PDA

View Full Version : MY COVID PCR Testing Experience for travel to AUA July 10

charterprincess
07-08-2020, 07:03 PM
Hello all! I thought I would share our experience & overall process as we make our way to Aruba on July 10th from Florida - aka one of the States AUA has determined to be a "Hot Zone" & is requiring a PCR test to be taken no more than 72 hrs prior to departure leg of live leg to AUA w/negative results being uploaded no less than 12 & no more than 72 hours prior to our departure time of live leg to AUA. Taking the test upon arrival is not an option for us. This is very detailed (part of my “real job” is analyze/assess risk/delays w/travel) & there is a lot to take into consideration right now since this is a very time sensitive matter for several of us. All time zones below are in ET unless noted. I have also gone through the ED process and working on typing that up – but wanted to send this to ya’ll to start digesting

charterprincess
07-08-2020, 07:05 PM
Not sure what happened - the rest of the post was cut off, perhaps too long?? :)

My “Situation”
We take off 11:21 am on July 10 (Fri), so we need to have test results uploaded by 11:21 pm on July 9th (Thurs).

July 7 (Tues) - we took 4 PCR tests, all from different testing sites. (Note: 1 person has major med & the other does not.) Detailed info on tests are below; 2 were home tests that got shipped back to labs via overnight & 2 were performed at clinics.

July 8 (Wed)– Both Home tests were received back at the labs this morning, Labcorp @ 8:43 am & “Let’s get checked” (aka “Let’s”) @ 9:32 am Note: These are the time stamps from UPS & Fedex. It just means they were delivered, the processing by Lab has not started.

It’s currently 5:30 pm ET, Labcorp is showing status of “being processed” and “Let’s” is showing received, it is not showing it is in “processing” stage, yet – I just talked to “Let’s” – they said that I should have results by tomorrow afternoon. (Note: Labcorp is in NC & “Let’s” is in CA)

Now it’s a waiting game!! I will keep ya’ll updated on results….

Tips:

Make sure when you order tests or make an appointment, use your name as it appears on passport to ensure test results match.

Since we don’t know how “strict” AUA is being in calculating the 72 hours, make sure you don’t schedule/take your test too early in the day that it’s more than 72 hours prior to departure. (ie your flight is at 4 pm and you take test 3 days prior at say 10 am.). For Home tests, you do have to put in the time & date online of when you took your sample before you send it back.

I’m not sure if you gain anything by taking a test early in the day if the sample is being shipped to a lab via fedex or ups bc they don’t pick up before 5-6 pm usually.

Pros & Cons:

Qualifying to be able to even take test via online survey - While “let’s get checked” Home Test has a survey, you don’t have to have symptoms or be high risk to order test kit; whereas you have to pre-qualify for CVS & Labcorp, in order to be able to make an appoint/order test.

The CVS test we took & Labcorp Home Test are EXACTLY the same test, same materials, same procedures. CVS was being processed by Labcorp. I just didn’t see where CVS sample was being shipped to/processed.

Labcorp Home kit is shipped back to lab via fed ex & “Let’” is shipped via UPS. Both are sent priority, to be received back by 10:30 am.

Both Home Kit Sites keep you updated on status via apps/online. “Let’s” says on their website, “your result will be processed within 24 hours of your sample being received in our laboratory.” UPS delivered our kit to “Let’s” at 9:48 am (ET), however it is not showing that they started processing it, yet. Probably bc their Lab is in CA. Fed ex shows labcorp received it at 8:43 am and they started processing it at 9:32 am. Their lab is in NC.

Lab Locations - “Let’s” lab is in California whereas Labcorp is in NC. This is important bc of time zone factor. Since CA is 3 hours behind East Coast, that’s 3 hours gained or lost, which is extremely important since most flights to AUA take off before noon (from East Coast.) It’s just something you have to keep in mind & could be a wild card factor not knowing when they stop testing/sending results for the day. Labcorp said they send results 24 hours a day”Let’s” rep said they did not know the hours they test, but if they need to reach a lab tech, they have to call between 9 am – 6m PT. But for example, if you have a flight from 8 am (ET), you need results uploaded by 8 pm ET the night before, which is 5 pm PT & using “Let’s” might not have results back to you in time. On the flip side, if you have a late afternoon flight, they might be better option.

