PDA

View Full Version : Canceling? Procedures? Expectations? Trip Insurance?

Andrea J.
03-14-2020, 10:16 AM
Let me start with.........some of the travel insurance policies have a no reimbursement clause mentioning "pandemic" as their reason.

If you are lucky your resort may have. policy where your monies are refunded.
Remember, that timeshare maintenance fees are not refundable.

If you have rented from an owner, ideally you will be given a refund.
Not necessarily ideally, but a credit to use at another time would be acceptable to some.

If the government stops flights in to Aruba and the cancling is not your decision...does that make any difference to your refund or credit?
(meaning that the owner cannot deliver the product)

This is all very new.

What have been your experiences so far if you have cancelled?

Disclosure:
pandemic is listed as a non refundable reason on my policy.
(We are renting 2 weeks at LaCabana April 30)
Our air is in miles so those can be redeposited back into out SWA mile account.

stoney4555
03-14-2020, 11:49 AM
As of yesterday we were still planning on leaving March 16th. That all changed when the 2 Corona cases were diagnosed. We went thru all of the “what if’s”. What if the airports closed or if we were quarantined somewhere. Well, let me get back on topic. I called United’s 800 number this morning and it was over a 2hr wait. I went to their website and cancelled online and printed off my credit for future travel (full credit back). Then thanks to Peg saying that Manchebo had changed their refund/change policy, I just emailed them requesting a refund because I don’t know when we can reschedule. I was kicking myself for not insuring our trip but it seems to have all worked out. We’re beyond disappointed but for us it’s the right decision. We’re over 60 and just don’t want to take a chance. Aruba will be there.

cpjones
03-14-2020, 12:07 PM
I'm OK with Manchebo..... a bit concerned about airfare... but still not at the point to consider cancelling out June 30 trip.

Pegmeister
03-14-2020, 01:58 PM
We have not yet decided to cancel although we see it as a real possibility. Both Manchebo and Renaissance have 24 hour no penalty policies in effect so no issues there. Jetblue has waived cancellation fees through April 30th and since we don’t leave until May 5th we’ll hold off and see if they extend it. Flights were booked on points so the only thing we would lose would be the fees.

It’s all wait an see and hope everyone stays healthy.

WaltVB
03-14-2020, 03:14 PM
We're still a little over 5 weeks out. Hotel I can cancel up to a couple of days prior. Delta sent me an email with my options to reschedule/cancel. Timeshare just goes back in the bank for later. I haven't actually paid yet for the car, hopefully Hans will be okay with a cancellation should the need occur. We have travel insurance, but I doubt it will do any good if we have to cancel. I guess our fate rests in the hands of the Aruba government. I won't cancel until they stop flights from the US.

schexc
03-14-2020, 03:49 PM
We are scheduled to leave in 19 days. We’re watching what the governments and airlines do. As of right now, we have no plans to leave early. If we were to get stranded here, we have a place to stay and the means. We are both relatively healthy, so as much as we wouldn’t want to become infected, we anticipate only the symptoms, much like back in the states. Although our county has no reported cases, as of this morning, neighboring counties have confirmed cases.

cpjones
03-14-2020, 04:29 PM
We are scheduled to leave in 19 days. We’re watching what the governments and airlines do. As of right now, we have no plans to leave early. If we were to get stranded here, we have a place to stay and the means. We are both relatively healthy, so as much as we wouldn’t want to become infected, we anticipate only the symptoms, much like back in the states. Although our county has no reported cases, as of this morning, neighboring counties have confirmed cases.
…..and I frankly feel that there are many thousands of cases in the US that have not been diagnosed yet....

robin
03-14-2020, 06:08 PM
We are here to April 1st. We are taking it day by day. We keep having people from home telling us to stay here. We don't know what will happen here now that the virus is on the island. We have no booking until June, so we have a place to stay. There is no cases in our county as of right now. David has a few days off-he was off to attend an EMS symposium, but they cancelled it. I still really worry about him.

rpumpire
03-15-2020, 10:30 AM
I am due to leave for Aruba two weeks from today. In the coming days, I will evaluate whether or not to make the trip.

