This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good family restaurants near Renaissance / Downtown Oranjestad?

Post Thanks / Like

Good family restaurants near Renaissance / Downtown Oranjestad?

Second visit to the island, first time with a kid in tow. Last time was a decade ago and we stayed out on Palm Beach (Marriott Stellaris).

This time, we'll be in Oranjestad and I'm looking for advice on more family-friendly restaurants. (My kid -- 7 years old -- is fairly adventurous, but he's not going to get much out of $30 to $40 entrees, nor is he likely to weather a formal dining room well after a long day at the beach.)

Any recommendations for informal/casual restaurants within reasonable walking distance of the Renaissance? (1/2 mile or so?) Bonus points for Aruban food that isn't pastechi -- we'll definitely be getting our share of those!

Also, an unrelated question that's probably not worth its own post -- how long is the bus ride from the Renaissance to Ling and Sons (looks like L10/L10A/L10B?)
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Aruba.com community forum

Bus trip is a short ride maybe 2 miles you would be way better with taxi

restaurants that are family friendly in the REN Ocean Suite area:

Casa tua
    Dutch Pancakes
    Hung Paradise
    Hopi Bon.
    West deck

Maybe be some of our REN stayers can suggest restaurants also

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrea has you covered. All those spots are right outside your door at Renaissance Ocean Suites. I would also add Cafe dePlaza. There is also Fresco right by the pool and if you go out to the island there is a restaurant there.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes peg!
    the restaurant on the island gets some wonderful reviews.
    they now serve breakfast.
    folks say that it is not only a delicious breakfast, but huge and is enough for 2 people.
    that island restaurant has "come a long way"
    in the days of not really too many years ago the place was just "ok" and there was no breakfast served.
    now, it not only serves breakfast, but good lunch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Andrea has you covered. All those spots are right outside your door at Renaissance Ocean Suites. I would also add Cafe dePlaza. There is also Fresco right by the pool and if you go out to the island there is a restaurant there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the recommendations (and the warm welcome) -- I'll be sure to check them out!

I'm also excited to hear that the island restaurant (Papagayo) is worth a visit, particularly because we plan on spending a good amount of time there.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    if possible, get to the island early.
    we watched the shuttle boats bring passengers over (while we were at Surfside) and those boats were brimming with guests early on...8 am.
    the shuttles are frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by lambretta76 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations (and the warm welcome) -- I'll be sure to check them out!

I'm also excited to hear that the island restaurant (Papagayo) is worth a visit, particularly because we plan on spending a good amount of time there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    if possible, get to the island early.
    we watched the shuttle boats bring passengers over (while we were at Surfside) and those boats were brimming with guests early on...8 am.
    the shuttles are frequent.
    Oh, definitely -- we'll be wanting to visit the island early to see the flamingos during the morning family hours. And, since the breakfast is legit, I can see another day or two well spent starting out on the island. Thanks!
    0 0

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Papagayo is the restaurant on the island that serves a great breakfast. They also have a special on pizza. I think that starts at 11:00, but I'm not sure. Fresco is the restaurant by the pool at the resort. I just read that they have stopped serving at lunch but you can order food for lunch at the bar. They often have theme dinners at night. I hear that Italian night is very good, and plan to try it on our next visit. We did go to the beach barbecue and loved it. They set up a buffet on the beach, which your kids might enjoy.

Your kids might like Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar and Iquana Joe's for dinner. Both serve very casual meals. Also, check out the menu and Pinchos and see if there is something that they would like. It is about a 15 minute walk from Renaissance, a little more pricey, but not terribly so. We love West Deck, and often eat there twice.

I wouldn't take the bus to Lings. You would still have a fairly long walk from the bus stop. A taxi is cheap and quick.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want more Aruban style food, check out Cocoplum, Suikertuin or Peanuts. If you want to indulge, you could eat at Yemanja or Barefoot (on the beach). Great pastechi’s just around the corner at the Pastechi House.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

Peanuts

Interesting that you mentioned Peanuts, my wife and I have dined there many times, more locals than tourists. For those of you from New England, I compare it to Friendly's with a liquor license. Relatively inexpensive, we have always enjoyed a meal there!
    0 1