Tests we took:
1) CVS drive thru - did not cost anything for either of us. (They did not ask for ID). You can make an appt 2 days prior. It used to say 3-5 days for test results, now it says 5-7 days. There is a location in New Port Richey, FL that has 30 min results, but it is very hard to get an appt.

2) Access 365 Urgent Care - they have a testing option for "travelers" - but it's not covered by insurance. $199 or if testing 2 or more people, price drops to $149/person. They say they only test residents of Martin & St Lucie County (which I am) - but they did not ask for id. - https://access365urgentcare.com/book-covid-19-test/

3) Home Test – Pixel by Labcorp. No out of pocket cost if you are uninsured, if you have insurance, they bill them. I ordered the test ~ 3 pm & it was delivered the next day~ 2 pm. No additional cost for shipping. https://www.pixel.labcorp.com/covid-19

4) Home Test – “Let’s get checked.” Insurance is not accepted; it is upfront cost of $119 per test. Delivery: 3-5 biz day is free or it’s $15 for 1-2 biz day. They will give you an itemized receipt to give to your insurance company to be reimbursed. Since no promo codes work, below is a referral link that will give you $30 off a kit (I also get $30). If you have to order multiple kits, I suggest to just order 1 using the referral link to reduce price to $89, then you will immediately get your own referral code so when you order kits for friends/family members, they receive $30 off & you get $30 credit.

Referral Link - https://www.letsgetchecked.com/register/?aic=7BDE211AB5
General website - https://www.letsgetchecked.com/us/en/home-coronavirus-test/

Types of Test:
All were the non-invasive nasal swab, with the exception of the Access 365 test, which was the more invasive nasal swab plus throat culture.

The non-evasive only had to have the qtip inserted into your nose until you couldn’t see the tip.

Tim nel
07-08-2020, 07:20 PM
We are rooting for you!!

Pegmeister
07-08-2020, 07:39 PM
Thanks for posting all your testing info! It will be helpful for all those planning on heading to Aruba. Hope they all come through for you!!!

charterprincess
07-08-2020, 10:13 PM
I also emailed about the insurance, here is my email & their response (I cut off the intro & apologize if fonts are different sizes, I’m on my phone and having difficulties reducing size of pasted text):

Anyhow - I know that you are requiring insurance, even if we have insurance. Currently, I am scheduled to fly back to the states July 14. (https://www.aruba.com/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://2) I fly back and forth a good bit to Aruba and was filling out my ED card online and was going to buy a 90 day policy to cover me for the next 90 days as I come & go but read in the FAQ section on insurance that the "coverage starts the moment you disembark in Aruba & expires at 11:59 pm AST (https://www.aruba.com/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://3) on the end date specified on the policy sched OR the moment you embark a plane to leave Aruba whichever occurs first." I just wanted to make sure that is accurate because that is going to get quite expensive paying for 4-7 days coverage every 2-4 weeks we travel to/from Aruba. Or can I buy a 90 day policy to cover me on all my flights back n forth to Aruba over the next 90 days??

It also states that you can use your own insurance after 90 days. By chance, if I show you my current policy, which is an annual policy, and does provide coverage/benefits if contracted covid while traveling in a foreign country, could we be exempt from purchasing every time we travel to Aruba. I can provide the documents proving it is still valid before we travel. It covers all my doctors, testing, lodging, food etc due to covid & with high limits. It even provides air ambulance via private jet back to the hospital of my choice in the states.

What happens if I buy a policy for say 10 days, then end up only staying 7 days, can I get credit for those 3 days??
And Visa Versa - what if I buy a policy for 10 days & end up staying longer??
Do you offer annual policies??

I know it's a lot to ask, but I was hoping something could be done or consideration made since this isn't the everyday "tourist" situation. I appreciate your time!
Sincerely,
-kris

THEIR RESPONSE (which I understand, but had to ask)

Dear Kris,

Thank you for contacting us. We truly appreciate loyal visitors and homeowners like you.

Due to the large volume of passengers, we had to use an automated system to insured our visitors. We don’t have enough staff members to handle exceptions.

In your case, you would have to pay for the days you stay. So every time you come back you have to register yourself and pay for the days you’ll be staying.