As I write this, I am at my resort at Disney World. I was due to be here until Thursday, but I am heading home this afternoon.

NH Mark
03-15-2020, 11:31 AM
Having recently returned from traveling outside the country recently and upon returning having had occasion to go to local hospital for routine appointments, my thoughts. I think that the wrong questions are being asked, such as “Have you traveled out of the country in the past 21 days?” and if so “Have you returned from out of the country in the past 15 days?” and if so “What country have you visited?”

We know that CoVid-19 remains viable on hard flat surfaces for 48-hours. Think of the trays that we all need to place our stuff on at the TSA screening stations. Imagine how many tens of thousands of hands had touched that same tray in the previous 48 hours?

So, I think that the proper question should be “Have you traveled through an airport terminal in the past 21 days?” By not asking this simple question I think that many folks are carrying, don’t know it, and are being allowed in places they should not be allowed.

rpumpire
03-15-2020, 08:14 PM
So, I think that the proper question should be “Have you traveled through an airport terminal in the past 21 days?” By not asking this simple question I think that many folks are carrying, don’t know it, and are being allowed in places they should not be allowed.

With TSA pre-check, I rarely use those trays. I didn't when I traveled home from Florida today. The only exception, when I must use them, is leaving Aruba.

So, Mark, you would be have me flagged just because I went through the airport on a domestic flight today, when a trip to the grocery store could be equally, or perhaps, more risky.

In these times, though, I will admit to being quite happy that I had the three seats in my airplane row all to myself. A most pleasant surprise!

Be safe, everyone!
Rich

robin
03-15-2020, 08:52 PM
I had sent an email to Prestige today asking about cancellations. I was told that since Thursday, that is all they have been dealing with. Yes, they had people coming in but more have been cancelling. She also said that there are those who come later in the year and want to move it up because they want out of their area and want to take advantage of the lower airfares and rates.

Andrea J.
03-15-2020, 09:59 PM
this thread...........
let's talk about cancelling, refunds, and waiting it out.

I am hoping that we will all stay on topic.
Walt and I will delete if things go off topic.

Emotions now are high.
We are all frustrated.

phrogg108
03-15-2020, 10:33 PM
We have now canceled our trip. Thankfully, we got a full refund from AirBnB, our car rental and we are saving our plane ticket payment for another trip. The one thing I haven't gotten a response on yet was our snorkel trip with Blue Melody/Black Pearl, but I will try and contact them again tomorrow or Tuesday. If anyone has any suggestions on the best way to get a hold of them, please let me know.

Andrea J.
03-15-2020, 10:52 PM
I am sure that since it is impossible for you to go to Aruba now that travel there is not allowed til at least after March 31, then your credit card will be credited for the amount.
If you had cancelled for "just because" reason, then there may not be a refund....but, this is different. Travel to aruba is disallowed so that seems like a slam dunk on a refund/credit to your credit card.

We have now canceled our trip. Thankfully, we got a full refund from AirBnB, our car rental and we are saving our plane ticket payment for another trip. The one thing I haven't gotten a response on yet was our snorkel trip with Blue Melody/Black Pearl, but I will try and contact them again tomorrow or Tuesday. If anyone has any suggestions on the best way to get a hold of them, please let me know.

phrogg108
03-16-2020, 02:09 PM
Just got word from Blue Melody and we are all good there. I can only imagine what impact this will have on their business, as well as many, many other small businesses all over the world.

robin
03-16-2020, 02:37 PM
Just got word from Blue Melody and we are all good there. I can only imagine what impact this will have on their business, as well as many, many other small businesses all over the world.
Us too. What day are you going? We are Thursday evening

phrogg108
03-16-2020, 02:51 PM
Us too. What day are you going? We are Thursday evening

I meant that we were able to cancel our snorkel trip. :( We were scheduled for 3/25 (next Wednesday), but since we cannot make it into Aruba at all, we had to cancel. :(

Andrea J.
03-16-2020, 06:04 PM
Blue Melody did the right and logical thing!

