This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caribbean Journal's 50 Best Restaurants

Post Thanks / Like
    I would put at least a couple of dozen spots ahead of Screaming Eagle just on Aruba never mind all the other islands. I never compare Aruba to NYC or any other place US destination we have dined at. I will however compare dining in Aruba compared to the other island spots I have been to through the years. Yes if you can believe we have been to other islands. They include Antigua, Bahamas, St. Kitts, Bermuda 4 times, and San Juan (US I know, lol) and I find the dining in Aruba to be outstanding but I am pretty sheltered compared to others I too am surprised only one spot made it and they chose SE as the location.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 12-31-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it boils down to what each person likes. I've been to fine dining and causal dining places in various places-US cities, small towns, the island, and in other counties. I have to say, some of the best food, especially ethic food, is not the high end, fine dining places, but rather the mom and pop family owned restaurants that use tried and true family recipes that have been handed down from generation to generation. It does not need to cost $150 a person (without drinks) with a fancy name and a snooty chef and staff to be great. You just need a place that is clean, comfortable, has an attentive and friendly staff, and the food is made with fresh quality ingredients, cooked properly and made by people who enjoy their job and you will find a lot of these places in the small cities and towns.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup.
    Some of the food trucks on Aruba have superb food..also a place like Scott’s Brats is outstanding too ... it is all very subjective.
    What other Aruba Restaurants do you believe should have made the list ?

QUOTE=robin;354809]I think it boils down to what each person likes. I've been to fine dining and causal dining places in various places-US cities, small towns, the island, and in other counties. I have to say, some of the best food, especially ethic food, is not the high end, fine dining places, but rather the mom and pop family owned restaurants that use tried and true family recipes that have been handed down from generation to generation. It does not need to cost $150 a person (without drinks) with a fancy name and a snooty chef and staff to be great. You just need a place that is clean, comfortable, has an attentive and friendly staff, and the food is made with fresh quality ingredients, cooked properly and made by people who enjoy their job and you will find a lot of these places in the small cities and towns.[/QUOTE]
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Local Store.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Local Store and will go at least once in April.
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Local Store.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as the best goes, you know my 2 favorite are Casa Nonna and BLT for the combo of great service and incredible food.

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good afternoon everybody,

A Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to everyone here on the forum.

I have split my comments on the Caribbean Journal's 50 Best Restaurants List between two threads; Aruba-only comments here and those dealing with the rest of the list in the non-Aruba category.

Like Amy, I am not totally surprised that only one Aruba restaurant made the list. Many of us, whether based on genuine restaurant experiences or a sense of loyalty to the island itself, may at times exaggerate the quality of FSA (Food, Service, Atmosphere) in Aruba, while giving their shortcomings a pass.

On all of our trips to Aruba over almost 40 years, we have found many treasures and the odd disappointment.

Ok, now let's head over to the non-Aruba category.

Glenn
    Winnipeg, Canada
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Like I've said on here before, Caribbean Journal is mostly focused on Caricom, West Indian islands. It wouldn't surprise me if the editors have never been here.

As a local, I wouldn't put screaming eagle anywhere near the top. But it's all personal preferance. You'll get better tenderloin at piets food truck than most restaurants. Having lived in Europe as well for almost a decade, I can say that the variety and quality found here is much better than the Netherlands, Belgium or scandanavian countries. Only when I went to the southern countries like France and Spain did I find restaurants of similar or better quality. I've been to restaurants in castles that are 100 euros plus per person but lacking the quality of a 25 florin meal at some places here. It really is personal preference.
    Last edited by Arawak; 12-31-2019 at 08:15 PM.
    0 2