PDA

View Full Version : made our testing appt

Andrea J.
11-16-2020, 09:23 AM
our local health dept has FREE (they do not even take one's insurance card #)
they do PCR fairly rapid read (results within 48 hrs)
drive thru testing site about 6 miles from our home

appointment next Monday morning!

OneHappyTraveler
11-16-2020, 10:09 AM
WOOHOO....crazy that we get excited about going for a covid test .....but we know that a wonderful trip will follow. Diane

brady bear
11-16-2020, 10:37 AM
Awesome.. Free is good.
Just had another negative today. Next test is Wednesday am.

B Likes To Travel
11-16-2020, 11:08 AM
I've tracked down two urgent care facilities that offer rapid PCR testing and are open on Sunday. (I leave Wednesday). They accept my insurance, so we'll see if I get a bill.

Traceyd14
11-16-2020, 12:55 PM
We have appointments at different times of day (based on our schedules) at a lab in DC that says we will have results in 24-35 hours. Im going to call later this week to confirm our appointments. There is an urgent care near us that does the Abbot ID Now test that is accepted in Aruba, but they do not make appointments and they cannot guarantee they will have the supplies on hand to test us Monday. We have seen spikes on our area, so we decided we will just go into the city.

WaltVB
11-16-2020, 04:20 PM
We're going to Velocity about 6 blocks from the house. Making our appointment next Monday/Tuesday. They will only accept RSVPs two days in advance.

phrogg108
11-16-2020, 04:39 PM
Good luck to everyone with the testings!! That is probably the thing that stressed me out the most before our trip. I kept waiting for something to go wrong and have to cancel at the last minute. Until we took off in Charlotte, I just kept expecting something to cause us delays or cancellations. I feel all of your pain right now, but it will all work out! I know it will!! There are lots of trip reports for the rest of us to look forward to, so you HAVE to go! :)

B Likes To Travel
11-18-2020, 10:09 AM
I didn't like the google reviews re: rapid tests for the urgent care places. It seems to be hit or miss. Glad I checked! I made an appointment elsewhere where I'll have a confirmed Rapid result within 20 minutes or so.

Traceyd14
11-18-2020, 10:23 AM
I didn't like the google reviews re: rapid tests for the urgent care places. It seems to be hit or miss. Glad I checked! I made an appointment elsewhere where I'll have a confirmed Rapid result within 20 minutes or so.

I felt the same way about some of the information I was reading on the urgent care options near me. It is a hassle for us to go into DC, but the lab we are using says results of a PCR test will be 24-36 hours so it will be worth it. Jon changed his appointment so we can meet at my office and go over together. I will be so relieved when this part is over.

Virginia recorded their highest number of cases this week so testing at some places are being limited to those with symptoms only.

Andrea J.
11-18-2020, 11:23 AM
I have been told if you have a man bun, you automatically get booted.

We're going to Velocity about 6 blocks from the house. Making our appointment next Monday/Tuesday. They will only accept RSVPs two days in advance.

robin
11-18-2020, 12:36 PM
I have to start looking where we can get tested. We were thinking of just doing it in Aruba, but now PA decided everyone coming in to the state needs to be tested so we don't know if we will have to show a negative result to stay at the hotel near the airport in Philadelphia.

Traceyd14
11-18-2020, 01:52 PM
I have to start looking where we can get tested. We were thinking of just doing it in Aruba, but now PA decided everyone coming in to the state needs to be tested so we don't know if we will have to show a negative result to stay at the hotel near the airport in Philadelphia.

Honestly with the way things are changing so rapidly, it's probably not worth looking into until your are within a couple weeks of travel. Places that told us a month ago no problem, are now not available.

WaltVB
11-18-2020, 04:13 PM
I have been told if you have a man bun, you automatically get booted.

No. Man. Bun. :D

LisaGrn
11-18-2020, 06:10 PM
But are you finally going to cut your hair before leaving or will it be blowin' in the tradewinds? :p

No. Man. Bun. :D

Andrea J.
11-18-2020, 06:20 PM
the answer my friend is blowin' in the wind...................

