PDA

View Full Version : Serlimar or Ecotech ??

elephant_guy
10-21-2015, 05:04 AM
Not been on the island since Serlimar started charging for domestic garbage removal and currently don't have a company. Anyone got any recommendations, horror stories, advice re which provider is best value for money, providing the best service etc ??

Cheers

Mick

SkiChris
10-21-2015, 09:34 PM
Hi Mick - We currently have our trash picked up 2x per week and we have one Serlimar can and one Ecotech can. Historically we had 2 companies because Serlimar's trash service was always free of charge but was not that reliable so we added the paid service of Ecotech as a second trash pick up date. Having both services also allowed us to have 2 different days per week when trash would be removed. Ecotech is extremely reliable. Now that Serlimar has started to charge for the trash pick up, we are thinking of cancelling the Serlimar service but haven't taken any action yet as we're monitoring Serlimar to see if their service would improve. I'll be curious to see what other feedback you receive from the forum members on this topic.

elephant_guy
10-22-2015, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the reply SkiChris.

Unfortunately (!!) neither Serlimar nor Ecotech have their charges on their websites. If you don't mind me asking, is there much or a difference in monthly cost for domestic collection ? Also, talking about websites (forgive the digression), I don't suppose you happen to know what has happened to both the WEB and ELMAR websites as they have both have been unavailable for account/billing access for about 3 weeks now...

Many thanks

Mick

SkiChris
10-22-2015, 06:27 AM
Ecotech is AWG 25.63 per month. Their website is http://www.ecotecharuba.com/ . I have never used the on-line bill payment feature so can't provide much information there. For comparison, Serlimar's price is AWG 25.62 per month so the cost is pretty much the same for either company.

act1966
10-22-2015, 06:34 AM
Hi Mick - We currently have our trash picked up 2x per week and we have one Serlimar can and one Ecotech can. Historically we had 2 companies because Serlimar's trash service was always free of charge but was not that reliable so we added the paid service of Ecotech as a second trash pick up date. Having both services also allowed us to have 2 different days per week when trash would be removed. Ecotech is extremely reliable. Now that Serlimar has started to charge for the trash pick up, we are thinking of cancelling the Serlimar service but haven't taken any action yet as we're monitoring Serlimar to see if their service would improve. I'll be curious to see what other feedback you receive from the forum members on this topic.

Hi Chris - do you think there's been an improvement in Serlimar reliability since they started charging?

Andrea J.
10-22-2015, 07:29 AM
just wondering....

does the city/town/gvmt have trash/garbage pickup ? if so, is there an additional fee?
also is there recycling collection too?

act1966
10-22-2015, 09:33 AM
Yes. There are two companies that do trash pick up for residential: Selimar and ECOTech.

As far as I can tell, you choose which service (or both) you want and pay for that service either monthly or annually. It's around $300.

There's no formal curb side recycling or composting program but you can take recyclables to the Selimar landfill:

http://www.serlimar.org/index.php/landfills/parkietenbos/container-park

I guess they don't have the budget/infrastructure to support the trucks for recycling and compost... maybe in the future?

I can understand why Chris has two services: we have garbage, recycling and compost at home in Toronto (three containers) - trying to put everything in one container with one pick up per week is proving challenging! We're off to the dump/landfill - I'm sure that'll be an interesting post for the forum! LOL

elephant_guy
10-22-2015, 01:41 PM
Thanks so much for the replies.

Andrea - The Government/City/Town Garbage was previously undertaken by Serlimar for free as Serlimar is owned/controlled by the municipal authorities. Our mistaken belief (Silly Old Us !!) was that this was paid for from our local property taxes, which it was until it was decided that an additional charge should be levied on it. So its a bit of a double tax hit really by the Government.... Unless you go with ECOtech, but even then even if they don't get the extra money, its one less garbage bin for Serlimar to empty !!

Retagger
10-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Hi Mick, about seven years ago when we first completed building our home, we used Serlimar. Back then, even though we had a set schedule for the pickup, they never really stuck to it. They would come on different days each week and sometimes not at all. I had to call and complain a few times. About one year later, we switched to the paid service of Ecotech and have no regrets. They come on the assigned days and they will take just about anything.

elephant_guy
10-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Hi Mick, about seven years ago when we first completed building our home, we used Serlimar. Back then, even though we had a set schedule for the pickup, they never really stuck to it. They would come on different days each week and sometimes not at all. I had to call and complain a few times. About one year later, we switched to the paid service of Ecotech and have no regrets. They come on the assigned days and they will take just about anything.

Thanks Retagger. Think that's probably my decision made. Is there a minimum contract period or if I left the island for 6 months is it possible to activate and deactivate collection ? Have looked on the website but there is nothing about minimum contract terms etc..

Retagger
10-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Not sure if you can stop service for when you are not on the island. I leave mine active all of the time. My home is not always occupied but I feel that it is cheap enough to keep the service going even it it is not being used.

elephant_guy
10-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Thanks David. Also hope to make some progress with my Solar Installation over Xmas and the New Year. Will Post how I get on when its all installed.. Cheers..