A refund for unused days is possible but it’s a tedious process of sending copy of your passport with an immigration stamp and copy of your return ticket.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We hope that this insurance won’t be necessary in the near future. Let’s hope that the new cases in the US will start decreasing very soon.

Regards,

Support Team

https://www.aruba.com/forum/blob:https://www.aruba.com/ea88b762-bdf6-43d2-ab42-d2ed0dca03b3

Jacki
07-09-2020, 07:31 AM
Thanks for sharing! Wishing you the best of luck in getting those results ASAP!

charterprincess
07-09-2020, 11:46 AM
GREAT NEWS!! Access 365 Urgentcare got our tests back! That was less than 48 hours. If you want to use them, please review my notes above on them. I dont want you to drive there & have an issue.... Now, i did make sure they knew i needed them back by 11 pm today & specified if their lab cant guarantee that, then dont send our samples off and Refund me our $$ ($149/each). I was working directly with Katie from the time i made my appt. I was just speaking with her & asked if i recommended them on this forum, could they keep doing this/getting results back in time. She said we might be one of the last ones that have been expedited, but they are still one of the places that is known for fastest results, but sometimes things have gotten screwed up which delayed the results. So if you go this route, maybe ask for her & double check their timing, explain your time requirements. We knew it was a gamble but were willing to take the risk.

I will keep you updated on the home tests & CVS.

Pegmeister
07-09-2020, 12:00 PM
Congrats!! Looks like you are on your way to Aruba!!

Lrhsfb41
07-12-2020, 02:01 PM
How long is the wait to get the PCR test at the airport in Aruba?

Andrea J.
07-12-2020, 03:11 PM
the wait is anywhere from 0 to 60 min.
the folks that I have corresponded with have told me about 45 min.

How long is the wait to get the PCR test at the airport in Aruba?

Kent-ArubaBob
07-12-2020, 07:08 PM
The Guy at the airport told me yesterday possibly 6 hours for the test results. Maybe they are getting behind.

Andrea J.
07-12-2020, 07:17 PM
I think that the goal was to have folks receive their results in less than 12 hrs, hopefully considerably less.
One of the ATA team told me at a Zoom last week, they would be thrilled if folks had their tests in time so that they could go out for dinner!
In numerous cases on Friday that was the case!!
I have not spoken to them since late Friday.

The Guy at the airport told me yesterday possibly 6 hours for the test results. Maybe they are getting behind.

jkolta
07-13-2020, 11:38 PM
I would love to hear the experience of people that had the covid test done at Aruba airport and what the 1 day quarantine experience was like

ArubaAce
07-14-2020, 08:47 PM
So if I am traveling to Aruba on a Saturday leaving NY at 7am, I have to get tested by Wednesday and upload results 12 hours before my departure flight?

Andrea J.
07-14-2020, 09:04 PM
Yup!!

so if i am traveling to aruba on a saturday leaving ny at 7am, i have to get tested by wednesday and upload results 12 hours before my departure flight?

coldsteel337
07-14-2020, 09:24 PM
Keep the reports coming. Nicely done.

cpjones
07-14-2020, 10:45 PM
Oops! Had to delete!

Cocoa
07-15-2020, 12:10 PM
I will include my experience:

1. Pixel - I did this in advance to ensure I was negative before I bothered with other places. Completed July 9th, no results yet (6 days later) - don't bother with this one. Slow, and Aruba does not accept home tests anyway.

2. Local health Dept in Atlanta Metro - Completed Monday. They are clearly backed up - previously had been 24 hours to results but I am at 48 hours now since my swab and no results. If I had relied on only this one (as I had planned) I would be in trouble with only 12 hours left until my ED card is due.

3. Private urgent care - they offer expedited PCR tests for an extra fee of $175. They used a private FDA approved lab and completed NAAT PCR testing with a 24 hour turnaround. They were true to their word. No waiting (made an appt time and showed up at that time) and results texted/emailed in 24 hours. They were great.

I submitted ED Card yesterday with my PCR negative results. I got an automatic "QUALIFIED" ED card with QR code (note: I had to print the QR code from the website, the one they emailed me was cut off and had no QR code).

This morning I got ANOTHER email from Aruba saying they had checked my PCR tests and it had passed and I would be allowed to board/skip testing on arrival. So important note, that INITIAL card you get is "automatic" and they still have to review the PCR test manually.

