PDA

View Full Version : air conditioners and washers and dryers

robin
08-11-2018, 08:49 PM
Replacing central air in Aruba is expensive. We are replacing our system with an inverter type of air conditioner-the work should have started today. This is a need to do rather than a want to do. The musty smell is really bad and even after having the vents cleaned it came back. The unit is old, loud and our electric bills are over $500 a month. The new Lennox system will be almost $15,000 florins or about $9000-OUCH. :( I'm hoping we can save $200 a month in electric(based on what other units have saved by putting in the same system).

The dryer has been dying a slow death, and the washer is starting to rust. I wanted a front load washer and dryer, but the space is so shallow, I could only get a top load washer. Since our property managers deal with Lowes and have a person they use in Miami, it was a fairly painless process so far. I picked what would fit and I liked-not that there were too many options due to size and that I wanted Whirlpool based on previous experience. I also wanted Energy Star, but the top load ones and the electric dryers that would fit the space are not Energy Star. I did get a washer without an agitator, so large blankets can go in and the biggie-I can almost reach all areas of the bottom of the washer. Both were on sale and I got 10% with the Lowes credit card(total with cord and hoses about $1100) :). I have no idea what the shipping and taxes will be.

BTW-Washers and dryers are available in Aruba, but the condo complex does not have gas and almost all dryers brought in for sale in Aruba are gas, so ordering from US is the best selection and least expensive route to go.

Jacki
08-12-2018, 07:07 AM
Good luck with the new stuff! Life sure is expensive!

Pegmeister
08-12-2018, 07:19 AM
We have the inverter style ac here at home and find them to be very cost effective, as well as, quiet. With all your new appliances you shouldn’t have to worry about replacements for awhile.

schexc
08-12-2018, 08:35 AM
Ouch!

Andrea J.
08-12-2018, 09:27 AM
I am shocked reading of your current electric bill.

robin
08-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Electric and water are very expensive in Aruba. Even before we put up solar panels on our home, we were paying less in electric in the summer on a almost 3000sq.ft house with two air cons and 4 people than the 1500 sq. foot condo in Aruba with one AC. Our water bill per month is also more than the summer months here and our sprinkler goes on every other day and our home is on a 105x155 ft. lot.

I am shocked reading of your current electric bill.

Andrea J.
08-12-2018, 12:13 PM
our elec bill in FLA averages............$150 per month ......summer usually $180......winter usually $120.
our house is 2100 sq ft.

the upside, is we have no oil or gas bills to pay in winter for heat. (just elec)

we have been looking into the split inverter units for our house instead of the central air co.
inverter units are not popular here and it is frustrating, especially at night air conditioning the whole house to 70 degrees, when we only want the bedroom to be cool.

so next time I complain about my bill, I will think of you and be grateful that I am not maintaining a home in Aruba.

good luck robin!

how much do you think that the shipping and duty will be on the new appliances?

robin
08-12-2018, 12:16 PM
how much do you think that the shipping and duty will be on the new appliances?

I do not know right now. I am waiting to find out.

schexc
08-12-2018, 01:23 PM
We have two split inverter units at our condo in Aruba. Most people we have talked to say that inverter units will save you about 50% over the older converntional units. The ability to cool individual areas in the unit are a huge plus. We close our bedroom door at night and shut the living area off completely. That being said our monthy water and electric bill for a month on the island averages about $115.00. However our unit is only 635 square feet, which is considerably smaller than Robin and Stu's. So far in the off season we experienced about a 60% occupancy and we're pleased with the conscientiousness of the tenants, averaging about $60.00 per month for water and electric. We have a small ranch here in the states at 1920 square feet, not counting the finished basement. The basement is 3/4 finished, so about 3600 square feet total, which we heat and cool year round. Our monthly gas and electric bill averages about $130.00 a month. So far we haven't minded giving up the square footage for a piece of paradise, as we spend the majority of our day outside.

annf
08-13-2018, 01:25 PM
Yikes Robin!! We have a large home on the island with splits in every room...only 2 are inverters. We run 2 most of the day. Even with a house full of guests and all 3 bedrooms running airco overnight our electric bill has never been $500! Hope you notice a significant reduction with the new system!

robin
08-13-2018, 05:41 PM
Thank-you everyone! We are surely hoping to recoup our investment in electrical savings. All of you make it sound like it will really happen.

act1966
08-16-2018, 03:08 PM
electric and water are very expensive in aruba.

yesssssssss!

robin
08-16-2018, 04:00 PM
When the pulled the inside component of the air con, they found a duct behind it. It had a lot of mildew/mold and that was the reason for the continued odor in the condo even though all the ducts were cleaned. This one was not visible, so they did not know it was there. The company was called back and it was cleaned. All the other ductwork was checked and it was fine, so they are moving on with the install.