Andrea J.
11-18-2020, 06:28 PM
Do to my OCD and anal retentive ways (as well as Paul's) we have 2 tests next Monday.

We have test at the Dept of Public Health on Monday morning and our local pharmacy on Monday afternoon.
Both places guarantee written results emailed within 48 hrs.

Off Topic
Didi I mention that I have a haircut appointment tomorrow? (Walt)

Nail fill and Pedi on Wed.

robin
11-18-2020, 07:32 PM
I've never met Walt, but do you have enough hair to make a man bun or let it blow in the wind?;)

WaltVB
11-18-2020, 08:17 PM
the answer my friend is blowin' in the wind...................

What she said!

B Likes To Travel
11-18-2020, 09:09 PM
Do you know how annoying hair x Aruba tradewinds can be? Make sure Pam brings extra hair ties :) You can go low ponytail.

What she said!

WaltVB
11-18-2020, 09:53 PM
I've never met Walt, but do you have enough hair to make a man bun or let it blow in the wind?;)

I like to think so ;)

mlrhoxie
11-19-2020, 11:19 AM
I haven't been following conversations lately, so question re: testing (quote below). Do we have to test more than once? brady bear - you just got negative results on 11/16 and tested again yesterday? is this a new procedure or just precautions? we are leaving in 3wks so want to make sure I know what I'm doing! Thanks

Awesome.. Free is good.
Just had another negative today. Next test is Wednesday am.

Andrea J.
11-19-2020, 11:21 AM
Brady bear is testing lots because she is a nurse and it is required.

the testing regs are still the same......72 hrs out

I haven't been following conversations lately, so question re: testing (quote below). Do we have to test more than once? brady bear - you just got negative results on 11/16 and tested again yesterday? is this a new procedure or just precautions? we are leaving in 3wks so want to make sure I know what I'm doing! Thanks

mlrhoxie
11-19-2020, 12:22 PM
Thanks for clarifying Andrea! :-)

Brady bear is testing lots because she is a nurse and it is required.

the testing regs are still the same......72 hrs out

scott
11-19-2020, 06:00 PM
We are leaving JFK at 8AM Monday morning and we are getting Covid tested Friday morning at 8AM. Is it 72 hours before you leave JKF or 72 hours before you land in Aruba that our test has to be good for?

WaltVB
11-19-2020, 06:41 PM
72 hours before the last leg of your trip. If non-stop, 72 hours before you leave JFK.

scott
11-19-2020, 07:42 PM
Okay, thank you!

WaltVB
11-20-2020, 08:06 PM
So we (Pam) has been searching for a testing site since Velocity doesn't offer the correct PCR test. I think we are just going to get a rapid test here and then test in Aruba on arrival. Has anyone done the test at the airport only? How do we do our ED card for only testing in Aruba? I'm actually confused reading the info here.

Andrea J.
11-20-2020, 08:14 PM
you will do your ED card online and pay for your insurance on that site.
also too you will pay for testing in Aruba.
you will get your green check.
once you go thru immigration in AUA airport and collect your bags, you go for the nasal swab test.

Did you check the CVS in Newport News?

So we (Pam) has been searching for a testing site since Velocity doesn't offer the correct PCR test. I think we are just going to get a rapid test here and then test in Aruba on arrival. Has anyone done the test at the airport only? How do we do our ED card for only testing in Aruba? I'm actually confused reading the info here.

robin
11-20-2020, 08:58 PM
Walt, you don't need the rapid test if you are going to test in Aruba, at least that is my understanding.

Traceyd14
11-20-2020, 08:59 PM

Sorry to hear that Walt. Our friends used the Velocity here before they went to Aruba a couple months ago and one got their results in 2 days and the other got hers during the flight. Both tests were accepted, but they were not the rapid tests. With Thanksgiving and so many people getting tested before going to be with family, I'm afraid the 2-3 days places are going to be longer than that.

