PDA

View Full Version : Rona's words. "Complicated, but not that bad"

Andrea J.
08-17-2020, 10:03 AM
I am NOT looking to challenge, or argue or disagree.
I am not wanting you to snipe at each other a a result of this and not to digest this to the point that the original subject is unknown.
It is Monday, be kind.
I am just posting this for you to digest and consider.

Author. Rona in her Bati Bleki column.
Rona's thoughts.

It’s complicated but not that bad

I am sure you know by now, that we are dealing with two diseases. One is the flu-like virus that comes and goes, not pleasant but people recover.
Apparently there are two strains now, one which is very contagious, but not deadly, and the other the original version, less contagious, but more deadly.
The other disease, that necessitates hospitalization, is an immune system disorder potentially deadly, in people with pre-existing conditions, and in elderly, whose immune systems are compromised.
That’s how we should look at it.
The first attack, by a virus that multiplies like crazy, is treatable with chicken soup, and rest, and occasional pain remedy. Take Pepcid for all gastric related issues and Vitamin D. Yes, we live in the sun but we don’t get enough.
Then the virus disappears. Leaves us exhausted, but alive.
But sometimes out of the blue, with our immune system is all revved up, and crazy to fight, it overreacts, and starts attacking lungs, hearts, veins, forming clumps in the blood, like a poltergeist, terrorizing all systems. One day it’s a lung disease, the next it is related to the heart, the brain, the works.
This second disease is especially unkind to elderly, and to those with chronic diseases. That’s essentially the problem. We don’t know in advance who will develop the very severe pneumonia and respiratory failure and die, because of the exaggerated immune response.
Dr. E. Anaya writes, as a response to Sunday’s Covid19 chart from Aruba:
Those aren’t bad numbers, proportionally speaking for the population of Aruba. I would be interested in knowing the number of positive cases who get hospitalized.
Can that data be obtained on a running basis?
(Hello hospital, DVG – please report!)
That’s important because if the numbers of patients admitted to the hospital is relatively low compared to the number of people being diagnosed with the virus then you know you’ve got a population that’s not very susceptible to severe disease.
Of course elderly people or those with underlying medical conditions will always have a higher risk of becoming very ill from it and possibly dying.
I think the government is doing a decent job so far.
These are difficult times because the virus is new, so many countries and scientists and politicians are learning as we go. New information comes out every other week or so, and on many aspects — transmission among different age groups, treatment, vaccine efforts, mortality rates, long term consequences for those who survived sever illness, etc.
But the numbers currently in hospital isn’t bad considering the total of positives on the entire island in past months. Also, mortality seems very low in Aruba so far. Hope it stays that way and this will eventually pass.
Wash your hands, exercise social distancing, stay away from crowds, wear a mask shopping, etc.

Pegmeister
08-17-2020, 10:10 AM
Hmm, I think I understand what she is trying to convey. I’ve never heard of the virus referred to as an immune system disorder though. It’s tricky to publish opinions.

WaltVB
08-17-2020, 11:57 AM
Interesting thoughts, but I'm not too sure what she's trying to say.

Aruba4ever
08-17-2020, 12:56 PM
Not really sure either what Dr. Rona is talking about.

ArubaAce
08-17-2020, 01:33 PM
I'm a little confused when she said 2 disease! Is there also a flu outbreak or does she mean COVID affects people differently.

aquaman
08-17-2020, 02:01 PM
I'm a little confused when she said 2 disease! Is there also a flu outbreak or does she mean COVID affects people differently.

Ace.....back in February there was a very strong flu going around the population. We had several friends hit. It was NOT Covid. They all claimed it was the worst flu they had ever had. It is still here bit I hear less about it. So I think her statement about 2 viruses circulating is correct

ArubaAce
08-17-2020, 05:34 PM
Ace.....back in February there was a very strong flu going around the population. We had several friends hit. It was NOT Covid. They all claimed it was the worst flu they had ever had. It is still here bit I hear less about it. So I think her statement about 2 viruses circulating is correct Thanks for the explanation. They are starting to administer the flu vaccine this month in NY. I have a DR appointment in 2 weeks so I am going to get my shot. Can you imagine getting the flu and while sick someone infects you with COVID? What a deadly combination!!!