Aruba Ariba
03-17-2020, 06:45 AM
Hi Andrea

We have not had a great experience with getting a refund or changing our dates with our villa rental company. We did ask to choose different dates, but they wanted to charge us all over again. To date we have had to cancel and lost all of our money due to there zero flexibility. Aruba have said they are not excepting flights from the uk and certain other countries until the 31st of March. Then it will be assessed at that date, BUT klm have still not announced any flight cancellations yet. So it is all up in the air. I am not happy because most hotels and villa rental companies in Aruba have been sympathetic to the situation and are at least offering some kind of resolution. So BEWARE, there are some out there that will exploit this current situation.

aquaman
03-17-2020, 08:35 AM
Hi Andrea

We have not had a great experience with getting a refund or changing our dates with our villa rental company. We did ask to choose different dates, but they wanted to charge us all over again. To date we have had to cancel and lost all of our money due to there zero flexibility. Aruba have said they are not excepting flights from the uk and certain other countries until the 31st of March. Then it will be assessed at that date, BUT klm have still not announced any flight cancellations yet. So it is all up in the air. I am not happy because most hotels and villa rental companies in Aruba have been sympathetic to the situation and are at least offering some kind of resolution. So BEWARE, there are some out there that will exploit this current situation.

As an owner of 2 villas that I rent to vacationers through certain rental agencies here, can you please tell me who this was so I can avoid dealing with someone who is taking advantage in a bad situation.

Andrea J.
03-17-2020, 08:57 AM
that is unfortunate.
if you would message me the name of the company I can pass the information along to the Aruba Tourism Authority
or feel free to post the name of the company here.

I believe that folks should at the very least be given future credit.
I believe that a reputable person/place would offer a full refund.

I read yesterday on another forum that a couple left their hotel a few days early and tried to fly home.
Unfortunately their flight that they hoped to be on was either cancelled or they could not get on for some reason.
They returned to the hotel where they had been for 11 days prior and the nightly rate given was significantly higher that what they had been paying. They messaged me, I put them in touch with owner services at LaCabana and they were able to rent there from an owner at less than $600 for a week.

It is a strange time.

Hi Andrea

MinJeeBoys
03-17-2020, 03:53 PM
I have an Allianz policy that is very broad in coverage. However, one stated exclusion is "epidemic" as declared by World Health Organization. I know its a weasel clause in their policy but as far as I'm concern, there is no epidemic in Aruba and technically, pandemic has a different definition. staying hopeful. Hope is better than having to deal with American Airlines customer service. Be safe all.

Aruba Ariba
03-17-2020, 04:22 PM
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for offering assistance. The rental company is called Renthouse Aruba. We emailed them to see if we could change our dates and asked them to contact the owner and the manager of the rental company to see if they would be flexible and change our dates to later in the year when this has all blown over, but they said no, we would incurr costs and have to rebook and pay again. we didnt want to cancel, we just wanted to go at a later date but not have to pay twice. I am devastated that we can't go to Aruba but as they have closed the borders and Renthouse Aruba wont help, we didnt have a choice. They didnt seem to care. I would never book with them again. I can send you there response if you like and you can forward it onto the Aruban Tourist Authority. we were just unfortunate with this rental company.

Andrea J.
03-17-2020, 05:24 PM
I am sending you a private message

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for offering assistance. The rental company is called Renthouse Aruba. We emailed them to see if we could change our dates and asked them to contact the owner and the manager of the rental company to see if they would be flexible and change our dates to later in the year when this has all blown over, but they said no, we would incurr costs and have to rebook and pay again. we didnt want to cancel, we just wanted to go at a later date but not have to pay twice. I am devastated that we can't go to Aruba but as they have closed the borders and Renthouse Aruba wont help, we didnt have a choice. They didnt seem to care. I would never book with them again. I can send you there response if you like and you can forward it onto the Aruban Tourist Authority. we were just unfortunate with this rental company.