B Likes To Travel
11-20-2020, 09:03 PM
Walt, don’t forget about the walgreens option.

WaltVB
11-21-2020, 05:01 AM
It looks like we're going to test in Aruba, but are getting the rapid test for peace of mind before leaving and for the safety of others on our flights. Now the challenge is getting food and drink while quarantined... still have a week to figure everything out.

Traceyd14
11-21-2020, 07:53 AM
It looks like we're going to test in Aruba, but are getting the rapid test for peace of mind before leaving and for the safety of others on our flights. Now the challenge is getting food and drink while quarantined... still have a week to figure everything out.

Are you at the Surf the first night? If so you can't go wrong ordering the rotisserie chicken with salad from the hotel.

robin
11-21-2020, 08:26 AM
Walt, I am a little confused. What type of rapid test are you getting? The PCR rapid test is acceptable for Aruba.

ArubaAngela
11-21-2020, 08:42 AM
Just found out that the Walgreens test is no longer free. They’re charging $129 now. Can turn it in to insurance, but depending upon your insurance if they will reimburse. What a bummer!!

Traceyd14
11-21-2020, 08:44 AM
Walt, I am a little confused. What type of rapid test are you getting? The PCR rapid test is acceptable for Aruba.

I think they are only doing antigen tests for rapid results at the place he was looking at.

SkiChris
11-21-2020, 09:16 AM
Hi Walt,
I was tested at the Aruba airport in September and it is quick and easy. When you fill out the ED Card prior to arrival, the system will default/assume that you need to get tested at the Aruba airport, unless you upload your negative test results. So that may be why the system looks confusing to you because you don't need to opt/select testing at the airport as the system assumes that what you will do (unless you tell it otherwise). Once you pay for your test and pay for your insurance (in the ED card), you are given a green check mark that has a picture of a Test Tube on it. That signals the Aruba Airport that you need to be tested. The covid-test area is located after the customs/immigration scanners at the airport (the airport staff will direct you where to go). It is clean, and very quick.
You can have groceries delivered to your room or order room service. We just relaxed in our room, watched a movie, and planned our week. We are always tired from travel and go to bed early on our first night anyway. You receive an email when your results are in (typically takes 8-12 hrs) and then you are free to explore. If you want any additional information, feel free to send me a PM.

robin
11-21-2020, 09:24 AM
I think they are only doing antigen tests for rapid results at the place he was looking at.

Thanks.

WaltVB
11-21-2020, 06:01 PM
Are you at the Surf the first night? If so you can't go wrong ordering the rotisserie chicken with salad from the hotel.

We were gifted that dinner the last time we were there for Pam's birthday from the staff. Unfortunately, or maybe not, we're at Oceans Club the first week.

WaltVB
11-21-2020, 06:08 PM

This!

WaltVB
11-21-2020, 06:10 PM
Hi Walt,
I was tested at the Aruba airport in September and it is quick and easy. When you fill out the ED Card prior to arrival, the system will default/assume that you need to get tested at the Aruba airport, unless you upload your negative test results. So that may be why the system looks confusing to you because you don't need to opt/select testing at the airport as the system assumes that what you will do (unless you tell it otherwise). Once you pay for your test and pay for your insurance (in the ED card), you are given a green check mark that has a picture of a Test Tube on it. That signals the Aruba Airport that you need to be tested. The covid-test area is located after the customs/immigration scanners at the airport (the airport staff will direct you where to go). It is clean, and very quick.
You can have groceries delivered to your room or order room service. We just relaxed in our room, watched a movie, and planned our week. We are always tired from travel and go to bed early on our first night anyway. You receive an email when your results are in (typically takes 8-12 hrs) and then you are free to explore. If you want any additional information, feel free to send me a PM.

