PDA

View Full Version : Covid cases

vb007
08-10-2020, 04:40 PM
Hi all,

I am new to this forum but have been visiting Aruba for a number of years now. We are due to arrive into beautiful Aruba this weekend and we feel like we have a decision to make given the unfortunate recent rise in cases and the fact that quite a few of the restaurants we like to go to are still closed.

Is there any talk on the island of shutting the Aruban borders? Or does anyone know what the next steps of a lockdown or protocols might look like and when that might come into force, does anyone know?

Thanks ever so much for your help everyone,
Vicki

Kent-ArubaBob
08-10-2020, 05:00 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

Well I have been here for 5 weeks now and there are places closed but believe me, its worth coming because you have the place to yourself. There are plenty of place open and who knows, you might just find some new places to eat. Nobody knows about the Airport closing but what I think is: The US will probably not do another lock down and I don't think Aruba will either. They need the tourist. And today is alittle over 500 cases here but just remember, thats alot less than in the US per person. So its still really safe and if they would close the airport, you know it would be the in bound planes and then they would have to keep getting people home until all the tourist are gone. I think alot of people think they might get stuck here but NOBODY will be that lucky!!!! If you ask me, I would say GO FOR IT!! As long as you can get your testing done before, it should be a piece of cake. Good luck. AB

cmynes
08-10-2020, 05:11 PM
Hi all,

I am new to this forum but have been visiting Aruba for a number of years now. We are due to arrive into beautiful Aruba this weekend and we feel like we have a decision to make given the unfortunate recent rise in cases and the fact that quite a few of the restaurants we like to go to are still closed.

Is there any talk on the island of shutting the Aruban borders? Or does anyone know what the next steps of a lockdown or protocols might look like and when that might come into force, does anyone know?

Vicki

it it a matter of comfort level. Everyone is individual; I wouldn’t risk it this weekend. It’s one thing if you are there already. They will get you home. I too go for my favorite restaurants and some opened and closed again. I was supposed to go on rescheduled April trip on September 12th. For me it’s too risky. The numbers have been going up daily and sooner or later some will need hospital beds and they are not equipped for more than 31 or 32 ICU beds. Again, you are the one who needs to weight the risks and benefits. Good luck.

charterprincess
08-10-2020, 05:20 PM
I agree with Aruba Bob all the way! I have been in Aruba since July 10th. Some restaurants did close last week to deep clean & plan to reopen this & next week. There are still a bunch open & plenty to do...We have had 3 sets of guests at our villa (last set checked out aug 8)and they all said it was the best vacation, that they are so happy they came to experience Aruba this way because they know it will not be like this again. i agree with them - hence why i have not gone back to the states, yet. I’m taking total advantage of the island right now.

i don’t think AUA will close it’s borders. They can’t afford to, it would financially devastate them. They don’t have bailout $ like USA does. Every night they have a press conference on the entire situation & it’s televised down here. In regards to covid #s, i feel like it’s the same situation here as it unfolded in the states - meaning for a while, no one tested, then all of a sudden lots of people were testing and numbers spiked rapidly. They are being safe and doing all they canto protect locals & tourists but they know there is no way to avoid it from coming into the island. I’m impressed they kept it out as long as they did. I also say GO FOR IT!

Andrea J.
08-10-2020, 05:26 PM
welcome to the aruba.com community forum.

there is NO talk of border closing.
I do not believe that they will shut borders again unless the positives significantly rise and people behave recklessly.

How about reading DION vacation in My Aruba Story. Jacki and about 8 family members are there now and having a blast.
I believe that if you read her posts, it might ease your mind.

But, and the big but...............you gotta do what is best for you.
If you are the uncomfortable, skip it and go another time.

My husband and I are still moving forward with our Nov trip, we expect Aruba to be open.

Hi all,

Vicki

LisaGrn
08-10-2020, 05:45 PM
Welcome to the Forum, Vicki! Wish I could help you with your decision but it's such a personal one. I decided several weeks ago to cancel my September trip. Very, very long and difficult decision to make. Everyone is right, you can only do what you feel is right and comfortable for you. Good luck!

Jacki
08-10-2020, 05:47 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

You need to be comfortable of course. If you are coming here just for that favorite restaurant, don't bother. It very well may be closed, especially if it is indoor with no outdoor dining. If you are coming for the amazing people and the water and the beautiful clean beaches, you will NOT be disappointed!

Brenda
08-10-2020, 07:54 PM
I am from the Netherlands, and TUI is, repatriating all Dutch tourists from the island by tomorrow, followed by a 14 day quarantaine.

I think Aruba has no choice other than to go into lockdown again, in some shape or form.

I miss the Island and the people that are dear to me, but at this point I wold not travel there even if I could, the more travel movement and people on the island the more risk of spreading of the virus.

Hope things will slow down, and everything back to normal in 2 months.

ArubaAce
08-10-2020, 08:07 PM
Strange but nothing reported today for Aruba. Usually by the afternoon there are stats.

cmynes
08-10-2020, 08:18 PM
Strange but nothing reported today for Aruba. Usually by the afternoon there are stats.

Visit Aruba News reported 67 more new cases (513 active - 497 residents and 16 visitors)

ArubaAce
08-10-2020, 09:07 PM
Visit Aruba News reported 67 more new cases (513 active - 497 residents and 16 visitors) Thanks

vb007
08-11-2020, 04:54 AM
Thanks very much all, really very helpful. I have a feeling that this decision might be taken out of our hands given that we are flying in from the Netherlands. Brenda says that TUI are repatriating all Dutch tourists from the island, so it might be that our KLM flight is cancelled. Such a shame.

Brenda
08-11-2020, 06:52 AM
Thanks very much all, really very helpful. I have a feeling that this decision might be taken out of our hands given that we are flying in from the Netherlands. Brenda says that TUI are repatriating all Dutch tourists from the island, so it might be that our KLM flight is cancelled. Such a shame.

ORANJESTAD - TUI Netherlands is retrieving 526 travelers from Aruba after tightening the travel advice to code orange. The travel company says that the majority of these are travelers who have not booked a package holiday, but only a plane ticket.

"We will inform them as soon as possible about the adjusted travel advice and that we will bring them back to the Netherlands," said TUI in a response to the tightened travel advice. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs scaled up the travel advice on Saturday from code yellow to code orange. Unnecessary trips to Aruba are not recommended due to the rapidly increasing number of Covid-19 infections on the island.

Those who return to the Netherlands from Aruba are urged to go into home quarantine for a fortnight.

TUI says the first travelers will return on a regularly scheduled flight on Sunday. It leaves Aruba on Sunday and lands at Schiphol on Monday morning around 10.30 am. Tourists also return to the Netherlands on a regular flight on Tuesdays. TUI is also deploying an extra repatriation flight on Wednesday.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1839557412/tui-haalt-vakantiegangers-aruba-terug-na-aanscherping-reisadvies

WaltVB
08-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the forum vb007/Vicki, hopefully you will be able to go to Aruba. If you get to go, please post your experience in My Aruba Story.