PDA

View Full Version : Property ownership in Aruba and Illegal Squatters

Aliwhite
03-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Hi Everyone

I really need some help with my property I Own In Aruba.

I live in the UK and purchased a holiday home in 2005 for my family in Noord

We left the island and visited lots, then found out since 2007/2008 we had squatters living in our house. They broke into the house with all our furniture in it still and decided to live there.

We had legal help and investigated our rights. We came to visit Henry in 2011. He then agreed to rent the property from us in 2011, he signed and never paid.

To this day I am fighting for Justice as he is living in my family home, and now renting my apartments attached to the home and making money.

I really need to know my rights here as I have been in touch with so many people and Nothing seems to conclude the situation

I ultimately need this man out of my house so I can use it as a holiday home for my family once again.

He has been squatting there rent free and now making money from my property from 2008 until now.

I am also lead to believe he travels back and forth between the Island and Venezuela where he is from.

Any information on what I can do or how to get him out I would really appreciate

Thank you

Andrea J.
03-03-2015, 08:40 AM
omg

i am copying this, and publishing in the "moving to aruba section"

possibly forum member Lizzardo would care to reply.

Hi Everyone

I really need some help with my property I Own In Aruba.

I live in the UK and purchased a holiday home in 2005 for my family in Noord

We left the island and visited lots, then found out since 2007/2008 we had squatters living in our house. They broke into the house with all our furniture in it still and decided to live there.

We had legal help and investigated our rights. We came to visit Henry in 2011. He then agreed to rent the property from us in 2011, he signed and never paid.

To this day I am fighting for Justice as he is living in my family home, and now renting my apartments attached to the home and making money.

I really need to know my rights here as I have been in touch with so many people and Nothing seems to conclude the situation

I ultimately need this man out of my house so I can use it as a holiday home for my family once again.

He has been squatting there rent free and now making money from my property from 2008 until now.

I am also lead to believe he travels back and forth between the Island and Venezuela where he is from.

Any information on what I can do or how to get him out I would really appreciate

Thank you

Aliwhite
03-03-2015, 08:42 AM
Thank you this is all new to me so thank you

brady bear
03-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Why do people do this to others. Just don't understand.
They need to get off their humps and get jobs.
Cathi

Jacki
03-03-2015, 09:28 AM
I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Sounds to me like you need to be ON the island to deal with something like this. If it were me, I'd probably show up and spend a few weeks trying to get things done. I'd also plan to be living in MY home on the island, whether the squatter is there or not! "Hello, roomie!" Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

lizzardo
03-03-2015, 11:03 AM
I have sent her a reply and will hopefully skype with her with all the info we have gotten over the years - plus you have to be VERY careful on which lawyer you use - our first one actually sounded like he was on our renter's side and we had to try to repair that.

arubabob
03-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Isnt he breaking Aruban law? Why don't the police get him out and deport him. They would me if I broke their law.

aquaman
03-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Isnt he breaking Aruban law? Why don't the police get him out and deport him. They would me if I broke their law.

Aruban law is actually Dutch Law. There are provisions that protect squatters. Seems he is the middle man. Those in the house/apartments are actually paying rent so that makes it very difficult to evict them under Dutch Law. Proof of his actions that are illegal will be required. I have put the owner in contact with the senior police inspector fir where their home is located. Hopefully that will start events. I have also put them in contact with an experienced property mediator who has experience with these issues

gaby
03-03-2015, 04:52 PM
I am NEVER buying property in Aruba. I thought it would be great but its not worth it. Unless I was living there full time and no one could squat, rent, etc, I would never buy. after seeing what lizzardo and now this member is going through, forget it. With all due respect, after seeing lizzardo's problems, the court system is basically useless in this regard and as a person who sat in a courtroom for 26 years, I know what I'm talking about. sorry, its not my fight but it aggravates me so much that they do nothing to protect home owners. basically, i can go to aruba, decide to find a house no one is in, break in, stay for three or four months rent free, then leave. and the home owners can't do a thing about it.

arubabob
03-03-2015, 07:37 PM
I am NEVER buying property in Aruba. I thought it would be great but its not worth it. Unless I was living there full time and no one could squat, rent, etc, I would never buy. after seeing what lizzardo and now this member is going through, forget it. With all due respect, after seeing lizzardo's problems, the court system is basically useless in this regard and as a person who sat in a courtroom for 26 years, I know what I'm talking about. sorry, its not my fight but it aggravates me so much that they do nothing to protect home owners. basically, i can go to aruba, decide to find a house no one is in, break in, stay for three or four months rent free, then leave. and the home owners can't do a thing about it.Looks like they cant do a thing about it even if the squatter stays.

