-2012, 09:38 AM
I most definately will Marco. :)
I am sure you are looking forward to your trip, it will be here before you know it!

I am not so much worried about the hotel stay as the resort is so family friendly, but the flights. I pray my son sleeps most of the way!:D

mambrosio
01-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Tks! I´m also worried about the flight!! Lets hope everything goes well. Have a nice trip and hope to hear from you.
Rgds,
Marco

OneHappyTraveler
01-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Marco...when my kids and granddaugthers were babies the doctor had told us on takeoff to make sure they are hungry...not starving but hungry...babies will suck harder on the bottle and their ears will pop so they won't be in any pain.....just trying to help...it did work for us

ctfirewife
02-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Marco,
we got back on Sunday and all in all we had a great time with our 1yr old Dylan. He was a bit sick before we left home and ultimately got sicker while we were in Aruba so we had to see a doctor but our hotel referred us to a great one and he got some medicine and was better in no time.

He did very well on the airplane with some benadryl to help him sleep and we did feed him some cherrios while we were landing so he would keep swallowing to prevent his ears from bothering him. He did have his own seat so he was in his infant car seat for the ride. He liked the beach and the pool at the hotel and we did not go out to eat too much because we were staying in a timeshare. It was different to be there with a child, as we've been there a few times before we had him, but all in all the memories we made this trip were great. You will have a lot of fun.

My biggest recommendations are: LOTS of good sunscreen. I used Blue Lizard brand which is from Austrailia. He did not burn at all and even has a bit of a tan. My son is very fair with blonde hair/blue eyes.
Also, it is great that the water there is very safe to drink...the 2nd largest desalinization plant in the world...so have your baby drink up! Stay hydrated.
A baby float with a cover to keep them out of the sun but still able to enjoy the water.
Other than that, enjoy it!!! You will love it!:)

2011Aruba
02-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Bully has a carseat.

We love Blue Lizard. It can be hard to find so start early.

ctfirewife
02-22-2012, 10:26 AM
I bought it on Amazon.com, I am an Amazon addict, but I did pay a pretty penny for it. It was worth it though.

mambrosio
02-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Hi ctfirewife (http://www.aruba.com/forum/members/ctfirewife-mjn109/),
First of all, sorry for my late response. Carnival week in Brazil and I was no where near wi-fi hotspots!
Second, tks. Tks so much for the tips. I really apreciate them.
I hope I have the same fun as you guys did.
Saudações do Brasil,
Marco

ctfirewife
03-02-2012, 03:55 PM
OH! that sounds like SO much fun!

You are VERY welcome! : )

amarg
06-18-2012, 10:15 PM
I travelled with my daughter who was 14 months at the time. I wish I'd brought my own car seat from home. Buly the cab driver had one and was amazing. However, not all other taxis have them nor do they have decent ones. We rented a car and rented a car seat from them. It was extrememly worn, unsafe according to Canadian or US standards and I didn't even know how to safely install it. They had no instructions for it and refused to help me install it for liability reasons and because I think they didn't know how. I paid a premium for this crap seat and was nervous anytime we took our daughter out in it.
We rented from a reputable company well known in North Anerica and not dome cheap discount outfit. From speaking to others around town and in our resort, the consensus is, bring your own car seat. I suggest taking a stroller car seat combo. Ativan drivers are scary by the way.

Andrea J.
06-18-2012, 10:18 PM
what are ativan drivers?
QUOTE=amarg;227353]I travelled with my daughter who was 14 months at the time. I wish I'd brought my own car seat from home. Buly the cab driver had one and was amazing. However, not all other taxis have them nor do they have decent ones. We rented a car and rented a car seat from them. It was extrememly worn, unsafe according to Canadian or US standards and I didn't even know how to safely install it. They had no instructions for it and refused to help me install it for liability reasons and because I think they didn't know how. I paid a premium for this crap seat and was nervous anytime we took our daughter out in it.
We rented from a reputable company well known in North Anerica and not dome cheap discount outfit. From speaking to others around town and in our resort, the consensus is, bring your own car seat. I suggest taking a stroller car seat combo. Ativan drivers are scary by the way.[/QUOTE]