PDA

View Full Version : Owning in Aruba - pros and cons

tigi
01-11-2021, 10:24 PM
Hi all,

We have seriously considered buying a house in Aruba, hoping to spend a couple of months there during winter, working remotely. We are looking specifically at houses, as they seem like better value vs condos. The major problem I have trouble getting over is that the market is extremely opaque. Unlike here in the states, there's no MLS so it's impossible to see recent sales, trends, etc. You are essentially at the mercy of realtors - not a great position to be in... It does seem like real estate prices on the island are in decline, and properties have been sitting on the market for months. And yet sellers aren't jumping at lowball offers either. Perhaps everybody is just trying to wait out the pandemic...

So, a few questions for Aruba property owners out there:

1. Based on your observations, by how much have property prices declined year-over-year? If that's too broad of a question, we are looking at 3-bed/2-bath houses in Noord (Opal, Rooi Santo, etc). What would be a fair price range for those, assuming decent condition with need for some cosmetic repairs?
2. What are the carrying costs for a house of that size, on top of land lease fees and property taxes? For example - insurance, trash removal, water, gas, electricity? If there are examples out there with and without a pool, that'd be awesome.
3. Is it feasible to manage ownership of a house in Aruba remotely, visiting perhaps a couple of times a year? For example, I've seen posts on this forum about paying utility bills in cash in person, repairs taking forever, and so on. What other challenges and inconveniences of Aruba property ownership have you encountered? Any government-related challenges - inspections, tax forms, and such?
4. Is it generally safe in Aruba to lock up the house and leave it unattended for months at a time? Or does everybody hire a property management company to periodically check in on things?

Thank you,
T

Andrea J.
01-11-2021, 10:33 PM
welcome to the aruba.com community forum tigi

I hope that you get some answers !!

Aruba4ever
01-11-2021, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the forum. Happy 1st posting. So exciting to be thinking about buying on the island. I think many of the regular posters who own in Aruba own Condos but I am sure they can offer great insight. I think there is a lot to be said about meeting an agent you can trust. I know many members will have their suggestions and all of them have been very good. There is NO mls service like home so having someone you can trust would be invaluable. There are great values to be had if you are in the right spot at the right time. Watching the market and how fast properties sell will give you some idea...but its far from exact.

Hi all,

We have seriously considered buying a house in Aruba, hoping to spend a couple of months there during winter, working remotely. We are looking specifically at houses, as they seem like better value vs condos. The major problem I have trouble getting over is that the market is extremely opaque. Unlike here in the states, there's no MLS so it's impossible to see recent sales, trends, etc. You are essentially at the mercy of realtors - not a great position to be in... It does seem like real estate prices on the island are in decline, and properties have been sitting on the market for months. And yet sellers aren't jumping at lowball offers either. Perhaps everybody is just trying to wait out the pandemic...

1. Based on your observations, by how much have property prices declined year-over-year? If that's too broad of a question, we are looking at 3-bed/2-bath houses in Noord (Opal, Rooi Santo, etc). What would be a fair price range for those, assuming decent condition with need for some cosmetic repairs?
2. What are the carrying costs for a house of that size, on top of land lease fees and property taxes? For example - insurance, trash removal, water, gas, electricity? If there are examples out there with and without a pool, that'd be awesome.
3. Is it feasible to manage ownership of a house in Aruba remotely, visiting perhaps a couple of times a year? For example, I've seen posts on this forum about paying utility bills in cash in person, repairs taking forever, and so on. What other challenges and inconveniences of Aruba property ownership have you encountered? Any government-related challenges - inspections, tax forms, and such?
4. Is it generally safe in Aruba to lock up the house and leave it unattended for months at a time? Or does everybody hire a property management company to periodically check in on things?

Thank you,
T

WaltVB
01-12-2021, 08:30 AM
Welcome to the forum tigi! Good luck in your quest to purchase on Aruba. I can't answer any of your questions but I would never leave a property unattended in Aruba. I would think a property manager a must.

