PDA

View Full Version : August 6

Andrea J.
08-06-2020, 02:48 PM
https://24ora.com/aruba-den-un-widespread-coronavirus-testing-tin-89-caso-nobo-awe/

145 Active cases as of today

coldsteel337
08-06-2020, 02:57 PM
Yikes! My buddy and 3 others are making their first trip ever to Aruba on Saturday.

stoney4555
08-06-2020, 02:59 PM
Such sad news. This is getting bad really fast. Cases are going to go up for at least the next 10-12 days. I thought they had a good plan in place but I guess it just wasn’t enough. I wonder if closing the border again is the way they’re heading.

cmynes
08-06-2020, 03:01 PM
https://24ora.com/aruba-den-un-widespread-coronavirus-testing-tin-89-caso-nobo-awe/

OMG. Thanks for telling me. I’ve been a wreck trying to read as much data as possible. Do you think they will close the borders again? As of Monday my husband and I were still going (Our 24th year) since we really need a vacation for so many reasons. But seeing alll this news and we are in our 60’s. We have been watching the data cautiously for departure September 12th. I think maybe the Arubans were not testing enough before they opened the borders with all the locals now testing positive. This is so sad for Aruba and for those Of us who were planning to go soon. Thanks again for always keeping us informed. One day at a time.

brady bear
08-06-2020, 03:23 PM
Again if everyone follows the proper guideline!!
So sad. :(

ArubaAce
08-06-2020, 03:40 PM
I think with the recent new guidelines in Aruba to close bars they can perhaps quickly get it under control. NYC had the worst Covid outbreak and now we have it under control. However, the GOV quarantine us for 3 months, they reopened up slowly in stages while keeping track of new cases, hospitalization etc. Bars are still not opened and no indoor dinning only outdoors. Mask are a requirement for Supermarkets and any area where you are in close proximity to people. Although some people have broken the rules here, not wearing mask, parties with large gatherings, the virus is being contained and our number of hospitalization keep dropping.

sundialSoft
08-06-2020, 03:51 PM
Having done my best to translate the announcement in the link all I could take from it is that the people with Covid are not seriously ill.
The next few days will be difficult and interesting.

I'm almost hoping for the border to be closed to save me making a decision.

robin
08-06-2020, 04:56 PM
I saw this link on FB from the CDC.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-aruba?fbclid=IwAR3DI36bDGaKdK7QSRDCpvLRHj6zcrGCC91 ZWz6VqiKh3rXFs8oqE6MPojg

Traceyd14
08-06-2020, 04:57 PM
I'm almost hoping for the border to be closed to save me making a decision.

I had the same thought.

Its good that people are not too ill, but the scariest thing is the low number of ICU beds should people spread the illness to people who would have a more difficult time.

LK1
Well. We made the decision to cancel our November trip. Just to many uncertainties. With the news today just made it easier. It was tough touching the delete button.

robin
I think it said 92 new cases, but I'm not sure.

Andrea J.
08-06-2020, 05:23 PM
here is the updated chart

I think it said 92 new cases, but I'm not sure.

Aruba4ever
08-06-2020, 07:28 PM
So scary!!!! My heart is breaking for all of my friends who depend on tourists to make a living.

Mohair
08-06-2020, 07:43 PM
It is bad news, but let's hope they can contain the spread! :confused: It is still only .13% of the population.

robin
08-06-2020, 08:55 PM
It is bad news, but let's hope they can contain the spread! :confused: It is still only .13% of the population.

One person can spread to many. Remember this all started with one infected person in China.

Andrea J.
08-06-2020, 09:44 PM
EXACTLY!! it is like procreating rabbits. First you have 1 then 1000.
I certainly hope and pray they contain it.

One person can spread to many. Remember this all started with one infected person in China.

B Likes To Travel
08-06-2020, 10:55 PM
Such a nightmare. It just never ends.

Mohair
08-07-2020, 02:56 AM
Let's hope that they don't close the beaches. That put an end to our trip in March/April.

Brenda
08-07-2020, 06:10 AM
I am so worried about this.
There may be a negative travel advice soon, and no income for many Aruban for some time.
The number of infections is so high for such a small island, please let it stop and not go in the hundreds and hundreds.
Extremely worried for the Arubans, at this point.

brady bear
08-07-2020, 09:52 AM
This is so disappointing.
One can be asymptomatic and give it full blown to someone else with health conditions.

robin
08-07-2020, 10:11 AM
The one question I have is if everyone coming back is tested, how did this happen? Did someone have a false negative or did a person who was waiting results break quarantine?

