This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Amuse Sunset Restaurant - Recovery Efforts Underway

Post Thanks / Like

Amuse Sunset Restaurant - Efforts to Recover Underway

Hi everyone. There have been several posts about the tragic fire that recently destroyed Amuse. This was a terrible setback for hard working owners Patrick van der Donk and his wife Ivette Benavides. To add insult to injury, their insurance providers have taken a harsh stance, meaning it will be difficult for them to collect for everything they lost. But Patrick and Ivette are undeterred. They have bills to pay and mouths to feed - they graciously accepted the offer from the owners of Aruba Racquet Club to work out of their temporarily while they gather their thoughts and plan their recovery and return. For those interested in supporting them, there are two initiatives underway to help get them back on their feet. First, on Monday March 11, there is a Charity Dinner and Silent Auction at the Restaurant at Tierra del Sol. Second, there is a GoFundMe campaign that has been launched to raise funds to help them. Details for both initiatives can be found on the Amuse website and on their Facebook page. I know that Patrick and Ivette would be incredibly appreciative of any support.
    Last edited by mmattalo; 02-24-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Rewording: was just surprised not to see replies to this post. For those who have reached out directly, I am sure Patrick and Ivette are very appreciative. The words of confidence they are receiving is helping them be positive. Thank you.
    Last edited by mmattalo; 02-27-2019 at 06:44 AM.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Andrea. I do not wish any ill will, merely trying to help this family. My off the cuff comment, was merely that - just an observation and not a judgement - I can understand how it can be misread. Your comments are well taken that those that know the people and the situation will do what they feel is appropriate, if anything. I will back off this thread now and just let the first post serve for information purposes only. Be well everyone. Michael
    2 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    here is an article re: yesterdays dinner/auction
    it went very well
    https://batibleki.wheninaruba.com/su...4WI_LEOkPF7W6w

Quote Originally Posted by mmattalo View Post
    Thank you Andrea. I do not wish any ill will, merely trying to help this family. My off the cuff comment, was merely that - just an observation and not a judgement - I can understand how it can be misread. Your comments are well taken that those that know the people and the situation will do what they feel is appropriate, if anything. I will back off this thread now and just let the first post serve for information purposes only. Be well everyone. Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    here is an article re: yesterdays dinner/auction
    it went very well
    https://batibleki.wheninaruba.com/su...4WI_LEOkPF7W6w
    That is a nice article showing people coming together in a time of need. I like that they had hospitality students and other chefs there to volunteer. I hope that those on the island and close to the family will keep us up to date on the new location. We had an excellent meal at their Playa Linda location, and other family members had a great time at the sunset location a few months ago. Wishing them success! I selfishly hope they open a location closer to the hotel areas.

1 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    has anyone heard if Amuse will relocate out of the Racquet Club?

and

has there been any cause of fire determination?