~Amy~®
01-12-2021, 11:08 AM

Thank you,
T

I have many friends on the island (Dutch, Americans, and Arubans) who have owned or currently own a home. NEVER would I leave it unattended without a property manager - and even a property manager isn't a guarantee of not having "issues".

robin
01-12-2021, 11:53 AM
We own a condo at Oceania. When we first started looking we considered a house, but decided we'd feel safer in a gated community with 24/7 security. I spoke with someone who grew up in and lives in Aruba. She said she knew of single family homes, who did have a property manager, but because no one is there all the time, the houses were cleaned out by thieves. It is trues, that with technology, you can see what is going on, but that is only if they don't disconnect the wifi or shut off the power.

I can not speak to owning a home, others on here can, but I can tell you this from owing a condo:

1. whatever it is-expect it to cost twice as much and take at least twice as long to finish and last half the time
2. utilities are expensive
3. even running the AC 24/7 appliances do not last as long as they do at home and neither do the AC units. The salt air is corrosive.
4. they just passed that all property taxes must be paid with a debit card from a bank on the island unless you are over 60 years old
5. everything operates on island time-a good example-a tree uprooted last week along the beach. It took them between 3 and 4 days to remove it and there were never less than 5 men on the job. At home, that tree would have been gone in a few hours.
6. if you ask the same question of several people, expect multiple answers to the same question
7. everything need to shipped in-they don't make much here other than Arubians, aloe products, beer and a few other things
8. our homeowner's insurance does not allow for the condo to be empty for more than 40 days without someone going in and inspecting it.

I can give you the name of who we used to purchase our condo. They also manage it. I have found, when asking them questions, their answers have been correct. They are good.

tigi
01-12-2021, 10:36 PM
Many thanks to all who responded!

Robin - impressive list - very thorough. I am quite surprised by the mention of houses being broken into though. Aruba seemed pretty safe when we were there just a few weeks ago, especially compared to some other places I've visited. Parts of downtown Oranjestad looked a bit shady, but we chalked that up to cruises not running...

We stayed in Oceania for 2 weeks in Dec, renting via Prestige. I believe they are your property management company as well. Agree - they are a decent bunch of folks - all very responsive and helpful. And my wife and I both really liked Oceania, but those management fees are out of control. And there aren't any Venezuelans desperate to sell right now :D

Interesting comment as well, that property taxes now would need to be paid via a local bank. I was trying to figure out a way to avoid opening an account there, since foreign accounts must be declared on US tax return. I guess there's no way around it now...

Aruba4ever
01-12-2021, 10:52 PM
I am enjoying this posting. We are in the beginning process of trying to plan for a spot in 2-3 years if possible. There are replies that are very valuable that I would not have really thought of, thanks! We had zero plans to rent it but reading some of the postings that may or may not be the best decision. Following this thread.

robin
01-13-2021, 07:56 AM
Many thanks to all who responded!

Robin - impressive list - very thorough. I am quite surprised by the mention of houses being broken into though. Aruba seemed pretty safe when we were there just a few weeks ago, especially compared to some other places I've visited. Parts of downtown Oranjestad looked a bit shady, but we chalked that up to cruises not running...

We stayed in Oceania for 2 weeks in Dec, renting via Prestige. I believe they are your property management company as well. Agree - they are a decent bunch of folks - all very responsive and helpful. And my wife and I both really liked Oceania, but those management fees are out of control. And there aren't any Venezuelans desperate to sell right now :D

Interesting comment as well, that property taxes now would need to be paid via a local bank. I was trying to figure out a way to avoid opening an account there, since foreign accounts must be declared on US tax return. I guess there's no way around it now...

The tax change just went into effect the beginning of the year. It really doesn't effect us because Prestige handles all of our bills related to the condo. We just pay for our insurances ourselves and anything related to the car. Besides, if you are over 60 you can pay the taxes in cash, which I will be at the end of the year.