Perfect, believe it or not I'm no longer confused. Thanks so much for sharing your experience, I owe you two Slippery Monkeys if our paths ever cross! :D:cool:

ArubaAce
11-21-2020, 06:36 PM
I have 2 options if I make the trip in December. There is an urgent care center 1 mile from me that promises PCR Nasal Swap test 24-48 hour results, works with all airlines and knows the requirement for all countries for travel. I had no idea about the cost which was not mentioned when I called and I forgot to ask. Well I read some reviews and they charge $250. One reviewer said they asked for $250 upfront, the doctor comes up to the car to do the nasal swap and they ask for the insurance card as well. The person noticed on their insurance web portal they also billed the insurance $250 but under a different name. Now I don't know if they are taking advantage of people or it could be that in order to get such fast results they have to pay the lab more money to be put in the front of the line. Who knows!

My second option is the Jet Blue or Vault saliva test for $119. I think I may just go for that as it's cheaper and I may have to take a test in Aruba for when I come back to NY. We shall see..

Andrea J.
11-21-2020, 06:59 PM
Jet Blue is the way to go!
I am unsure if insurance will reimburse you for that $119, because it is for travel related purposes.

I have 2 options if I make the trip in December. There is an urgent care center 1 mile from me that promises PCR Nasal Swap test 24-48 hour results, works with all airlines and knows the requirement for all countries for travel. I had no idea about the cost which was not mentioned when I called and I forgot to ask. Well I read some reviews and they charge $250. One reviewer said they asked for $250 upfront, the doctor comes up to the car to do the nasal swap and they ask for the insurance card as well. The person noticed on their insurance web portal they also billed the insurance $250 but under a different name. Now I don't know if they are taking advantage of people or it could be that in order to get such fast results they have to pay the lab more money to be put in the front of the line. Who knows!

My second option is the Jet Blue or Vault saliva test for $119. I think I may just go for that as it's cheaper and I may have to take a test in Aruba for when I come back to NY. We shall see..

ArubaAce
11-21-2020, 08:03 PM
I am just going to charge it to my HSA Account. The website said you can use HSA and FSA accounts.

Traceyd14
11-24-2020, 06:25 PM
We have 2 negative test results in hand!

Aruba4ever
11-24-2020, 06:41 PM
GREAT news as you two certainly deserve a break. Have a restful vacation and enjoy the day drinking!

Andrea J.
11-24-2020, 06:47 PM
2 negatives in our hands as well!!!

LisaGrn
11-24-2020, 07:07 PM
So excited for you and Jon!!

SkiChris
11-24-2020, 07:51 PM
Wow!!!! Two sets of negative test results!! This trip report is already off to an AMAZING start.
This is like the ** ALL STAR TEAM ** because it's Andrea, Walt, and Tracey .... some of the superstars of the Aruba Forum ... all on their way to Aruba!!
Let the games begin!

Traceyd14
11-24-2020, 08:19 PM
Wow!!!! Two sets of negative test results!! This trip report is already off to an AMAZING start.
This is like the ** ALL STAR TEAM ** because it's Andrea, Walt, and Tracey .... some of the superstars of the Aruba Forum ... all on their way to Aruba!!
Let the games begin!
And B likes to travel (Bri) will be there getting things all warmed up for our arrival!

Colette M
11-25-2020, 09:17 AM
Andrea, Walt and Tracey - you all have a great time and stay safe in the airports! They seem to be overcrowded these days! You all deserve a wonderful vacation and thank you for all your input on the forum...Colette

WaltVB
11-25-2020, 09:40 AM
Let the games begin!

Such kind words... I think all of our members are superstars!

Andrea J.
11-25-2020, 09:46 AM
yup!!!

Such kind words... I think all of our members are superstars!

robin
11-27-2020, 10:53 AM
We have our testing appointments set for Dec. 9. I had used the travel testing website and there is a place about 55 minutes from us that looked good. I called and they were not scheduling out to our needed date. They also said they could not promise results quickly because they are so busy. I started looking closer to home and discovered the same place had taken over one of the urgent care centers less than 10 minutes from here. I went over today with the testing info from the Aruba website and there is no issue. She made the appointment for both of us without a problem and said to bring the paper with us so they can give us the right test. Hopefully we will get the results back quickly.