View Full Version : September 09

Andrea J.
09-09-2020, 06:44 PM

38 still hospitalized

141 new positives.
386 tested
all local positives.
0 tourist positives

Parliament is meeting with the health department's crisis team as I type.

cmynes
09-09-2020, 06:56 PM
OMG just saw the amount of new cases. Seems like the largest number yet. My heart goes out to our people in Aruba. I know this was tough for you to post. So sad!

ArubaAce
09-09-2020, 07:04 PM
WOW I am saddened. I hope the people I've met there are ok and being safe. My prayers.

Pegmeister
09-09-2020, 07:20 PM
It really is discouraging to see the numbers continue to climb. I wonder what the Parliament will decide.

Andrea J.
09-09-2020, 07:37 PM
I know.....the info is sent to me and then I sit and stare at it. I really hate posting it.
Today was the worst.
Last night's hateful and ridiculous nonsense made me even more reluctant to post today's info.

thanks

OMG just saw the amount of new cases. Seems like the largest number yet. My heart goes out to our people in Aruba. I know this was tough for you to post. So sad!

LisaGrn
09-09-2020, 07:54 PM
There are no adequate words. I wonder what they will do. I know it's difficult for you, Andrea. Thank you so much for keeping us informed.

cmynes
09-09-2020, 08:09 PM
I know.....the info is sent to me and then I sit and stare at it. I really hate posting it.
Today was the worst.
Last night's hateful and ridiculous nonsense made me even more reluctant to post today's info.

thanks
You are so right. That was such nonsense hate mail! Thank you for all you do Andrea.

B Likes To Travel
09-09-2020, 08:30 PM
Wow.

this may be off topic...but how are the children doing their schooling? Are they full virtual or in person? I only ask in the context of this gradual spread and it makes me wonder.

Andrea J.
09-09-2020, 09:02 PM
I think that most of the public schools are open.
I do know at least one of the public schools has closed due to the virus.
I believe there was only "in person" offered for this term for the public school kids.

I have not heard how my friends' kids are doing.
They go to the Dutch schools or the International school.

Wow.

this may be off topic...but how are the children doing their schooling? Are they full virtual or in person? I only ask in the context of this gradual spread and it makes me wonder.

Andrea J.
09-09-2020, 09:03 PM
Walt, Jacki and I are thankful for your kind words and humbled.
You are so right. That was such nonsense hate mail! Thank you for all you do Andrea.

robin
09-09-2020, 09:49 PM
I guess they are going to make some tough decisions.

I thought they postponed opening schools.

robin
09-09-2020, 09:55 PM
Today was the worst.

thanks

Looks like I missed something while I was scanning pictures last night.

Kent-ArubaBob
09-09-2020, 10:50 PM
I have friends in Aruba and their kids went back to School with Mask on. We will keep our fingers crossed.

Andrea J.
09-09-2020, 11:13 PM
So the Prime Minister spoke and laid out some requests.

She said that people really need to be accountable and responsible.

In a nutshell she said that:
70% of the covid positives caught the virus being at their home or while visiting .
20% of the covid positives caught the virus at their place of employment

People have to be more responsible.
Over the next 2 weeks they are aiming for the numbers to come down if they do not come down, the options are:

limiting alcohol sales
Shelter in place
Expanding Curfew

Just like here in the USA they have to buckle down and be more responsible.
It takes a lot of effort.
I really wish that we here in the USA would buckle down and the Aruba folks too.

brady bear
09-10-2020, 03:11 AM
Wish people will not let their guards down..
simple very simple guidelines to follow.
They aren't just hurting them selves but the island's in general as well.

Mohair
09-10-2020, 04:00 AM
I hope that they don't do shelter in place again. We were there in March when they first implemented it. These types of lockdowns work in the short term, but when they are lifted the virus spreads. This has happened in several states and countries. Hawaii's experience has been similar to Aruba. A very serious lockdown for months followed by a big spike when they opened up again. The virus is going to virus. People who have been cooped up for months long for human interaction and are fed up with restrictions. Everyone must practice social distancing and washing your hands frequently. It's simple, but some won't practice it.

robin
09-10-2020, 09:19 AM
So the Prime Minister spoke and laid out some requests.