Prestige does take a lot, but it is worth every penny. They are here for all issues. They arranged and over saw the replacement of our AC unit. They are here for all inspections and repairs. They accepted shipment and paid the duty on our washer and dryer and gave us the contact info of their contacts in Miami. They know where to get items. They have been invaulable to us.

annf
01-13-2021, 08:29 AM
A perspective from a single family house owner:

We have owned our home on the island for about 12 years.
Retired and at least one of us is here most of the time

I would not leave a home unattended for months anywhere including the USA.

When we are both gone we have family or friends who come and 'house sit'. Mainly because we have two dogs we would rather not board and plants that need watering. However, if gone for less than a week we have great neighbors who take care of those things

We live in an established neighborhood with all homes occupied (with one exception we are the newbies!) . I think that makes a difference. We all know each other and while we are not on each other's doorstep each day everyone keeps an eye out. People go on vacation and tell a neighbor and neighbor watches for anything different (nothing has!)

We are not on or across the street from the water as Robin is....therefore, I have the same appliances for 12 years. We have replaced some aircos, glad to as the newer ones are quieter and more energy efficient.

Our aircos are splits ( in each room) that might keep our energy costs reasonable. In addition my range is gas and my hot water is gas. I fill one of those big white tanks once a year for around $50. Water bill is way less than NH water bill and while electric is higher (we run the aircos during the day in rooms we occupy as well as bedroom at night....(too old to be uncomfortable...lol) it is less than electric and winter heat costs.

It is difficult to find dependable and good workers, electric, plumbing, etc and when you do , cherish them.

If you see something you like in the store, buy it...like Robin said everything is shipped in....and when it is gone it is gone (furniture, etc).

We do not rent out our property. If you do that creates another set of issues. Do vacation rental only. Long term rental is very tricky.

Location is something to consider. Many think they want to own in the busy tourist areas. Our decision was it is too busy, too many people coming and going, not stable etc in some areas. We enjoy a few hours in the tourist area but we love coming back to our very nice and very quiet neighborhood. We would never know there is Carnival, or Beach Tennis, or Concerts, or cruise ships in unless we choose to partake!

You should check with a US accountant who has some experience with foreign accounts or is willing to check on it. You may find the regulations are better than you think.

Everything costs more here. It is to be expected as there are shipping costs and duty tax.

You likely will see more of your family and friends....all our's love getting away from the 'cold' for 10 days or more!

Our other home is in NH....so I really appreciate the following: In January when I leave the house to go outside, I change from my inside flip flops to my outside flipflops and off I go!

good luck! (oh and we have no regrets about our purchase!!!)

Andrea J.
01-13-2021, 09:42 AM
annf awesome posting/information!!

Aruba4ever
01-13-2021, 10:05 AM
Just some great info! I have read about a horror story or two with long term rentals so that is smart to stay away from- thanks. I also can appreciate everything Robin mentioned about the services Prestige provides.

Our forum members provide great info! Enjoy the day.

schexc
01-13-2021, 03:16 PM
Hi all,

Thank you,
T

We can not answer specifically to a free standing house, as we have a condo, but some general similarities do apply.

1. We purchased pre-construction in early 2017. Since then, we have not experience depreciation, only appreciation.

2. A house owner could better answer this one. Our feeling is that it is all relative. We live in NYS, so taxes property taxes and insurance are inexpensive in comparison, drastically. Keep in mind, that not only the size of the property but construction material can raise the cost of running the A/C. Our condo is masonry, with no sheetrock. When we close the unit down, everything is turned off, sheetrock finish requires that the A/C be left on to eliminate moisture and mold. Split inverter A/C units also make a large difference. We do rent our unit and our water and electric utility costs for the last three years has averaged $730.00 annually. Out trash pickup, internet, pool maintenance and propane for the public grills are included in our HOA, which is very reasonable.

3. We have a management company that is onsite. Any repairs in our unit that need attention have been addressed very quickly.

4. As annf stated...in the proper neighborhood, you'd have better results when leaving a property unattended, however, while we were looking at properties initially, it was advised against.