NOTE TO ANDREA: I know we had been PMing about this, but this forum only allows me 4 PMs in 24 hours so I could not continue to respond. With my QR code from the website printed and now the confirmation email from Aruba I think I will be good. Thanks for your help!!

Andrea J.
07-15-2020, 02:14 PM
good luck and safe travels cocoa.
I think that the 4 pms per day were because you had not yet been activated as a forum member.
you are activated now!!

enjoy and please if you can post of your health screening experience we'd appreciate it!

LisaGrn
07-15-2020, 09:30 PM
Safe travels and have a wonderful time! And welcome to the forum, Cocoa!!

brady bear
07-15-2020, 10:25 PM
Safe travels.. pop in and let us know how everything is going

sundialSoft
07-16-2020, 04:56 AM
We cannot get tested before departure so have added two days to our holiday. KLM did not charge to rebook the return flights. Here’s hoping for quick test results. We fly late August. Staying at the Bucuti & Tara.

WaltVB
07-16-2020, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the forum! Hope your trip goes well.

hnp1889
07-16-2020, 06:40 PM
Hi,
My husband and I are traveling to Aruba over labor day weekend for a late honeymoon, I understand things can change between now and then. But struggling to find testing in Nevada that is that fast. I currently am waiting results (on day 10 now!) and the lab says they cannot give any date or time as to when it will be finished running. I am a medical provider and seems all labs are taking about 5-14 days at least currently... assuming our best bet would be tested at the airport when we arrive. We would be very grateful for any updates or tips!

Cant wait to visit!

Pegmeister
07-16-2020, 06:55 PM
Welcome to the forum. The testing requirements are difficult for so many. I hope you are able to find a lab that can come through for you. Unfortunately, Nevada is one of the states on the list that cannot utilize the test in Aruba option. I wasn’t sure if you were aware of this.

hnp1889
07-16-2020, 07:10 PM
Welcome to the forum. The testing requirements are difficult for so many. I hope you are able to find a lab that can come through for you. Unfortunately, Nevada is one of the states on the list that cannot utilize the test in Aruba option. I wasn’t sure if you were aware of this.

I was not aware of that! Thank you! I will have to keep looking. I have heard first responders are supposed to come back faster- however could not use that option for my husband's test.

Andrea J.
07-16-2020, 07:21 PM
welcome Sundial and Hnp.
some thoughts on testing sites...get a script from physician with a test order, contract local board of health, do a google search and make lots of calls.

I was speaking with a person who is in now in Aruba and came in from one of the Hot States.
She and her husband begged the receptionist in the lab in their hometown.
She "squeezed them in" for a test.
I certainly do not promote begging this BUT ya know, if I were in that situation and who knows, I may be in that situation in November.........I would certainly not be too proud to beg.
As Peg says........Nevada is one of the hot states. All Aruba tourists who reside in a "hot state" MUST test no more than 72 hours prior to departure AND submit those test results within 12 hours of travel.

It is a very difficult and frustrating process.

Please let us know how both of you make out!

hnp1889
07-16-2020, 07:33 PM
welcome Sundial and Hnp.
some thoughts on testing sites...get a script from physician with a test order, contract local board of health, do a google search and make lots of calls.

I was speaking with a person who is in now in Aruba and came in from one of the Hot States.
She and her husband begged the receptionist in the lab in their hometown.
She "squeezed them in" for a test.
I certainly do not promote begging this BUT ya know, if I were in that situation and who knows, I may be in that situation in November.........I would certainly not be too proud to beg.
As Peg says........Nevada is one of the hot states. All Aruba tourists who reside in a "hot state" MUST test no more than 72 hours prior to departure AND submit those test results within 12 hours of travel.

It is a very difficult and frustrating process.

Please let us know how both of you make out!

Thanks for the advice! I am a provider so I can get tested at any time no problem. It is just a matter of the labs here they are running on 7+ average right now, hopefully that picks up within the next 2 months, but I have been on the phone with labs waiting to get results only to be told there is nothing they can do to speed up the process. I will provide any updates I find in case others are traveling from here!

jkolta
07-16-2020, 10:14 PM
Can someone tell me what are the hot states?