Andrea J.
03-17-2020, 05:25 PM
a declared epidemic world wide is pandemic.
I do not like the weasel clause in my travel insurance either.
we still have not cancelled.
our departure date is April 30
I have an Allianz policy that is very broad in coverage. However, one stated exclusion is "epidemic" as declared by World Health Organization. I know its a weasel clause in their policy but as far as I'm concern, there is no epidemic in Aruba and technically, pandemic has a different definition. staying hopeful. Hope is better than having to deal with American Airlines customer service. Be safe all.

Aruba Ariba
03-18-2020, 10:01 AM
sent you the info Andrea :)

~Amy~®
03-18-2020, 11:37 AM
Have not cancelled for late April (Delta) but may push the dates back by a week or so since there are currently no change fees to do so. Checked with my hotel and car rental and both are available for the new dates I'm looking at. Plan B is to change to November dates or New Years Eve. Hard to say though right now when we are juggling other trips as well. Will make a decision probably before April 1.

No cancellations penalties with my airline, hotel, or car rental so I am free to make whatever decision I need to.

aquaman
03-20-2020, 12:09 PM
Hi Andrea,

Sorry to hear about this. I have had friends who did rent through RentHouse but circumstances were obviously a lot different. They did not have issues. I personally have never dealt with them for rentals. I should mention that when we purchased our Villas here, we did not know they represented the sellers. We used Coldwell Banker and Aruba Living Today to handle the purchase. In both cases, RentHouse pulled unethical and devious stunts, including stripping items from the houses....washer, dryer, drip system timers and pumps...and so on. I was able to get the notary here to take action that forced them to make restitution. I find it alarming that they still behave in this manner. We have heard from others about horror stories involving the owners of RentHouse.

To anyone considering dealing with them, be careful.

~Amy~®
03-30-2020, 10:00 AM
Just changed my dates today with airline (Delta), hotel (Amsterdam Manor), and car rental (Tropic). No change/cancellation fees and there were never any deposits required so all is good. The April/May trip to Aruba is now booked for 2 weeks in early November.

Jayshea
03-30-2020, 03:32 PM
I can honestly say I think the money I payed to an owner at ABC will not be returned as I have heard nothing from them. I get where they are coming from because they still have to pay their yearly fee and they didn’t make much money from my rental so that being said I will probably no longer rent timeshares in the future. I believe I heard that Divi will keep my down payment of 1 night in May- so my husband says he will no longer stay there- this seems wrong if I cant come to Aruba then my money should be returned. I seriously doubt that any of us will get to go in May. We probably will explore other places to vacation in the future- in the US. I love Aruba- it’s my happy place but my husband could take it or leave it. He always asks me about visiting other islands. We will see what the future holds...

Pegmeister
03-30-2020, 03:43 PM
I notified the Manchebo this morning. Within minutes Vivian notified me that the cancellation was received and the refund processed. Can’t say enough good things about the staff! I notified the Renaissance to cancel the cabana as that was already paid for. I got an out of office type response with a direction to contact the front desk which I did. While I haven’t heard anything back I do believe the Renaissance is currently closed and expect the cancellation process will take a bit.

Jayshea
03-30-2020, 03:54 PM
So sad we are not going- I am still working through this( grocery store essential worker:(:() and really need a vacation when this is done.

Pegmeister
03-30-2020, 04:06 PM
I no sooner finished posting and got a response from the Renaissance with instructions on how to cancel the cabana online. So, we’re all set. Kind of sad BUT booked for November and hope to manage a cabana reservation for that trip. It’s something to look forward to.

Jayshea, I think it’s too bad that Divi would keep back money but if you booked on the Cyber sale it would be one of the conditions. It wasn’t always that way but the sale was so popular they added stricter terms. Still it surprises me as other hotels are being so good about cancellations.

Pegmeister
03-30-2020, 04:20 PM
So sad we are not going- I am still working through this( grocery store essential worker:(:() and really need a vacation when this is done.

Many thanks for your work at the grocery store!!!! You are more essential than you may even know. I’m so appreciative of people who work in these essential areas.

Andrea J.
03-30-2020, 04:22 PM
agree
thanks Jayna.
Many thanks for your work at the grocery store!!!! You are more essential than you may even know. I’m so appreciative of people who work in these essential areas.