5. We would do it again in a heart beat. Best of luck!

robin
01-13-2021, 04:52 PM
Yes, taxes are very low compared to home(southern part of NJ). The rate we pay at home for electric and water is much lower. The rate per kw hour for electric in Aruba is more than double what we pay at home. Our electric is high because #1 we have large sliding doors that face the ocean 2. Oceania is being billed at a commercial rate for electric which they are now currently fighting Elmer. We only have a small amount of drywall(in our laundry area)-we learned that when we tried to hang up pictures-we need a concrete bit on a drill to do that. We do run our AC while we are not here at a higher temperature to keep it from getting musty. We also have an electric washer and dryer and hot water heater. We have a 2 bed 2 bath unit.

What I said about appliances, was what I was told. We bought 4 years ago and had to replace the washer and dryer about 3 years ago which were less 10 years old and not a great quality. The other appliance are okay. However, the previous owners had replaced the AC and we had to do the same. The outside units go much faster than at home, however; when I owned a condo at the shore near us, the AC units had short life spans compared to our home 30 miles away.

While we are on Eagle Beach, it is fairly quiet. I love being able to see the water, watch people using the walking/jogging/biking path and out my front door I have a view of the island. I am close to Super Food and Lings.

BTW, depending on where you buy, especially a home, you need to check to see if it has hot water. A lot of the older ones do not have it. Even when we bought this they only had a 19 gallon hot water heater in it. We upgraded it to a regular sized one.

I love Aruba and would not want to be anywhere else.

tigi
01-13-2021, 10:36 PM
Appreciate all the ongoing responses!

Seems like leaving the house unattended is a huge no-no, which makes perfect sense. Come to think of it, I wouldn't leave a place unattended for too long here in NJ either... We actually explored property management services, like Aruba Home Minders and Aruba Villa Vacation Homes, which charge $200-300/mo for their services. Will probably reach out to Alan at Prestige as well... Perhaps that's something we'd have to consider, if we decide to move forward with the purchase.

The potential problem I see is with off-season rentals. Our vision has been to buy a place and spend Dec-Feb (roughly speaking) in Aruba working remotely. So of course that would strip away most of the rental income potential. But even setting that consideration aside, if off-season rentals are weak, the place would effectively sit empty most of the remainder of the year. And like Robin said - a property manager may check on things weekly, but burglars are smart and can easily figure out when to strike. I guess that explains the premium placed on condos in gated communities...

Anyway, what has everybody's experience been with off season rentals?

Andrea J.
01-13-2021, 10:49 PM
I have a comment, but I am not a homeowner/condo owner in Aruba.
The slower season in Aruba is typically not that slow.
If your property is near the water that increases your prospects for getting renters.
2 bedrooms is more popular for renters.
Tourist renters for a week or 2 or 3 are the best..........long term renters, not so much. If they choose not to leave when it is time, even after notice is given, as long as they pay the rent they can continue to live there. We know of someone who got stuck with a tenant for a couple of years who would not leave.
It was a nightmare.

And then..............
I think everyone will tell you not to count on rental income.
Many income property owners are really having hard times due to Covid19.

I am happy that you are getting opinions from those that "know much"

Seems like leaving the house unattended is a huge no-no, which makes perfect sense. Come to think of it, I wouldn't leave a place unattended for too long here in NJ either... We actually explored property management services, like Aruba Home Minders and Aruba Villa Vacation Homes, which charge $200-300/mo for their services. Will probably reach out to Alan at Prestige as well... Perhaps that's something we'd have to consider, if we decide to move forward with the purchase.

The potential problem I see is with off-season rentals. Our vision has been to buy a place and spend Dec-Feb (roughly speaking) in Aruba working remotely. So of course that would strip away most of the rental income potential. But even setting that consideration aside, if off-season rentals are weak, the place would effectively sit empty most of the remainder of the year. And like Robin said - a property manager may check on things weekly, but burglars are smart and can easily figure out when to strike. I guess that explains the premium placed on condos in gated communities...

robin
01-14-2021, 07:38 AM
For us it varies from year to year. We don't need to rent, so what we get, we get. It is usually a week or two a month in the of season. When we see we have large gaps between renters, we usually have a few things maintenance items done if they were not done while we are here.

