PDA

View Full Version : Huge Increase in Water and Electric August 1

robin
08-01-2022, 01:43 PM
I received an email today about an increase in water and electric prices. I checked on line and here is the basic info:

10140 10141 10142

While it will effect home owners the most, resorts that place a surcharge on rooms for water and electric may pass that increase on to tourist.

act1966
08-01-2022, 01:54 PM
Yikes.

Colette M
08-01-2022, 02:58 PM
Wow that’s some increase! I also feel bad for the locals who have to pay more money.

robin
08-01-2022, 05:36 PM
Wow that’s some increase! I also feel bad for the locals who have to pay more money.

There was an article, which I did not read, about the local labor unions getting together to protest the hike. They announced the rate increase about 3 days or so ago.

For those of us who own condos, our water and electric will also go up. I think it will cost us about $100 a month extra.

The associations will also have added electric costs for lighting, pool pumps, etc. and water for landscaping and pools. Depending on the individual associations and what they are currently charging, they will have to probably have to raise fees again.

schexc
08-01-2022, 06:54 PM
There was an article, which I did not read, about the local labor unions getting together to protest the hike. They announced the rate increase about 3 days or so ago.

For those of us who own condos, our water and electric will also go up. I think it will cost us about $100 a month extra.

The associations will also have added electric costs for lighting, pool pumps, etc. and water for landscaping and pools. Depending on the individual associations and what they are currently charging, they will have to probably have to raise fees again.

I looked at our average charges for last year. It looks like out total increase for water and electricity, will increase $19.00 per month.

flpctc
08-01-2022, 07:55 PM
As much as I am bummed about the increase in Aruba and I am :(, I am super bummed about the increase here in NH.
Depending on who your electric provider is, starting today, rates increase between 77% up to 111% .
Super sad for all those who barely make ends meet now and already work full time or more. It's just too much :mad:

flpctc
08-01-2022, 07:57 PM
I looked at our average charges for last year. It looks like out total increase for water and electricity, will increase $19.00 per month.
Thanks schexc for that info. I hope that's all I see with my bills.:rolleyes:

schexc
08-01-2022, 09:55 PM
Thanks schexc for that info. I hope that's all I see with my bills.:rolleyes:

You have a larger unit than we do, and we only have two split A/C units. Robin and Stu's condo is over twice our size and has central air. Their pain will be much more. Act1966 had a free standing house, but since he is now spending most of his time as the Loch Ness, he will not suffer. However, I suspect his Spouse, will crank it up;)

robin
08-01-2022, 10:15 PM
You have a larger unit than we do, and we only have two split A/C units. Robin and Stu's condo is over twice our size and has central air. Their pain will be much more. Act1966 had a free standing house, but since he is now spending most of his time as the Loch Ness, he will not suffer. However, I suspect his Spouse, will crank it up;)

It'll hit us with electric more than water. ACT1966 has a pool and pools require pumps, filters and water-double whammy.

schexc
08-02-2022, 02:11 AM
It'll hit us with electric more than water. ACT1966 has a pool and pools require pumps, filters and water-double whammy.

Are you still be charged commercial rates for electric?

robin
08-02-2022, 10:11 AM
Are you still be charged commercial rates for electric?

Yes, and several other condo complexes. The first round in court is scheduled. Fingers crossed. Nothing happens quickly in Aruba, except when they raise prices or drive.

act1966
08-02-2022, 10:51 AM
Act1966 had a free standing house, but since he is now spending most of his time as the Loch Ness, he will not suffer. However, I suspect his Spouse, will crank it up;)

To quote the inimitable Mrs. Doubtfire, "Brace yourself, dearie..."

We're in the process of implementing solar that will offset a good chunk (if not all) our hydro usage. As for water, well... there's a price for living in paradise. I've told The Spouse that the rations begin immediately.

robin
08-02-2022, 12:15 PM

We're in the process of implementing solar that will offset a good chunk (if not all) our hydro usage. As for water, well... there's a price for living in paradise. I've told The Spouse that the rations begin immediately.

We have solar on our house at home. Big initial investment, but it does pay for itself. In Aruba, the condo complex has some and is adding more. The "payback time" in Aruba is much shorter than in NJ. Another good thing about solar in Aruba vs NJ is there are no squirrels to chew on the wires and cause $$$$$$$$ worth of damage.

schexc
08-02-2022, 02:17 PM

Might have to give up the Angus beef braised short ribs...:eek:

LisaGrn
08-02-2022, 02:37 PM
IMO, Aruba is quickly pricing itself out of the average tourist market. I'm sad to say this may be my last trip there with all the price increases...

act1966
08-02-2022, 04:29 PM
Might have to give up the Angus beef braised short ribs...:eek:

<<gasp>> we’re leaving.

LisaGrn
08-02-2022, 04:37 PM
yeah, give up somethin' else. You don't really need that A/C do you? :rolleyes:

<<gasp>> we’re leaving.

WaltVB
08-02-2022, 05:56 PM
You're right about getting priced out of Aruba. We noticed the prices of almost everything had increased, even happy hours, on our last trip. I realize Aruba is in recovery mode, but it's not the time to get greedy...

schexc
08-02-2022, 06:04 PM
You're right about getting priced out of Aruba. We noticed the prices of almost everything had increased, even happy hours, on our last trip. I realize Aruba is in recovery mode, but it's not the time to get greedy...

Well, you know we picked up on it too:rolleyes:

Andrea J.
08-02-2022, 06:38 PM
everything everywhere is priced up.
it is a state of our world.
what I do hope, is that when things are better economically worldwide, Aruba will get their prices back in order.
I hope the USA gets their prices back in order too.

gas pricing in Aruba is going to be cut soon!
so that is a good thing.

as an off topic....we received our June electric bill and our fuel adjustment cost was higher than the cost of the actual electricity. (City of Lakeland electric)
we pay $.05 per kWh for electricity and $.06 per kWh for fuel adjustment charge.
I try not to complain about my electricity because we do not have to pay for oil or gas for heating. we only had our electric heat on for a total of 10 hrs this past winter.

Aruba4ever
08-02-2022, 06:49 PM
I agree with Andrea, prices are up everywhere sadly. If not Aruba, its Boston, or NY, FL, NJ etc...its skyrocketing> Know its happening everywhere does not make it any easier to afford to do the things we all want to do on vacation. Here is hoping we all get to vacation as we see fit and this inflation thing is a thing of the past!