PDA

View Full Version : Aug 15

Andrea J.
08-15-2020, 05:15 PM
Today from the DVG page on FB

Kent-ArubaBob
08-15-2020, 05:37 PM
So 45 new cases from yesterday. I guess thats alot better than 80 or 90!!!

Aruba4ever
08-15-2020, 05:54 PM
I could be in error but I thought I did the math and it was 75 new cases- Ive been wrong a zillion times before.

cmynes
08-15-2020, 06:03 PM
I could be in error but I thought I did the math and it was 75 new cases- Ive been wrong a zillion times before.

yes visitaruba.com indicates 75 more new cases so you are right. They are considering those who recovered on some sites. But I am going by the spread each day. So yes 75 new reported today isn’t great.

Jacki
08-15-2020, 06:38 PM
More tests, more positives. Wash your hands, socially distance. Do your part. All good.

Brenda
08-15-2020, 07:27 PM
More tests, more positives. Wash your hands, socially distance. Do your part. All good.

Less tests are being done, yesterday 443 day before yesterday 325.
A week ago it was over 900 tests per day.

It was mentioned they are running out of tests, people do not get retested after a week before getting out of isolation and complain about that.

Brenda
08-15-2020, 07:40 PM
I want to bring something up if that is OK.

I went to this board in hopes to be able to share my concern with other people who are concerned about the alarming Covid numbers in Aruba.

Percentages of testing positive between 16 an 22% is not seen anywhere in the world.

I get the feeling people here are relatively positive about the situation, and I do not understand that.

The real number of infections there, I fear that numbers, also if it reaches the elderly, without much medical support available if large numbers occur.

There are a great number of Arubans that I love and miss, and worry about. We have seen other locations getting hit by this virus and I am so fearful for Aruba.

With 22% testing positive out of the number of people tested, does that mean thousands, and thousands, are infected at this point what is the real situation?

I do not care about my holiday at this point but about a part of the world that I have grown to see as my second home, and I am so worried about what may happen.

In my country Aruba is not talked about or of concern to most, since the Dutch are more involved with Curaçao.

ArubaAce
08-15-2020, 08:04 PM
I'm also concerned about the percentage but I haven't seen any updates about hospitalizations so hopefully some of these positives are asymptomatic and/or will recover. As long as they quarantine they will prevent spreading it. This is my positive take on Aruba. My negative or concern take is that Curacao shut their doors to Aruba about a week or two ago when it started so either they know something we don't or were just taking precaution.

Aruba4ever
08-15-2020, 08:15 PM
Sadly Aruba's rates are off the charts currently. I am so concerned with the spread we have canceled our April trip already as I will be doing zero travel until things settle down. I know I am an exception at this point and that is okay as we all need to do what we feel comfortable doing. I miss my friends beyond belief but we will have time to reconnect in person when we feel better about travel- until then I will chat with them via Whats-App.

Andrea J.
08-15-2020, 08:29 PM
you may want to follow Evelyn Wever Croes (Prime Minister) on FB.
all of her posts are public so even if you are not a FB member you can still see them.
when she tells us not to remain positive, I will follow her lead.
and your comment about being positive.....If we cannot be positive and optimistic, then we have nothing.

I want to bring something up if that is OK.

I went to this board in hopes to be able to share my concern with other people who are concerned about the alarming Covid numbers in Aruba.

Percentages of testing positive between 16 an 22% is not seen anywhere in the world.

I get the feeling people here are relatively positive about the situation, and I do not understand that.

The real number of infections there, I fear that numbers, also if it reaches the elderly, without much medical support available if large numbers occur.

There are a great number of Arubans that I love and miss, and worry about. We have seen other locations getting hit by this virus and I am so fearful for Aruba.

With 22% testing positive out of the number of people tested, does that mean thousands, and thousands, are infected at this point what is the real situation?

I do not care about my holiday at this point but about a part of the world that I have grown to see as my second home, and I am so worried about what may happen.

In my country Aruba is not talked about or of concern to most, since the Dutch are more involved with Curaçao.

Andrea J.
08-15-2020, 08:35 PM
this statement is now almost a week old, but it still holds true.