What area in NJ doing you live?

schexc
01-14-2021, 10:08 AM

We also, like Robin and Stu, did not buy to earn rental income, but we both rent.

The off season for us, is generally slower. Fortunately, being close to the hospital has worked well in the off season, as our management company has a relationship with them. We will get medical professionals and students, that will rent months at a time or more. It is a reduced rate, compared to vacation rentals, but it generates income and keeps the unit occupied. It is generally one person, that just wants a place to lay their head and relax from a long day. They respect the utility usage and our considerate of our furnishings.

It would stand to reason, that ownership closer to the water, would be more attractive to vacation renters in the off season, as rental rates are generally lower and vacancy rate is higher. Robin and Stu's unit is a good example, our unit is a quarter mile inland, with no water view.

Andrea J.
01-14-2021, 12:35 PM
BUT, your unit/complex is a straight shot to the beach.
no hills to climb or numerous crossing busy streets.
1 straight shot and that is a good thing.

I forgot that your place was so close to the hospital.
It is good that the management company has a good relationship with the hospital.

We also, like Robin and Stu, did not buy to earn rental income, but we both rent.

The off season for us, is generally slower. Fortunately, being close to the hospital has worked well in the off season, as our management company has a relationship with them. We will get medical professionals and students, that will rent months at a time or more. It is a reduced rate, compared to vacation rentals, but it generates income and keeps the unit occupied. It is generally one person, that just wants a place to lay their head and relax from a long day. They respect the utility usage and our considerate of our furnishings.

It would stand to reason, that ownership closer to the water, would be more attractive to vacation renters in the off season, as rental rates are generally lower and vacancy rate is higher. Robin and Stu's unit is a good example, our unit is a quarter mile inland, with no water view.

schexc
01-14-2021, 01:31 PM
BUT, your unit/complex is a straight shot to the beach.
no hills to climb or numerous crossing busy streets.
1 straight shot and that is a good thing.

I forgot that your place was so close to the hospital.
It is good that the management company has a good relationship with the hospital.

Yes, an easy walk, which is another reason why we still have fairly good vacation rentals in the off season, under normal conditions. During the pandemic, the hospital had filled the voids nicely.

The management team is aggressive and actively look for alternative tenants. When the refinery was being refurbished, the property was renting to the engineers, but that ended awhile ago.

tigi
01-14-2021, 06:54 PM
We’re in Hoboken. What about yourselves?

For us it varies from year to year. We don't need to rent, so what we get, we get. It is usually a week or two a month in the of season. When we see we have large gaps between renters, we usually have a few things maintenance items done if they were not done while we are here.

What area in NJ doing you live?

tigi
01-14-2021, 06:58 PM
We also didn’t look at rental income as the primary reason to buy, especially since the goal was to be in Aruba during the most in-demand time (Dec-Feb). It seems though rentals during off season are almost a must, even if just to keep the place occupied.

Anyway, I’m amazed at the wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum. Thank you all again for all the info!

robin
01-14-2021, 08:34 PM
We are usually here Jan.-March.

We are at the opposite end-Vineland.

tigi
01-18-2021, 10:30 PM
Sorry, another question - based on something I saw on a different thread. Somebody mentioned a 20-page tax form in Dutch that all property owners who generate rental revenue must now file, declaring their worldwide income and assets. Is that true? If so, was the form easy enough to complete without professional help?

Aruba4ever
01-18-2021, 10:45 PM
Do you need to report your income to the Aruba government and be taxed on it as well as well as the US? So many questions and so many GREAT resources here, thanks!!! NO I don't work for the IRS, lol.

robin
01-19-2021, 04:47 PM
I've heard rumors, but have never filled it out or seen it. I don't know if our management company takes care of it or not.

ArubaAce
01-22-2021, 10:02 AM
I don't own anything in Aruba but I remember a horrible story on this board about a family from England I believe who owned a house in Aruba. They would travel every year and stay for a few months at a time. One year they did not go to Aruba and some people moved into their home which they discovered a year later. They had a difficult time getting them out of their home on account that they were living there for a year and there was some Aruban squatters law that protected them. I think it took them 6 to 9 months to get them out legally.

