PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Question

arubaislove
11-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Hi all. Sorry if this is a re-post, I wasn't sure where to post this. Usually when I go to Aruba I just turn off my phone for the week. Due to the storm here, knowing my mom and others close to me still do not have power, I plan on using my phone a bit while I am there. I have AT&T, and even with the international plan it is still insanely high. Is there a way I can switch my Iphone over for the week? I know they have Setar there, just know nothing about it. Any suggestions would be super helpful. Thanks so much!

Andrea J.
11-02-2012, 03:54 PM
the short answer is:
come to aruba with your iphone
go into the setar store or kiosk at the airport and purchase a SIM card
they will do it all for you(set it up)
make sure that when it is time to go home you put the att sim back in!!

it will run you less than $40

Hi all. Sorry if this is a re-post, I wasn't sure where to post this. Usually when I go to Aruba I just turn off my phone for the week. Due to the storm here, knowing my mom and others close to me still do not have power, I plan on using my phone a bit while I am there. I have AT&T, and even with the international plan it is still insanely high. Is there a way I can switch my Iphone over for the week? I know they have Setar there, just know nothing about it. Any suggestions would be super helpful. Thanks so much!

arubaislove
11-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Oh awesome! That just made my day! Thanks so much!

arubadebbi
11-07-2012, 07:57 PM
I bought my sims card several years ago and when I go to Aruba I go to Setar and activate it when I purchase minutes. I would like to know is there a way I can activate online? Some people use digicell and pay for minutes online and their phone stays active

Andrea J.
11-07-2012, 09:06 PM
http://setar.aw/mobile/prepaid.html
here is their website

in the section for "contact" try emailing them to ask.

QUOTE=arubadebbi;236436]I bought my sims card several years ago and when I go to Aruba I go to Setar and activate it when I purchase minutes. I would like to know is there a way I can activate online? Some people use digicell and pay for minutes online and their phone stays active[/QUOTE]

wishman35
11-12-2012, 09:13 AM
So say I want to bring my iPhone out to Aruba, not for excessive use - but for some text/data and a few calls.. is it best to go to one of those booths to get a SIM card? How does it work, for the $40 do you get some data and minutes??

Shnyda
11-12-2012, 09:22 AM
So say I want to bring my iPhone out to Aruba, not for excessive use - but for some text/data and a few calls.. is it best to go to one of those booths to get a SIM card? How does it work, for the $40 do you get some data and minutes??

40 bux will get you a decent amount of mins and data.

I am not sure if they have sim cards for the iPhone 5 yet...

Trip-planner
11-12-2012, 11:58 AM
I have an IPhone 4S. Does it have to be jail broken for Setarsim card to work?

Andrea J.
11-12-2012, 01:30 PM
does your iphone have a removable sim card?
the earlier verizon ones do not.
mine does not.

Trip-planner
11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
I just read where Sprint and Verizon allow this but AT&T does not so they can charge International rates.

wishman35
11-13-2012, 02:47 PM
I have an iPhone 5 on AT&T - I wonder if it will work!

Shnyda
11-15-2012, 10:34 AM

Verizon will unlock the iphone 4s so a setar sim will work - I dont know about other carriers.

charles
11-15-2012, 11:03 AM
HI
If while you are down here, your flight is cancelled due to weather etc. and your phone is not working, we extend the rental for 3 days at no cost to you . You only pay for airtime.
Hope that thelps.
Charles Croes

Oh awesome! That just made my day! Thanks so much!

ubouu
08-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Use the free WI-FI on the island that's what we do, it cost nothing !

Arubalisa
10-13-2014, 10:26 PM
For those traveling in the future, AT&T just announced "30-day, one-time-charge packages" http://about.att.com/story/att_introduces_its_best_ever_value_for_internation al_travel.html

~Amy~®
10-21-2014, 01:06 PM
For those traveling in the future, AT&T just announced "30-day, one-time-charge packages" http://about.att.com/story/att_introduces_its_best_ever_value_for_internation al_travel.html

Not sure why that article says "just announced" - I used that 30 day package while we were in Italy for 16 days in Aug. Signed up for it before we left and had no problems.

Arubariba
11-03-2014, 03:16 PM
This is an old thread but if it helps any, make sure to call your carrier to unlock your phone for international use. As long as it has a sim, you can purchase a sim card from Setar or other local carriers and it should be smooth sailing from there. Setar won't unlock your phone to be used in Aruba. As someone else mentioned, there are several hotspots in Aruba with free WIFI but you can also purchase WIFI service and do Skype, Facetime, WhatsApp and all those good applications. Oh.... when you get a local phone carrier, you can also purchase local calling cards (available at most (if not all) establishments) to make cheap international calls because as far as I can remember, Setar charges a good bit.