I still haven't gotten all the info on the shipping and duty, but I was told the shipping is a few hundred $$$ and she thinks the duty is 2% on washers and 12% on dryers, so about $75-85 I think which isn't bad especially since it would have about cost that much in sales tax here(no sales tax in US because it is going out of the country). It is what it is. It's a need to have not a want to have.

robin
08-28-2018, 02:01 PM
I got the news that the air conditioning was completed last week and the condo is free of any mildew odors. They replaced the old grating/access panel in the master bath with a solid one that looks like they made it out of sheetrock. They moved the thermostat's location from the master bedroom to the hallway just outside of the bedroom which should provide for a more balanced cooling in the condo. They do need to do some touch up painting. I am still going to bring some air fresheners to clip on to the vents just in case I need them. FYI-someone who owns in our building suggested to use the Febreez car clip-ons air fresheners on our vents(that is what they do) and it works really well. They are expensive in Aruba and I pick them up here with coupons in BJs. (I made my son put them on his vents in his bedroom here, too)

Lowes in Miami is waiting for the dryer from Whirlpool to come in so they can ship both the washer and dryer at the same time. Prestige also ordered a dryer for another unit and everything will be shipped together.

GETA62
08-28-2018, 10:52 PM
Just FYI for home owners. Crown have 50% off on entire store for some type of anniversary. Sale will end this Friday. Very good deals on washing machines and refrigerators.

robin
10-23-2018, 11:21 PM
Our washer and dryer finally made it to our condo and the dryer is badly damaged. I am so frustrated. Our property manager is going to file a claim with the shipper. She is calling a tech to see if it is cosmetic or if there is a bigger problem. Hopefully, they can just replace the smashed pieces and scratched panel, but the damage looks bad. It is a $599.00 dryer I got on sale for $539.00 then I got 10% instead of 5% off using my Lowes card. That doesn't include shipping and duty(I don't have those #s yet.

I have no idea why the picture flipped when I imported it. 7333

__steve__
10-24-2018, 10:10 AM
Top load washers seem to last much longer and wash clothes better anyway.

robin
10-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Top load washers seem to last much longer and wash clothes better anyway.
I’m really short and can’t reach the bottom of some top load machines. ��

Pegmeister
10-24-2018, 02:58 PM
I’m really short and can’t reach the bottom of some top load machines. ��

I totally relate to not being able to reach the bottom of the washer! I keep a foot stool next to the machine. Hope, you get a quick resolution to the dryer situation!!

robin
11-07-2018, 06:05 PM
So I get an email last night from our property manager about our dryer. There was a mix up with my dryer and one ordered for a different condo that was delivered at the same time. When our property manager went to double check the model number, she discovered they put my dryer in the wrong condo and vise versa. They both look exactly alike, but ours is a long vent and the other one is not.

WaltVB
11-08-2018, 09:50 PM
So is yours not damaged?

robin
11-08-2018, 10:39 PM
No. The damaged one belongs to a different condo. They mixed up the boxes.

robin
04-06-2019, 10:21 AM
I think we are starting to see if replacing the AC is going to save money. Our February bill was $130 less than last February. Next month we will see if it is the same. I think they must have had our curtains open the previous months when no one was in the unit.

schexc
04-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Unfortunately, most don’t treat it like they’re paying the bill, except the owners.

We were sitting outside the condo one night by the pool, and there was an upper floor one bedroom unit with the entry door propped open with a chair. Cathy says, I hope they don’t have the A/C on and I said, maybe they’re just enjoying the night breeze. I could see the split A/C unit as we passed by and the temp was set at 17C, with the connecting door to the adjacent room closed. I would want to strangle that tenant.

I think we are starting to see if replacing the AC is going to save money. Our February bill was $130 less than last February. Next month we will see if it is the same. I think they must have had our curtains open the previous months when no one was in the unit.

robin
04-07-2019, 01:51 AM
I also think that part of the reason we didn't see a drop the first few months is the issues we had we the thermostat being defective and dropping the temp int he condo to below 70 when no one was there.

I know renters don't care. I did send an email to our property manager to ask the renters to keep the curtains closed in the pm especially if they are not in the unit. Some renters of other units told us they were required to close the curtains in the afternoon. If we could save $125 a month over last year, that would be a $1500 a year savings. That's a lot to save on electric.

Unfortunately, most don’t treat it like they’re paying the bill, except the owners.

We were sitting outside the condo one night by the pool, and there was an upper floor one bedroom unit with the entry door propped open with a chair. Cathy says, I hope they don’t have the A/C on and I said, maybe they’re just enjoying the night breeze. I could see the split A/C unit as we passed by and the temp was set at 17C, with the connecting door to the adjacent room closed. I would want to strangle that tenant.

Aruba4ever
04-07-2019, 10:29 AM
A quote from my of my all-time favorites Milton Friedman. "Nobody spends someone else's money like they spend their own."

robin
04-09-2019, 09:48 PM
So true.

A quote from my of my all-time favorites Milton Friedman. "Nobody spends someone else's money like they spend their own."