SkiChris
10-23-2015, 07:06 AM
Unfortunately, I have not seen an improvement to the Serlimar garbage service since they started charging for it. Serlimar will show up each week to pick up the garbage but the schedule is variable (sometimes they show up on a completely different day than our assigned pick up day) making it hard to plan when to put out our garbage container for pick up. The Serlimar garbage container is a larger size than the Ecotech container so that is the advantage to their service but I agree with the comments above that the reliability of the Ecotech service is head and shoulders above Serlimar. The Ecotech arrives on the same day each week and typically at the same time (within a 1 hr window). In fact, Ecotech will even send us an email if the truck came to pick up the garbage and was unable to complete the job (for example, if we forgot to roll the garbage can out of the garage to the street). You can pay for the Ecotech service by the month, vs for a year so it would be possible to inactivate it when you are not on the island.

act1966
10-23-2015, 07:28 AM
Unfortunately, I have not seen an improvement to the Serlimar garbage service since they started charging for it. Serlimar will show up each week to pick up the garbage but the schedule is variable (sometimes they show up on a completely different day than our assigned pick up day) making it hard to plan when to put out our garbage container for pick up. The Serlimar garbage container is a larger size than the Ecotech container so that is the advantage to their service but I agree with the comments above that the reliability of the Ecotech service is head and shoulders above Serlimar. The Ecotech arrives on the same day each week and typically at the same time (within a 1 hr window). In fact, Ecotech will even send us an email if the truck came to pick up the garbage and was unable to complete the job (for example, if we forgot to roll the garbage can out of the garage to the street). You can pay for the Ecotech service by the month, vs for a year so it would be possible to inactivate it when you are not on the island.

Thanks for the info, Chris.

We've been here for two weeks now and Serlimar was chosen by our property manager. They've been consistent - I know that's not an indication of longevity in the consistency department but it's been working so far. I actually went out and met the crew this morning as we had some overflow and they had no problem accepting the excess. But, given the challenges we've heard about, we won't be leaving any food waste in the bin when we're leaving (we'll just ask a neighbour to take it for us) - the last thing we want to come back to is a garbage explosion that's been sitting in the sun for weeks.

We'll monitor and report back if we see any degradation in service.

I like that there's competition - hopefully it'll keep everyone on their toes!

Dreamer
10-23-2015, 02:26 PM
I would also like to know what happened to WEB and Elmar websites with regards to billing. It is difficult to take care of paying the bills when you cannot access them!

yefim8
10-23-2015, 10:33 PM
i was told elmar site will be up shortly but it was 2 weeks ago.

elephant_guy
10-24-2015, 08:08 AM
I would also like to know what happened to WEB and Elmar websites with regards to billing. It is difficult to take care of paying the bills when you cannot access them!

Web Website Back up and running today for Bill Payment after 3 week of being not working. Elmar is still down for Account checking and Bill Payment.

Can now pay water bill... :(:(:(:(:(:D

elephant_guy
10-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Web Website Back up and running today for Bill Payment after 3 week of being not working. Elmar is still down for Account checking and Bill Payment.

Can now pay water bill... :(:(:(:(:(:D

And now the WEB website has gone down again... ELMAR still not up - Something serious must have happened a few weeks ago for things not to be resolved by now....

yefim8
10-28-2015, 06:48 PM
hope it means we do not have to pay them no more

yefim8
11-05-2015, 05:04 PM
just to keep tread active .i sent twice request to ecotech if can open an account from 01/01/2016.they sent both time message how happy they are to get my request and that i will get answer in a 48 hours.it was 8 days ago

SkiChris
11-05-2015, 06:07 PM
I just laughed out loud at your post, yefim8. We all know Aruba is about taking it slow and normally love that about the island, but it's funny how nerve racking it can be when trying to conduct business. FYI - I'll be in Aruba in early December and plan to stop by the Ecotech office to pay my annual bill (if you pay 12 months up front, you get one free). So feel free to send me a pm if you'd like me to get info or request a contact for you. I'm happy to assist.

Andrea J.
11-05-2015, 06:19 PM
........off topic sort of

There are MANY kind and wonderful people on this forum.
Many of us look for the positive (Pollyanna) and are extremely helpful.

In this case it is Chris......SKICHRIS

It is so nice to read something kind......instead of snarkiness and negativity which happens on many sites.

:)

yefim8
11-06-2015, 12:52 AM
Thank you.sending it right now.

elephant_guy
12-10-2015, 04:24 AM
Just a quick update. Arrived in Aruba, found an Ecotech Office in Noord at Shaba. Its shared with ATCO (The Cement, Paving Company). Office is more or less opposite the Do It Centre next to a bakery. Normal contract is for a minimum of 12 months, but the kind lady on the desk made a call and I was permitted to take out a 6 month contract. Money paid in advance and a massive bin was delivered the next day. Pick ups have been in the early (very early..) hours of Sunday morning.. Seems to be a good and reliable service so far... No recycling bins etc provided though and despite lots of Ecotech advertising on leaflets and drinks cans saying "Please Recycle" nobody can tell me (even Ecotech !!) where I should take my cans/cardboard etc to.... If I find out more I will pass it in.....

