PDA

View Full Version : Adding condo to a will

ArubaAngela
09-14-2021, 08:29 AM
I purchased my condo last year and realized that I need to change my will to,add the condo to my estate. The lawyer wasn’t sure if a United States will would be recognized in Aruba. Does anyone have experience with this?? I was going to email the notary that handled our purchase and ask them.

robin
09-14-2021, 09:15 AM
Funny you should ask, as we just redid our wills-we signed them just two weeks ago. I will private message you.

Alan r
09-14-2021, 03:06 PM
My wife and I closed on our Condo on June 15th, we had the same question as you. We contacted our notary at Newleaf about that and this is the response we got. '' If you have a will in the US this will be respected in Aruba as well. If I and my wife both pass away we will contact your attorney in your state and ask for a legal opinion to confirm who will be your heirs. After this has been confirmed we will be able to transfer the property in Aruba into the Name(s) of your Heir(s)." You are correct to email your Notary - I would be interested to see if they give you the same response.

robin
09-14-2021, 04:21 PM
There is a difference, from my understanding, if it is in the Will or if you put it in a Trust.

coldsteel337
09-14-2021, 05:24 PM
We added one of our children to the deed. They will all have access to the weeks we have.

robin
09-14-2021, 06:25 PM
We added one of our children to the deed. They will all have access to the weeks we have.

I think it is different if you have a timeshare vs a condo or house. You don't go through a Notary(settlement) with a timeshare, however; a condo or house you do.

OneHappyTraveler
10-04-2021, 07:14 PM
We added my daughter as an owner of our timeshare....when we die its hers..our lawyer said we didn't need it in the will because she is now an owner. Diane

schexc
10-04-2021, 08:11 PM
I believe the question applies to real property. Like Robin said, timeshares are approached differently.