From the Aruban Gvmt to some tour operators and to the ATA

“While potential COVID-19 cases may continue to develop over the coming weeks, Aruba has put into place advanced public health procedures to reduce the risk of transmission on the island.

Aruba has taken an aggressive approach to identifying and managing potential and confirmed cases of COVID-19. The island continues to follow rigorous testing protocols from the World Health Organization and cases among tourists remain extremely low. In addition, the local authorities including the Department of Public Health are working closely with businesses to take careful, deliberate steps to protect their employees and patrons.

As the global impact of COVID-19 continues to evolve, we want to reiterate our commitment to creating a safe and welcoming environment on our One happy island. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we work together to protect the health of Aruba residents and travelers as well as you – our loyal partners.”

LisaGrn
08-15-2020, 09:56 PM
Brenda, first, don't ever be afraid to bring up something that concerns you on this forum. That's one of the great things about this site. No one is going to attack you or post a nasty response. If Andrea or Walt believe something that has been posted is inappropriate, they are very diligent about taking care of it.

We all love Aruba. That's why we're here, that's why we keep going back to that wonderful island and her wonderful people. Perhaps because you are a fairly new poster, you may not realize how many of us here have canceled vacations to Aruba in the past months. Some of us have lost thousands of dollars out of their concern for their own health and the health of the people of Aruba. Canceling those vacations was difficult for all of us and they were difficult decisions to make. The world is living through very scary times and sharing all the things we love about the island and her people and the great times we've had there is cathartic. I would be starting to do some packing right now since I was scheduled to leave in three weeks. For me personally, this forum gives me a place to chat about good things, positive things about a place I dearly love with people who feel the same way. It takes some of the sting out of not being able to be on the island for real. Also, I'd say a good number of the people on this site who post frequently are from the US. The US is kind of a scary place to live right now even in states that are doing well. It's often hard to stay positive about what's going on in our own country.

What I'm trying to say to you perhaps not very well is that don't take our positivity as a lack of caring. We care a great deal about Aruba and her people. So we like to talk about the good things mixed in with the facts about the bad things that are going on there right now. Maybe if you share with us some of your memories of Aruba and the good times you had there would help you feel better about everything? I know that sharing things with people I've come to care about on this forum has done that for me. I'd love to hear some of your stories! :-)

Pegmeister
08-15-2020, 11:09 PM
I believe we are all concerned about the rise in numbers in Aruba. It’s difficult to hear about so many people testing positive. We relate to it as we are also living with the same challenges. Many of us on the forum have been posting here for years. We often stay at the same resorts and think of the staff as our friends. So, yes, we do worry. For those of us who are able to travel to the island it’s a positive thing to be contributing to the island’s economy. For those of us at home, it’s nice to hear that there are protocols in place to keep people healthy. I’m looking forward to once again being able to return to Aruba, hopefully next year.

brady bear
08-16-2020, 02:21 AM
As some mentioned, I do think a lot of these cases are asymptomatic; and think the media is making it worse
when someones dies they test them for the disease, even they tested positive but had another health condition they put "covid" on the death certificate.
I am more worried and fearful for getting covid here in Florida than Aruba;
Will not let my guard down though.
I can not stress enough, wash, wash your hands, do not touch handles, (carry tissues to open those doors.. even to
turn on/off the faucet while washing your hands)
social distancing.. and etc.

Brenda
08-16-2020, 07:38 AM
I'm also concerned about the percentage but I haven't seen any updates about hospitalizations so hopefully some of these positives are asymptomatic and/or will recover. As long as they quarantine they will prevent spreading it. This is my positive take on Aruba. My negative or concern take is that Curacao shut their doors to Aruba about a week or two ago when it started so either they know something we don't or were just taking precaution.

At this point 11 Covid patients are hospitalized, 2 in ICU.
10 American doctors are flown in from Curaçao, and 35 nurses and doctors will arrive today from the Netherlands.

Brenda
08-16-2020, 07:54 AM
Brenda, first, don't ever be afraid to bring up something that concerns you on this forum. That's one of the great things about this site. No one is going to attack you or post a nasty response. If Andrea or Walt believe something that has been posted is inappropriate, they are very diligent about taking care of it.

