PDA

View Full Version : Canadians heading to Aruba-Covid Test

LK1
07-12-2020, 09:30 PM
I would like to know from any canucks heading to Aruba where they would go to get a Covid test and result in the 72 hour window. We are going in November. Trying to get a feel for what to expect. I’ve inquired with our London Middlesex health unit and they said it could be up to 5 days. This was about a month ago. Hoping by the time November comes around things will be different.
Rick

Glenn
07-12-2020, 10:56 PM
Hi Rick,

We live in Winnipeg and going to Aruba involves an o/night in Toronto each way. We were booked to go to Aruba in October, Thanksgiving weekend.

I don't think we can get a COVID-19 test and get the results back in time, within the 72-hour time limit, prior to our departure to Toronto. We didn't want to take the test upon arrival in Aruba, and have to wait for results and possible quarantine, so we just cancelled and we'll hope for next year.

Our best hope is for a vaccine and documentation to prove that we have taken it. By next year, hopefully.

Glenn
Winnipeg, Canada

I would like to know from any canucks heading to Aruba where they would go to get a Covid test and result in the 72 hour window. We are going in November. Trying to get a feel for what to expect. I’ve inquired with our London Middlesex health unit and they said it could be up to 5 days. This was about a month ago. Hoping by the time November comes around things will be different.
Rick

CanadaGal
07-13-2020, 11:39 AM
Rick

Hello,

My sister had a Covid test done at Emergency on a Friday (at Cambridge Memorial) and the test results were available, on-line, within the 72 hours. (She did not have Covid symptoms, but they did test as a precautionary measure. She had bad neck pain and was released in 2 hours.) Not sure if the test came back so quickly because it was done in Emerg?

We are heading to Aruba in January and thinking (if OHIP will cover) to go to a few locations and get testing done and hope that 1 of the test results comes back in time.

However, great news. Rapid PCR testing will soon be available but not sure if we will have access. I may phone this company directly to see where the testing is available in our area (Toronto).
Health Canada approves rapid COVID-19 test developed by Guelph company
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/health-canada-approves-rapid-covid-19-test-developed-by-guelph-company-1.5019377

Here is the link to current testing locations in Ontario. Hope this helps.
https://covid-19.ontario.ca/assessment-centre-locations/

gortvaan
07-14-2020, 10:57 AM
The time you get your result depends on volume of tests, so it will be fluctuating. Had a test last Monday (thanks god it was negative), the result came in 27H - they advised it would be 2-4 days. Take the test - its free- it you don't get results on time, you can always do it at the airport.

robin
07-14-2020, 11:57 AM
Hello,

My sister had a Covid test done at Emergency on a Friday (at Cambridge Memorial) and the test results were available, on-line, within the 72 hours. (She did not have Covid symptoms, but they did test as a precautionary measure. She had bad neck pain and was released in 2 hours.) Not sure if the test came back so quickly because it was done in Emerg?

We are heading to Aruba in January and thinking (if OHIP will cover) to go to a few locations and get testing done and hope that 1 of the test results comes back in time.

However, great news. Rapid PCR testing will soon be available but not sure if we will have access. I may phone this company directly to see where the testing is available in our area (Toronto).
Health Canada approves rapid COVID-19 test developed by Guelph company
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/health-canada-approves-rapid-covid-19-test-developed-by-guelph-company-1.5019377

Here is the link to current testing locations in Ontario. Hope this helps.
https://covid-19.ontario.ca/assessment-centre-locations/

Are you in the Kitchener/Waterloo area? We go up there to visit my husband's sister.

LK1
07-14-2020, 03:13 PM
The time you get your result depends on volume of tests, so it will be fluctuating. Had a test last Monday (thanks god it was negative), the result came in 27H - they advised it would be 2-4 days. Take the test - its free- it you don't get results on time, you can always do it at the airport.
What part of the country you from gortvaan? Im in London Ontario.

LK1
07-14-2020, 03:17 PM
I noticed Air Canada is now pending. I guess the first flight was July 18. They now join sunwing. We fly WestJet in November. I wonder if the cancelled flights have anything to do with the border being closed for another 30 days.

CanadaGal
07-15-2020, 10:53 AM
Hello, we live in Rockwood. My sister lives in Cambridge. If I get any info on the rapid testing, I will post. Have a great day! CanadaGal

QUOTE=robin;362246]Are you in the Kitchener/Waterloo area? We go up there to visit my husband's sister.[/QUOTE]

gortvaan
07-16-2020, 06:21 PM
Hi everybody,

We live in King City (just north of Toronto, York Region). Yeh, AC now cancelled two of our flights, we are now on Aug. 1 (the first newly scheduled flight) but I am no longer optimistic. I believe the issue is that they do not have enough passengers. WJ and Sunwing are no longer selling August.

CanadaGal
07-18-2020, 11:26 AM
I think one of the biggest issues/deterrents for Canadians travelling to Aruba is the 14 quarantine period required upon arrival home. We would seriously consider flying to Aruba this summer if it were not for the quarantine. Hopefully, Air Canada will have enough passengers to fly to Aruba in August.