WaltVB
08-07-2020, 10:49 AM
The one question I have is if everyone coming back is tested, how did this happen? Did someone have a false negative or did a person who was waiting results break quarantine?

Apparently the problem could be the accuracy of the test and when it's administered. According to Johns Hopkins:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/06/200610094112.htm#:~:text=The%20researchers%20estim ated%20that%20those,%2Dnegative%20rate%20was%2038% 25.

So you go through the airport all happy with your negative test results and infect everyone you come in contact with.

B Likes To Travel
08-07-2020, 12:21 PM
I’m no data analyst but the fact that kids under 14 don’t have to be tested could have something to do with it too. Could be asymptotic carriers. It’s one of the things that made me weary despite all the efforts put in place.

ArubaAce
08-07-2020, 01:42 PM
I’m no data analyst but the fact that kids under 14 don’t have to be tested could have something to do with it too. Could be asymptotic carriers. It’s one of the things that made me weary despite all the efforts put in place. Excellent point Bri. I heard in the news yesterday that children can easily transmit the virus to adults.

EDMLS1358
08-07-2020, 01:56 PM
I think with the recent new guidelines in Aruba to close bars they can perhaps quickly get it under control. NYC had the worst Covid outbreak and now we have it under control. However, the GOV quarantine us for 3 months, they reopened up slowly in stages while keeping track of new cases, hospitalization etc. Bars are still not opened and no indoor dinning only outdoors. Mask are a requirement for Supermarkets and any area where you are in close proximity to people. Although some people have broken the rules here, not wearing mask, parties with large gatherings, the virus is being contained and our number of hospitalization keep dropping.
I agree NY id it the right way. Maybe the numbers are going up among the Aruban population because some left the island to travel to the US and brought it back with them. Miami is a popular destination for the Aruban people. High numbers among locals but not tourists, thats the good news.

Aruba4ever
08-07-2020, 02:08 PM
The principal's kid in the school I teach at is on quarantine now because a camp-mate tested positive. The individual who has it is 11 and would not have had to test in Aruba.

I’m no data analyst but the fact that kids under 14 don’t have to be tested could have something to do with it too. Could be asymptotic carriers. It’s one of the things that made me weary despite all the efforts put in place.

Aruba4ever
08-07-2020, 02:12 PM
I just read that study and WOW are their findings scary.

Apparently the problem could be the accuracy of the test and when it's administered. According to Johns Hopkins:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/06/200610094112.htm#:~:text=The%20researchers%20estim ated%20that%20those,%2Dnegative%20rate%20was%2038% 25.

So you go through the airport all happy with your negative test results and infect everyone you come in contact with.

Kent-ArubaBob
08-07-2020, 04:32 PM
Well you would never know it if you were on Aruba. You just see alot of mask but I know for a fact that the States are far worse than here. They were running a pretty tight ship here but when a few tourist did not go and quarantine until their results come back, thats what happens. And I am sure they will keep rising for a period of time because we have seen it in the US. Since I have been here, they were doing temp checks at the grocery stores and making you disinfect your hands. I really can't see them shutting the boarders because they really need the tourist here. The last hit was really bad. Its like the US. They had alot of cases but they say no more shut downs. So we will all have to do the best we can and I think we will have to all just learn how to live with the virus until they figure it out.

hatteras
08-07-2020, 04:42 PM
I just saw a post from Nathaly, who runs Taste My Aruba. She took her staff to get tested and she is now positive. She is very hands on at her restaurant, out front mingling with the guests and posing for pictures. Who knows how many tourists were exposed while they were dining there, and I suppose that some of them might not find out about this, and will get on planes to come home while possibly being contagious. I admire her for being honest and posting her results. Hopefully, that will help some of the people.

hatteras
08-07-2020, 04:46 PM

Robin, there was someone staying at one of the resorts about 2 weeks ago who was positive and broke quarantine. There's also been a lot of talk about a Dutch bartender who was positive and didn't quarantine. And then there's all of the uproar about all of the partying that's been going on, especially at Moomba.

WaltVB
08-07-2020, 05:05 PM
I just read that study and WOW are their findings scary.

That was my thoughts too Jay.

robin
08-07-2020, 07:21 PM
The principal's kid in the school I teach at is on quarantine now because a camp-mate tested positive. The individual who has it is 11 and would not have had to test in Aruba.

Scary.

Aruba4ever
08-07-2020, 08:07 PM
Yes it is. There are many of us that are beyond nervous about the fall which starts in just a couple of weeks. I am at loss what to do...I really, really, really don't feel comfortable teaching in person at this point.

Scary.

Andrea J.
08-07-2020, 08:49 PM
Since we are now on Aug 7, I am closing this particular thread.