We all love Aruba. That's why we're here, that's why we keep going back to that wonderful island and her wonderful people. Perhaps because you are a fairly new poster, you may not realize how many of us here have canceled vacations to Aruba in the past months. Some of us have lost thousands of dollars out of their concern for their own health and the health of the people of Aruba. Canceling those vacations was difficult for all of us and they were difficult decisions to make. The world is living through very scary times and sharing all the things we love about the island and her people and the great times we've had there is cathartic. I would be starting to do some packing right now since I was scheduled to leave in three weeks. For me personally, this forum gives me a place to chat about good things, positive things about a place I dearly love with people who feel the same way. It takes some of the sting out of not being able to be on the island for real. Also, I'd say a good number of the people on this site who post frequently are from the US. The US is kind of a scary place to live right now even in states that are doing well. It's often hard to stay positive about what's going on in our own country.

What I'm trying to say to you perhaps not very well is that don't take our positivity as a lack of caring. We care a great deal about Aruba and her people. So we like to talk about the good things mixed in with the facts about the bad things that are going on there right now. Maybe if you share with us some of your memories of Aruba and the good times you had there would help you feel better about everything? I know that sharing things with people I've come to care about on this forum has done that for me. I'd love to hear some of your stories! :-)

I understand, and it is good that people are positive.
Please know I am too, ever since the Covid crisis I have been looking for things that point into a positive direction.
There is so much research, and looking at countries like Sweden where numbers have went down without a lockdown that is very hopeful for everyone.

It is just, the numbers in Aruba are the highest of all countries in the world, maybe the majority of people will be asymptomatic, or people having low viral loads, but we don't know yet, and like all of you who consider Aruba their home, it is something you watch daily, hope for the best, and yet being so worried at the same time.

My memories of Aruba is mostly that I feel happy the moment I step out of the airport. For 15 years I have felt a sense of happiness there that I haven't felt anywhere in the world, and till today I do not know why that is. Flora wise Aruba is not very lush, and I love plants and flowers, I even find it too hot, and I do not like the local traditional food. But somehow I feel a sense of belonging there.
Even though I am not American I have participated in 4th of July BBQ on the beach at times followed by fireworks, those are good memories in the sense of events. Same for the Indulge Aruba.

Thanks for your kind reply (all of you).

cmynes
08-16-2020, 10:20 AM
At this point 11 Covid patients are hospitalized, 2 in ICU.
10 American doctors are flown in from Curaçao, and 35 nurses and doctors will arrive today from the Netherlands.

Brenda - wow - where did you find this out? This is serious knowing how many ICU beds Aruba has. I feel the same as you so you are not alone. We have been going to Aruba for 24 years and I am the happiest when there. We love the people, the weather, our resort, the restaurants and some shopping! If I can’t do all this with freedom next month, then I will wait until things are better so we can totally enjoy. We will reschedule for April and hope for the best. It’s common sense to wash your hands, etc but there is a chance of getting the virus while there and we definitely don’t want to be in the hospital in Aruba. The asymptomatic part is scary because others can get it badly. It is not an emergency for us to go in September. When I rebooked our April canceled trip I thought things would be better by September but not so in Aruba. I want to support Aruba and the people we’ve grown to love but it will have to wait.

robin
08-16-2020, 10:56 AM
Brenda, the numbers do look scary, however; Aruba is very proactive. They do contact tracing and test, test, test. We don't do this in the US. People don't get tested unless they are sick and even then, many don't get tested. I seriously think that, if the US followed the same contact tracing and testing that our numbers would be significantly higher. I think there are a lot of people who had Covid19, were asymptomatic and never knew that had the virus.

cmynes
08-16-2020, 11:25 AM
Brenda, the numbers do look scary, however; Aruba is very proactive. They do contact tracing and test, test, test. We don't do this in the US. People don't get tested unless they are sick and even then, many don't get tested. I seriously think that, if the US followed the same contact tracing and testing that our numbers would be significantly higher. I think there are a lot of people who had Covid19, were asymptomatic and never knew that had the virus.

You are right - Aruba is really following protocol better than some US states. But, I read they are running out of tests which is not good at all.