She said that people really need to be accountable and responsible.

In a nutshell she said that:
70% of the covid positives caught the virus being at their home or while visiting .
20% of the covid positives caught the virus at their place of employment

People have to be more responsible.
Over the next 2 weeks they are aiming for the numbers to come down if they do not come down, the options are:

limiting alcohol sales
Shelter in place
Expanding Curfew

Just like here in the USA they have to buckle down and be more responsible.
It takes a lot of effort.
I really wish that we here in the USA would buckle down and the Aruba folks too.

I can see people stocking up on alcohol now. They need to start to patrol the beaches for the large groups that gather, too.

schexc
09-10-2020, 01:08 PM
I can see people stocking up on alcohol now. They need to start to patrol the beaches for the large groups that gather, too.

Hope they still have it at Duty Free for us "tourist" folk:)

ArubaAce
09-10-2020, 01:37 PM
I hope that they don't do shelter in place again. We were there in March when they first implemented it. These types of lockdowns work in the short term, but when they are lifted the virus spreads. This has happened in several states and countries. Hawaii's experience has been similar to Aruba. A very serious lockdown for months followed by a big spike when they opened up again. The virus is going to virus. People who have been cooped up for months long for human interaction and are fed up with restrictions. Everyone must practice social distancing and washing your hands frequently. It's simple, but some won't practice it. The lock downs work but you have to reopen slowly. NYC is the a perfect example and we had the highest rate of positive cases at one point. We shut down in March and slowly started to reopen. Just this week we opened indoor dinning after being closed for 6 months but only at 25% capacity and no one can sit at the bar, tables apart at restaurants etc. Everything is carefully planned for reopening. Movie houses, bowling alleys reopened with small percentage, museums. If you open everything at once like nothing ever happened then there is a possibility of a spike again. I hope we keep our numbers down which have been under 1% for weeks now, hospital is low, ICU is low etc.

cmynes
09-10-2020, 02:30 PM
The lock downs work but you have to reopen slowly. NYC is the a perfect example and we had the highest rate of positive cases at one point. We shut down in March and slowly started to reopen. Just this week we opened indoor dinning after being closed for 6 months but only at 25% capacity and no one can sit at the bar, tables apart at restaurants etc. Everything is carefully planned for reopening. Movie houses, bowling alleys reopened with small percentage, museums. If you open everything at once like nothing ever happened then there is a possibility of a spike again. I hope we keep our numbers down which have been under 1% for weeks now, hospital is low, ICU is low etc.

Totally agree Aruba Ace. NY & NJ did it right. Although I now live in NJ I am a native New Yorker & worked there my whole life...it was definitely the epicenter and now in great shape!

purpleangel
09-10-2020, 03:22 PM
CT is with NY and NJ. The three states banded together when this whole mess started.

Totally agree Aruba Ace. NY & NJ did it right. Although I now live in NJ I am a native New Yorker & worked there my whole life...it was definitely the epicenter and now in great shape!

LisaGrn
09-10-2020, 03:31 PM
The Trifecta!

CT is with NY and NJ. The three states banded together when this whole mess started.

EDMLS1358
09-10-2020, 03:49 PM
The lock downs work but you have to reopen slowly. NYC is the a perfect example and we had the highest rate of positive cases at one point. We shut down in March and slowly started to reopen. Just this week we opened indoor dinning after being closed for 6 months but only at 25% capacity and no one can sit at the bar, tables apart at restaurants etc. Everything is carefully planned for reopening. Movie houses, bowling alleys reopened with small percentage, museums. If you open everything at once like nothing ever happened then there is a possibility of a spike again. I hope we keep our numbers down which have been under 1% for weeks now, hospital is low, ICU is low etc.
NY did it right ,now that indoor dinning is ok at reduced capacity and schools are somewhat open lets hope the numbers stay low or its back to the way it was. I dont think we will be locked down again but things could start closing down, which nobody wants.

Andrea J.
09-10-2020, 05:09 PM
Please repost how your town, county or state is doing in the Off Topic category that already exists about covid in your hometown.