Aruba4ever
01-22-2021, 10:24 AM
I remember that or a similar story for sure. I myself would only feel comfortable owning a condo WITH a management company. I like the set-up a number of places have including Blue and Oceania with a prestige person in-house taking care of things. I am sure its not perfect but it would make me feel comfortable.

I don't own anything in Aruba but I remember a horrible story on this board about a family from England I believe who owned a house in Aruba. They would travel every year and stay for a few months at a time. One year they did not go to Aruba and some people moved into their home which they discovered a year later. They had a difficult time getting them out of their home on account that they were living there for a year and there was some Aruban squatters law that protected them. I think it took them 6 to 9 months to get them out legally.

tigi
02-14-2021, 10:19 PM
So we’re in Aruba now, renting a house this time to try it out. It’s very nice here in Boroncana, but it seems electric and water for a house with a pool can easily run $1k/mo or more. At least that’s what our hosts told us, and they manage 20+ properties, so they have a decent data set to work with. And yes, all of their houses have split AC units... I wonder if the costs would be significantly lower with a condo or townhouse, which wouldn’t need water and electricity constantly running for the pool and irrigation. Also, is anybody familiar with Jardines Del Mar? Seems like an older development, but very well kept and walking distance to Eagle Beach.

Aruba4ever
02-14-2021, 10:25 PM
That seems like a huge number to me and I honestly have issues thinking its accurate. I can ask a couple of friends who own houses if you want their figures...but these seem a bit over the top.

So we’re in Aruba now, renting a house this time to try it out. It’s very nice here in Boroncana, but it seems electric and water for a house with a pool can easily run $1k/mo or more. At least that’s what our hosts told us, and they manage 20+ properties, so they have a decent data set to work with. And yes, all of their houses have split AC units... I wonder if the costs would be significantly lower with a condo or townhouse, which wouldn’t need water and electricity constantly running for the pool and irrigation. Also, is anybody familiar with Jardines Del Mar? Seems like an older development, but very well kept and walking distance to Eagle Beach.

Andrea J.
02-15-2021, 09:22 AM
that is a huge amount and even with a pool it should not be that high.

are the split units set at a higher temp when you are not in that particular room?
they should be.
or
the units should be off windows opened and let the air flow thru.

the pool pump should be on a timer and if the pool does not get huge loads of users, it can operate 2 hrs on, 2 hrs off all day/night.

robin
02-15-2021, 10:32 AM
I wonder if it is in florins instead of US $$$. How
large is the house? We did look at Jardins Del Mar. small older condo complex close to the beach. The condos were nice but we didn’t want stairs. Nice location.

SkiChris
02-15-2021, 12:20 PM
I agree with Robin's assessment that the monthly cost estimate you were provided was likely in florin and not USD. Our average water & electric (combined) cost is in the range of $400-$500 per month (for 3 Bedroom/3 bath house w/pool). Utilities are definitely expensive in Aruba (especially water since Aruba needs to "make" their water at the desalination plant) - but given that there is no heating bill, I find the total monthly utility cost for a house in Aruba is similar to the monthly utility cost for the house we own in the USA (in upstate NY).

Aruba4ever
02-15-2021, 12:40 PM
Its what we pay in MA as well. My electric last month was 175 and we paid about 300 for oil as well. In the summer our electric bill goes well over 350 most months with central AC.

I agree with Robin's assessment that the monthly cost estimate you were provided was likely in florin and not USD. Our average water & electric (combined) cost is in the range of $400-$500 per month (for 3 Bedroom/3 bath house w/pool). Utilities are definitely expensive in Aruba (especially water since Aruba needs to "make" their water at the desalination plant) - but given that there is no heating bill, I find the total monthly utility cost for a house in Aruba is similar to the monthly utility cost for the house we own in the USA (in upstate NY).

tigi
02-15-2021, 02:07 PM
Well, their estimate was Afl. 700 - 2000 monthly. I guess the midpoint (Afl 1,350) converted to USD would be a more reasonable $750. And their estimate may have included other utilities, such as trash pickup, internet, etc. Not sure whether it included pool maintenance... probably not.

robin
02-15-2021, 05:01 PM
Well, their estimate was Afl. 700 - 2000 monthly. I guess the midpoint (Afl 1,350) converted to USD would be a more reasonable $750. And their estimate may have included other utilities, such as trash pickup, internet, etc. Not sure whether it included pool maintenance... probably not.