WaltVB
03-31-2020, 04:43 PM
Just rescheduled for July. Chuck, we might get to have that drink we've talked about!

cpjones
03-31-2020, 10:35 PM
Just rescheduled for July. Chuck, we might get to have that drink we've talked about!

Walt.... nothing would please me more.... but I really don't have a lot of confidence in things being where they need to be on the USA end.... hope, but who knows. I'm keeping the trip plan intact til the last minute!

Andrea J.
03-31-2020, 10:43 PM
We made it official...........well SWA made it official.
SWA will not resume operations to Aruba til June 7.

All our points have been deposited back into our SWA accounts and the taxes refunded back to our credit card.

We are bummed, but now have Nov 26 to look forward to.

The people that we are renting from, have offered to refund. :)

Pegmeister
03-31-2020, 10:51 PM
I just checked to see if my JetBlue flight is valid for May 5 and it is. I’m just waiting for them to cancel before I do. However, when I looked under manage my trip and bring up my reservation it shows that my credit card was charged $326 more than when I originally booked it back in December. They did reschedule to an earlier flight so I thought something happened there. The flight change notification mentions nothing about a change in fare. I checked my credit card account and my card was not actually charged. So now I don’t know what’s going on. Guess I just have to keep an eye on it.

rpumpire
04-02-2020, 10:50 PM
It's now official that my May 13-17 trip (for a friend's daughter's wedding) is off. For this trip, I was going to be at the Holiday Inn. I had paid extra for a cancellable reservation, because I had hoped for a good deal on a rental at Playa Linda to come up.

The round trip on American Airlines will be a different story. I don't know if I should cancel now or wait until the likely extension of the travel restrictions to cover that period or not. Does it make a difference in how it handled by the airline? I am not really interested in getting a credit rather than a refund, especially if the credit has an expiration.

So this is two trips in successive months that I have had to cancel now. My December trip better damn well happen!

Pegmeister
04-02-2020, 10:56 PM
Best bet is to check the American Airlines website as the policies seem to keep changing. We’re booked on JetBlue for May 5th and they have not yet cancelled. I’m trying to wait it out.

ArubaAngela
04-03-2020, 12:10 PM
Jet blue didn’t cancel my May 3rd flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Aruba, but rerouted me JFK with an overnight then flight from jfk the next day!!!!! How ridiculous!!!! I haven’t called them yet as I’m hoping they will just cancel. Pegmeister, if they cancel will they give a refund. i prefer a refund to the travel bank, although I will definitely be rescheduling. Any thoughts?????

Pegmeister
04-03-2020, 12:36 PM
I believe if they cancel they have to issue a refund and not put it in the travel bank. If you cancel it goes in the travel bank. I purchased our flight on points but JetBlue doesn’t let you use points to purchase extra room. Since I’ve already booked Manchebo for November it’s not a big deal for us if the money goes in the travel bank as I haven’t booked the November flight. I’m waiting until Aruba decides whether or not they are reopening their borders before I cancel.

~Amy~®
04-03-2020, 01:50 PM
Jet blue didn’t cancel my May 3rd flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Aruba, but rerouted me JFK with an overnight then flight from jfk the next day!!!!! How ridiculous!!!! I haven’t called them yet as I’m hoping they will just cancel. Pegmeister, if they cancel will they give a refund. i prefer a refund to the travel bank, although I will definitely be rescheduling. Any thoughts?????

I don't know the particulars on JetBlue but with MOST airlines, if they change/reroute your flight, you have the ability to not accept the change with a full refund. I have done this in the past on other airlines when a direct fight became a connecting flight (this was to a different destination.)

kemperato
04-03-2020, 03:55 PM
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/coronavirus-travel-airlines-must-give-refunds-not-vouchers-when-flights-are-axed.html

Pegmeister
04-03-2020, 06:12 PM
Also, here’s a link too a Frommer’s article clarifying airline cancellation policies:

https://www.frommers.com/tips/health-and-travel-insurance/covid-19-policies-from-airlines-cruise-lines-hotels-and-other-travel-operators