LisaGrn
08-17-2020, 08:39 PM
Agreed. Very hard to follow where she was really going with that.

Interesting thoughts, but I'm not too sure what she's trying to say.

Andrea J.
08-17-2020, 11:17 PM
I believe that Rona is saying that there is 1 Covid and that it presents as 2.
One Covid is Kind, the other is Brutal
shows up as......
1) yuk I feel crappy, I need bed and soup and Tylenol.
or
2) OMG holy cow, I feel real crappy and think that I need to go to the hospital.

PeterWB
08-18-2020, 06:55 AM
In Canada everyone is encouraged to get tested if they exhibit any of the symptoms. I have one friend who has been tested three times. Our nasal swab test returns results in about three days.

brady bear
08-18-2020, 09:03 AM
I personal think back in late 2019 and early 2020 covid was around but nobody realized what it was. Blame Flu or pneumonia
We lost over 20 residents to the flu/pneumonia in a 2 week period.
I myself had a bad case of Influenza A, (thought it was my allergies too) two days later was so sick, chest discomfort,
cough, chills and etc... went to ER on my dr. advice.. dr there told me you have "Flu A" go home and rest.

robin
08-18-2020, 10:02 AM
I believe that Rona is saying that there is 1 Covid and that it presents as 2.
One Covid is Kind, the other is Brutal
shows up as......
1) yuk I feel crappy, I need bed and soup and Tylenol.
or
2) OMG holy cow, I feel real crappy and think that I need to go to the hospital.

I thought she was saying something like that too, but one of them is asymptomatic.

robin
08-18-2020, 10:12 AM
I personal think back in late 2019 and early 2020 covid was around but nobody realized what it was. Blame Flu or pneumonia
We lost over 20 residents to the flu/pneumonia in a 2 week period.
I myself had a bad case of Influenza A, (thought it was my allergies too) two days later was so sick, chest discomfort,
cough, chills and etc... went to ER on my dr. advice.. dr there told me you have "Flu A" go home and rest.

I agree with you. NYE day hubby said he thought he was coming down with something(10 days after coming back from Turks and Caicos). That was a Tuesday. He got worse and I wanted him to see the doctor on Friday since we were leaving for Aruba on Monday. He did not go. He got worse, looked gray and by Thursday he finally relented and I took him to the urgent care and he had pneumonia in both lungs. A week later I felt like I was dragging, had no real appetite and food had no taste for a few days. We seriously wonder if we had Covid. His doctor(now retired) said probably not because he would have been sicker because of the meds he takes, however; we both have read of other transplant recipients that many had mild symptoms. Unless we get a antibody test I guess we will not know.

Kent-ArubaBob
08-18-2020, 01:00 PM
The Covid has been around for longer than we think. It was said to be in NY even as early as last Oct. When I came to Aruba last Dec and Jan, alot of locals were really sick and didn't know what was going on. They said its something like they have never had it before. Feb my wife went back home from Aruba and she got so sick, she was in bed for a long time. She has never done that before. But its here now and we are going to have to learn to live with it. Thats just how its going to be. We cant get rid of never getting the flu and I think its going to be the same with the covid.

LisaGrn
08-18-2020, 03:28 PM
Robin, if you or Stu have any reason for routine blood work, you might want to check with your doctor. When I went for routine blood work last week, receptionist asked me if I wanted to include the antibodies test as it was being offered free or charge by my doctor. I figured "why not"? If I'd had it and didn't even know it, the antibodies my body had produced would allow me to potentially help others. While I was pretty confident I'd hadn't had Covid-19, it was good to find out I was correct!

I Unless we get a antibody test I guess we will not know.