Our two bedroom condo facing the ocean which means full sun for at least 6 hours a day costs us about $250-350(USD) a month in electric, however; we are not being charged residential rates rather large commercial rates(currently the condo association is taking Elmar to court-long story). If and when we are reduced to residential rate, our bill should drop at least $80 a month.

Elmar has a tiered rate system. The rate goes up as your usage goes up-first 500 kw is one price, the next 500 kw is higher and over 1000 kw is the highest rate. These rates are still higher than what we pay at home-about 4 cents more a kw. https://www.elmar.aw/your-electricity-statement/rates

Water is expensive compared to what we spend at home. Our bill here between what we spend in months we don't water the lawn and months we do water at home.

annf
02-15-2021, 05:21 PM
Add me to the list of that amount is way off! We have splits also and if room not being used the airco is not running, however as I have stated before...we run aircos in rooms we are using...I'm too old to be uncomfortable...lol. Of choice we do not have a pool...our good friend does...her water bill is not high at all! Some months our's is higher as we hand water some trees and plants....a husband hobby. Our monthly phone, cable, internet bill is lower in Aruba than USA. We have a dedicated USA line and even that is inexpensive. If you use the government trash collection the cost is $250 a year....there is private trash pick up but I don't know what that cost is. We are very happy with Serlimar (the government trash collection).

Arawak
02-15-2021, 06:18 PM
Might be interesting to know for owners that Aruba recently signed a deal with EagleLNG to replace crude oil with gas. Hopefully making utilities significantly cheaper when its all set and done according to the government. Jobs set to begin in the summer.

"The LNG will replace heavy fuel oil used for water treatment and power generation in Aruba, while the island will serve as a distribution and bunkering hub for the region, Eagle LNG said."

https://www.argusmedia.com/en/news/2178170-eagle-lng-signs-preliminary-terminal-deal-with-aruba

Aruba4ever
02-18-2021, 11:05 PM
Here is my thought as of today- I wish I had the money to buy as I feel there must be some GREAT buys out there right now. Many people who relied on rental income must be way behind with their condo fees and taxes or are draining accounts to pay them. It stinks paying for a spot you can't use and if its causing financial headaches people may be willing to accept much less than they would under "normal" circumstances.

Stanley
04-11-2021, 08:33 AM
Robin, it.will probably help to cover (some) of the windows with ( heavy blackout) curtains
.have you tried this already?

Stanley
04-11-2021, 08:51 AM

Stanley
05-31-2021, 03:41 AM
a lot of good answers / advices here already, proof of a wonderful community!

In case you have more questions, feel free to contact me anytime.

Stanley
05-31-2021, 03:48 AM

that can be correct if you leave all AC's running 24/7 with the door open maybe. I use electricity and water for my family (3 persons, 2 bed, 1 bath, 2 AC 24/7) and I pay half of what you claim...) I hope you found your leak...

Aruba4ever
05-31-2021, 10:57 AM
Stanley do you have a pool? A pool itself will run well over a $100 a month on its own...She mentioned a 3 BR and 3 Bath...you have a 2br with 1 bath...not sure we are comparing the same house and hence the difference. Do you like your place at 73F or 67F. Are you in full sun or shade? We have another owner that I want to say was paying over 400 monthly for a 2br condo as they are in the sun all day and really can heat up the rooms. All that said, sorry Chris you had to deal with someone questioning your ACTUAL experiences. Sorry, Stanley you seem way off on this one and seem like you are talking down to Chris.

that can be correct if you leave all AC's running 24/7 with the door open maybe. I use electricity and water for my family (3 persons, 2 bed, 1 bath, 2 AC 24/7) and I pay half of what you claim...) I hope you found your leak...