ArubaAce
03-03-2015, 08:31 PM
That is unbelieveable! I guess the squaters knew what they were doing which is why they took advantage of the situation.

schexc
03-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Another unbelievable story. We too have had serious thoughts of investing in property on the island. I just can't believe that these events are even possible. It sounds like seeking out reliable sources of information on it's own is extremely time consuming, let alone purchasing a piece of property. We're definitely having second thoughts. Perhaps residency status and year attendance is one's only protection from these predators.

Andrea J.
03-03-2015, 10:41 PM
perhaps those that want to own and only be there part time............hire ME to be a caretaker.
disclosure: 2 cats and a dog ;)

gaby
03-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Andrea, I always said if I owned, I wouldn't rent. But if I did own, I would definitely let you, Paul, the two cats and dog house sit in the interum, lol. I went from a dog and four cats to two cats (not including the four I feed on my deck), so animals are NEVER a problem with me, lol. I'd rather you bring cats & dogs then people...

act1966
03-04-2015, 08:37 AM
perhaps those that want to own and only be there part time............hire ME to be a caretaker.
disclosure: 2 cats and a dog ;)

Ooh... sorry, the cats are a deal breaker! Allergic! How about a tent in the back and a pitcher of margaritas?

Andrea J.
03-04-2015, 08:44 AM
that would be fine too ;)
Ooh... sorry, the cats are a deal breaker! Allergic! How about a tent in the back and a pitcher of margaritas?

Aliwhite
03-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Thank you so much for the support, it is really hard to manage the property from another country that is the truth

Everyone is so helpful and lovely I cant thank you enough

The police are now investiagting so the next steps are to try and get him out

that would be fine too ;)

aquaman
03-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Thank you so much for the support, it is really hard to manage the property from another country that is the truth

Everyone is so helpful and lovely I cant thank you enough

The police are now investiagting so the next steps are to try and get him out

Hang in there. I have put you with a good Inspector in the Police and some other contacts who should be able to get things moving along

gaby
03-07-2015, 04:40 PM
its funny, when we drive down the road from the high rise to arashi (which road is that anyway, lol) but when we drive we would see these huge beautiful homes and they had every door & window with the hurricane shutters. I thought it was weird since we know aruba doesn't get hurricanes. i guess they figure if they are not there, no one can get in easily if they have those on the doors and windows.

cindyo
03-07-2015, 05:28 PM
John, you my friend are a good guy!

Hang in there. I have put you with a good Inspector in the Police and some other contacts who should be able to get things moving along

smoki
04-25-2015, 09:30 PM
John, you my friend are a good guy!

This is awful. We vacation every year in Aruba and always say we want to buy but Never, Ever would we unless we were to live there year round. It's Aruba's loss for not helping these people regain their properties.
I just don't understand how a person from Venezuela can legally live there as a squatter, Lizzaro's squatter lived in Aruba before he stole her house correct? It's just unbelievable that Aruba let's this go on and cannot change the Dutch law. I bet there are other people out there that this has happened to but we just have not heard about it. I wish there was something we could all do together to help them.

lizzardo
05-05-2015, 03:35 PM
This is awful. We vacation every year in Aruba and always say we want to buy but Never, Ever would we unless we were to live there year round. It's Aruba's loss for not helping these people regain their properties.
I just don't understand how a person from Venezuela can legally live there as a squatter, Lizzaro's squatter lived in Aruba before he stole her house correct? It's just unbelievable that Aruba let's this go on and cannot change the Dutch law. I bet there are other people out there that this has happened to but we just have not heard about it. I wish there was something we could all do together to help them.

Actually my tenant was not a squatter. We had a yearly lease saying it would be renewed for one year if both parties agreed. After the 2nd year we sent notice to the guy by registered aruba mail, email and never heard back. Only when Mick went to the house at the lease end did we find out that he had no intention of leaving. Now we have had him in our house for 2+ years and 'no contract' - we have no end date and the lease is supposed to be nullified but they can select clauses from it to threaten us but it seems we can not do the same. Sigh.

Aruba-Mark
07-14-2015, 06:52 PM
Any update on this person from Venezuela that is squatting here??