elephant_guy
12-10-2015, 04:30 AM
Also spoke to Elmar as all emails had been ignored... The website has been down for 12 weeks because of a (embarrassed and lengthy pause by Elmar Employee) technical issue.. When asked how non Aruba residents not on the island could view or pay their bills there was no answer apart from "The website should be working again soon". When I asked when ? The reply was " Sometime at the end of January...” . Sounds like a serious issue..

act1966
12-10-2015, 06:08 AM
Just a quick update. Arrived in Aruba, found an Ecotech Office in Noord at Shaba. Its shared with ATCO (The Cement, Paving Company). Office is more or less opposite the Do It Centre next to a bakery. Normal contract is for a minimum of 12 months, but the kind lady on the desk made a call and I was permitted to take out a 6 month contract. Money paid in advance and a massive bin was delivered the next day. Pick ups have been in the early (very early..) hours of Sunday morning.. Seems to be a good and reliable service so far... No recycling bins etc provided though and despite lots of Ecotech advertising on leaflets and drinks cans saying "Please Recycle" nobody can tell me (even Ecotech !!) where I should take my cans/cardboard etc to.... If I find out more I will pass it in.....

We ended up taking our recycling to the dump where they had separate bins. No battery disposal though.

aquaman
12-10-2015, 08:58 PM
What's the difference? Ecotech and Serlimar share the same rotten dump

yefim8
12-11-2015, 09:36 PM
seems like Aruba is inching closer to become a Brooklyn, New York

Retagger
12-11-2015, 10:53 PM
I have Elmar and am very happy with their service. The only issue (not a complaint at all a just an annoyance) I have with them is they pick up trash in my neighborhood between 2am-3am every Wednesday. All the area dogs start to bark like a party is going on. That forces me to get up and drink a Chill...

aquaman
12-12-2015, 06:52 AM
I have Elmar and am very happy with their service. The only issue (not a complaint at all a just an annoyance) I have with them is they pick up trash in my neighborhood between 2am-3am every Wednesday. All the area dogs start to bark like a party is going on. That forces me to get up and drink a Chill...

David, you make me smile! Do you have electric garbage? Elmar is the electricity company. (Lol )

Retagger
12-12-2015, 07:22 AM
I can't blame that mistake on my iPad auto correct... I meant to type Ecotech.

aquaman
12-12-2015, 07:51 AM
I can't blame that mistake on my iPad auto correct... I meant to type Ecotech.

Ah......thought it might be Balashi induced creative writing

Wernerjb
06-29-2016, 05:44 PM
In the past the garbage pickup was included in the property taxes, but AVP needed more money so the make as pay now separately. When they ran for government about 6 years ago, they promised to get rid of the 3% BBO, now we are up to 3.5% plus the additional 10% for the garbage pickup. Talking about keeping promises! And this in a country with the highest income tax worldwide.
Oh well, needed to get this off my chest.
So here is the question.
I'm confused now with Serlimar. On their web-sites it says that they will take 1 - 33 Gallon bag with yard waste once a week but if you dig further on their web-site it says that they will not take any yard waste. This spring I went to their office and paid the bill and received a new garbage can the next day. In addition to filling the garbage can with kitchen waste I put some pretty large (55 gallons) bags out filled with yard waste and they took it every time. I sometimes even put out 5 bags of yard waste and it was gone. Now however they refuse even to take one bag of yard waste. I paid in full for this year so I guess I will not get my money back if I cancel the service. But the big question is - is the charge for Serlimar mandatory (I heard this from some of my Aruban friends).

elephant_guy
06-30-2016, 04:25 PM
In the past the garbage pickup was included in the property taxes, but AVP needed more money so the make as pay now separately. When they ran for government about 6 years ago, they promised to get rid of the 3% BBO, now we are up to 3.5% plus the additional 10% for the garbage pickup. Talking about keeping promises! And this in a country with the highest income tax worldwide.
Oh well, needed to get this off my chest.
So here is the question.
I'm confused now with Serlimar. On their web-sites it says that they will take 1 - 33 Gallon bag with yard waste once a week but if you dig further on their web-site it says that they will not take any yard waste. This spring I went to their office and paid the bill and received a new garbage can the next day. In addition to filling the garbage can with kitchen waste I put some pretty large (55 gallons) bags out filled with yard waste and they took it every time. I sometimes even put out 5 bags of yard waste and it was gone. Now however they refuse even to take one bag of yard waste. I paid in full for this year so I guess I will not get my money back if I cancel the service. But the big question is - is the charge for Serlimar mandatory (I heard this from some of my Aruban friends).

In the end we simply sent Serlimar an email informing them that we no longer required garbage collection and requested acknowledgement which they provided.

We then just went into the Ecotech/Atco Office situated at Shaba and signed up with Ecotech. Really nice lady in there arranged for us to only have a 6 month contract (rather than the usual 12 months) as we are only on the island for that period. We paid in advance and the garbage bin was delivered within a few days and collections started that week. No further bills received from Serlimar...