PDA

View Full Version : May 1995 - My first Aruba Trip

Laura in NH
07-26-2021, 08:57 PM
I have a few more pics somewhere, and I'll find them someday. In the meantime, my first trip to Aruba was in May 1995. A birthday gift from my then boyfriend, now husband. His coworker, Henry, was already an Aruba addict and had several weeks timeshare. We booked through Filene's Basement Vacation Outlet and stayed at Divi Divi before it went all-inclusive.

One pic is Pueblo Mart, the grocery store. I don't remember exactly where it was, but I know it wasn't far from low-rise area, and we bought snacks and stuff for sandwiches.

We went with Henry and his daughter, Carole, to the female impersonator show at the Tropicana. We went to Tony Roma's, I remember being excited about that because the one at home had closed down.

We took a cab to the natural bridge - the cab was a new Mercedes, but the driver didn't seem to mind hahaha. We went with Henry and Carole for a snorkel trip on Mi Dushi, and also to El Gaucho.

We went to Twinklebones and were entertained by the singing chef before ducking out to avoid the conga line.

We went to Adventure Golf (mini golf) which used to be in the vicinity where Super Food is now.
The photos were taken with a film camera so I didn't know how crappy most of them were until I got home and had the film developed. And the photos I have at this moments are picture of my scrapbook pages, so they are not the best. When I ever find the rest of the pics, I'll share them :)

9403 9404 94059406 9407

Laura in NH
07-26-2021, 08:59 PM
9408 9409 9410 9411

LisaGrn
07-26-2021, 09:22 PM
Laura, these are great! Twinklebones? A singing chef?! Would love to hear more!

Pegmeister
07-26-2021, 09:25 PM
Love this post! Thanks for sharing your memories.

Andrea J.
07-26-2021, 09:36 PM
omg twinklebones and then changed to twinkletones.

I thought the dinners there were quite delicious.

thanks for the photos Laura!

Laura in NH
07-26-2021, 09:46 PM
Laura, these are great! Twinklebones? A singing chef?! Would love to hear more!

The conga line (notice I'm photographing it, not dancing in it)

I probably did end up in the conga line, but it's too many years and too many beers ago to remember ;)

I don't remember many details on TB. I think it was kind of a dinner and show sort of thing. They had two seatings and we went to the earlier one. At the end of dinner, the chef came out singing and the staff would get everyone up dancing. It was for me one of those things that's fun to do once, but I'm not going back. haha I'm not sure when they closed.

Andrea J.
07-26-2021, 10:07 PM
I am guessing that they closed somewhere around 2001 or 02.
One of the owners of the restaurant was always passing out the dinner show flyers at the Natural Bridge. (before it fell down)

The food there never got much recognition, but I always enjoyed my dinner and avoided the audience participation part.
Twinklebones was a right of passage.

The conga line (notice I'm photographing it, not dancing in it)

I probably did end up in the conga line, but it's too many years and too many beers ago to remember ;)

I don't remember many details on TB. I think it was kind of a dinner and show sort of thing. They had two seatings and we went to the earlier one. At the end of dinner, the chef came out singing and the staff would get everyone up dancing. It was for me one of those things that's fun to do once, but I'm not going back. haha I'm not sure when they closed.

cpjones
07-26-2021, 10:29 PM
Great stuff... and fun memories for you. Thanks for sharing them!

Aruba4ever
07-27-2021, 12:25 AM
I LOVE your photos. It brings me back in time to our 1st trip...96.

SkiChris
07-31-2021, 04:56 PM
I loved the photos! I remember when Mi Dushi was a sail boat vs a power boat (as the tour runs today). My husband and I sailed on MiDushi on our honeymoon in 1996 (that was the year of our first visit to the island). I have some photos in a photo album of us on the boat but I never took a photo of whole ship so I really enjoyed that photo of you in the water with the boat in the background.

annf
07-31-2021, 08:53 PM
Our first trip to Aruba was 35 years ago (last week...we traveled the last week in JUly) ! Many memories....looooong before Aruba became what it is today (imagine Eagle Beach with nothing after Manchebo!!). We loved Twinklebones. My mother bought the video when she and my father dined there...she use to watch it over and over! And I agree Andrea, the food was good....the experience fabulous!!

bhoffdhoff
08-01-2021, 10:22 PM
The photos were great!! Thanks for sharing. Our first visit was in 2000. I remember getting brochures on the beach for Twinkletones.

coldsteel337
08-02-2021, 08:38 AM
Good memories. Enjoyed hearing about the olden days

DiviDiviFan
08-02-2021, 03:08 PM
Loved your stories, memories and pictures. 1995 doesn't seem too long ago until you look at pictures lol...Twinklebones is the cutest name. By the way great memories with all your details. enjoy your next trip to Aruba and thanks for sharing:)

WaltVB
08-02-2021, 08:08 PM
Cool photos, looks like a few things have changed over the years.;)