Hi everybody,

We live in King City (just north of Toronto, York Region). Yeh, AC now cancelled two of our flights, we are now on Aug. 1 (the first newly scheduled flight) but I am no longer optimistic. I believe the issue is that they do not have enough passengers. WJ and Sunwing are no longer selling August.

LK1
07-18-2020, 12:13 PM
My wife and I are leaning towards cancelling for the second time. In March it was made for us and for November it is our choice right now unless the decision is made for us. Just to many variables to consider between testing and quarantining when we get home. It feels like 2020 is a right off.

Pegmeister
07-18-2020, 01:24 PM
My wife and I are leaning towards cancelling for the second time. In March it was made for us and for November it is our choice right now unless the decision is made for us. Just to many variables to consider between testing and quarantining when we get home. It feels like 2020 is a right off.

Sorry to hear that you are leaning towards canceling. Like you, our May trip was decided for us and we chose to cancel our November trip. I’m glad we cancelled as we’re not stressing about it now. I would love to be there but we’ll plan for next year.

Andrea J.
07-18-2020, 01:36 PM
I think that I would rather be in the position where it is cancelled for us.............we have a nov 26 trip planned. we have already paid $$ for our unit at lacabana for the 2 weeks. we owe $1000. the man we are renting from will not let us know about any kind of a refund if aruba decides to
1) shut down again
2) keep Floridians out

so we are still sitting on the fence.
I hate owing this guy $$, but I hate not knowing what he will do with our money if 1 or 2 happen.

LK1
07-25-2020, 08:34 PM
So the understanding is Air Canada is scheduled to fly to Aruba August 1 and WestJet on the 8th. Is there any fellow Canucks booked on those flights or is it cancelled.

Andrea J.
07-25-2020, 11:04 PM
are ANY Canadian airlines flying into aruba at this point?

So the understanding is Air Canada is scheduled to fly to Aruba August 1 and WestJet on the 8th. Is there any fellow Canucks booked on those flights or is it cancelled.

LK1
07-26-2020, 08:10 AM
are ANY Canadian airlines flying into aruba at this point?
Air Canada had a flight scheduled July 18th. Didn’t happen. The other two airlines WestJet is set for August 8 and sunwing is pending.

gortvaan
07-27-2020, 07:26 PM
As of this afternoon the August 1 AC flight has not been cancelled, hopefully will stay this way. We are on this flight, there are 59 seat occupies as of this time. WestJet is not going on August 8, they stopped selling August at least 3 weeks ago, they are now selling tickets for September. Aruban airport site is not up to date.

LK1
07-28-2020, 03:46 PM
As of this afternoon the August 1 AC flight has not been cancelled, hopefully will stay this way. We are on this flight, there are 59 seat occupies as of this time. WestJet is not going on August 8, they stopped selling August at least 3 weeks ago, they are now selling tickets for September. Aruban airport site is not up to date.
I hope you get to go. But if they only have 59 seats occupied you have to wonder..When will they let you know if it’s not happening?

gortvaan
07-28-2020, 08:14 PM
With only 3 days to go, I really hope they will not cancel this time. The previous 2 times they cancelled 10-15 day before the flight. Already registered with Aruba ED Card, we are going to take the test tomorrow.

CanadaGal
07-28-2020, 08:20 PM
I really hope the flight stays on schedule for you. May I ask where you are getting your PCR test done with such a quick turnaround? We live in the Milton area. Hoping we can get tested here rather than Aruba. Thank you!

With only 3 days to go, I really hope they will not cancel this time. The previous 2 times they cancelled 10-15 day before the flight. Already registered with Aruba ED Card, we are going to take the test tomorrow.

gortvaan
07-29-2020, 12:22 PM
Just came back from the test. We did the testing at Mackenzie Health (Hospital). The results are going to available electronically. I have done it in the past, and talked to others that have done it recently: the test results were ready in about 24 hours, but this applies only to current situation, they are not busy. It may change if we have significant increase in spread of the virus and a lots of testing needs to be done.

CanadaGal
07-29-2020, 01:02 PM
Thank you very much for the info! Hopefully, when we go (in January) it won't be too busy at this clinic. Have a great trip in our beloved Aruba!

Just came back from the test. We did the testing at Mackenzie Health (Hospital). The results are going to available electronically. I have done it in the past, and talked to others that have done it recently: the test results were ready in about 24 hours, but this applies only to current situation, they are not busy. It may change if we have significant increase in spread of the virus and a lots of testing needs to be done.

gortvaan
07-30-2020, 10:53 PM
Thank you GanadaGal.
We are all set and ready to go. The test came back in 16 hours, we go email at 3 a.m. There was a glitch with the ED card system but it got sorted our, test uploaded and the card is ready.

LisaGrn
07-30-2020, 11:15 PM
Have a great trip!

Andrea J.
07-31-2020, 12:06 AM
safe and easy travels.

post a word or 20 in My Aruba Story and tell us of your experience at the airport at arrival.

ENJOY and thanks.

CanadaGal
07-31-2020, 09:25 AM
Amazing! So happy for you!! Again, thank you for sharing the testing information. Enjoy your vacation!!!!!

Thank you GanadaGal.
We are all set and ready to go. The test came back in 16 hours, we go email at 3 a.m. There was a glitch with the ED card system but it got sorted our, test uploaded and the card is ready.