Brian B
07-16-2020, 10:16 PM
I think I know the answer to this but here goes-do we know for sure that boarding will be denied in Miami if you have not received your test results yet. I'm not seeing anyone lamenting about not being about to go. We are flying from California, a hot state, and am hearing from the testing places here that it is highly unlikely that we can get results back in the 60 hour window (i.e. 72 hours less 12 hour upload deadline). We are scheduling three tests on August 5 for our flight that leaves Miami the morning of August 8, hoping for the best. Just wondering if the Aruba published policy is hard and fast and being enforced. We can't be the only ones with this issue of the timing of getting test results from a hot state.

Pegmeister
07-16-2020, 10:17 PM
jkolta; Here’s the link. https://www.aruba.com/us/traveler-health-requirements

Andrea J.
07-16-2020, 10:33 PM
welcome to the aruba.com community forum!
yes the policy is enforced and there have been no exceptions to the rule.
sorry :(

I live in Florida, have a trip coming to Aruba coming in a few months and am worried about that 60 hour window.

you are wise scheduling 3 tests.
my fingers are crossed for you and very very quick negative results.

I think I know the answer to this but here goes-do we know for sure that boarding will be denied in Miami if you have not received your test results yet. I'm not seeing anyone lamenting about not being about to go. We are flying from California, a hot state, and am hearing from the testing places here that it is highly unlikely that we can get results back in the 60 hour window (i.e. 72 hours less 12 hour upload deadline). We are scheduling three tests on August 5 for our flight that leaves Miami the morning of August 8, hoping for the best. Just wondering if the Aruba published policy is hard and fast and being enforced. We can't be the only ones with this issue of the timing of getting test results from a hot state.

brady bear
07-17-2020, 05:30 AM
As Andrea stated living in those "hot states" may be difficult
My lab girl spoke to her boss.. since I am always nice and she likes me :D:rolleyes: they really don't know the "real" me.
she offered to do our test on a Saturday with results back in hours ... (Andrea I can ask if she can do your's they are out of clearwater too_)
Refuses any funds either!!! Just her way of thanking me for helping her staff out. Do believe in krama
I will still try to get another one. People are mentioning First choice urgent care. Tell them you have been
around someone with covid, or have symptoms such as sore throat, cough, low grade temp, and you
need to have this for work or take care of your elderly parents.

Andrea J.
07-17-2020, 09:45 AM
sounds like a PLAN!
we are in clearwater at least 1x a week.

As Andrea stated living in those "hot states" may be difficult
My lab girl spoke to her boss.. since I am always nice and she likes me :D:rolleyes: they really don't know the "real" me.
she offered to do our test on a Saturday with results back in hours ... (Andrea I can ask if she can do your's they are out of clearwater too_)
Refuses any funds either!!! Just her way of thanking me for helping her staff out. Do believe in krama
I will still try to get another one. People are mentioning First choice urgent care. Tell them you have been
around someone with covid, or have symptoms such as sore throat, cough, low grade temp, and you
need to have this for work or take care of your elderly parents.

Brian B
07-21-2020, 11:34 PM
I have a question on the timing of Aruba approval of uploaded results from hot states. My connecting flight to Aruba is at 11:21am from Miami on August 8. Thus, my 12 hour window will close at 11:21pm Miami time on Friday, August 7. Given the slow turnaround on test results, I am expecting we will be cutting it tight. If we do upload the results by 11:21pm Miami time, when will we get approval from Aruba? My concern is whether Aruba people are working late to approve these ED cards. I would hate to fly from California to Miami only to find out approval had not come in yet and have to turn around and fly home. Or alternatively, be refused check in in San Francisco if we did not have the ED approval before our flight leaves.

Andrea J.
07-22-2020, 06:21 PM

I have a question on the timing of Aruba approval of uploaded results from hot states. My connecting flight to Aruba is at 11:21am from Miami on August 8. Thus, my 12 hour window will close at 11:21pm Miami time on Friday, August 7. Given the slow turnaround on test results, I am expecting we will be cutting it tight. If we do upload the results by 11:21pm Miami time, when will we get approval from Aruba? My concern is whether Aruba people are working late to approve these ED cards. I would hate to fly from California to Miami only to find out approval had not come in yet and have to turn around and fly home. Or alternatively, be refused check in in San Francisco if we did not have the ED approval before our flight leaves.