This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restaurant Shaming and Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Restaurant Shaming and Reviews

I recently was talking with a gentleman who was restaurant shamed for their review of a pretty casual, family-friendly dining choice and it got me thinking. First, why do others feel the need to belittle people's choices on how they spend their money and vacation time? Second, do you hesitate to review certain places or add to your trip report because you think people will be judgmental or respond with mean or belittling comments?

I hope no one feels that way on this forum or any other. How you spend your money and what you enjoy is your own opinion and each opinion should be valued. I can relate to some of your choices and others, well I love to read about because its not something I will ever personally experience. Keep those reviews and trip reports coming - with all types of opinions. You never know when a reader has the same taste and style as you, even if they don't comment.

Our style is pretty casual in Aruba, we don't put a lot of focus on fine-dining because we live close enough to the city to get those experiences at home. It's nothing for us to have bar bites or appetizers for dinner for the first couple days. We love a certain restaurant that a lot of people don't. There are some popular, nicer spots that we tried and won't return to. But all reviews are subjective, we can disagree without shaming. For us, we wouldn't return to the same few restaurants over and over without throwing new ones in the mix because I like to try new things, but other people have found their comfort zone and favorites. I hope people continue to right reviews on ALL of their personal preferences. We all have different styles and budgets. One of the funniest reviews on this forum was of a trip to McDonalds. So whether its a stop at a fast food place on the way to the beach, or a unique or a first class dining experience - keep those reviews and reports coming!!!
    Always planning our next trip
    2 4

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel we’re fortunate on this forum as it’s not too often that that type of negativity comes into play. I’ve seen it on other forums and it’s not pretty. Our tastebuds are all different as are our preferred dining atmospheres. I could say I find a place like Ricardo’s to be romantic while someone else may say oh no it would have to be Wilhemenia. I’m okay with differing opinions.

One thing i think people people may not agree with are negative reviews on their favorite spot. For me, it hasn’t been often that I felt the need to write a negative review. If I experience rudeness though all bets are off.

One last thought; oftentimes the written word may not read the way the poster intended.
    1 3

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like that here, folks can disagree without shaming, ridicule, innuendo and snarkism. (is that a word ? )
    All opinions are valued.

We all are individuals...with different needs and different tastes and different wants.

The folks that do shame others really have issues that are beyond our control or concern.
    They are the folks with deep seeded issues.
    As another friend told me earlier, she has become a duck........lets it all run off her back.
    Some of us are not so "duck-like" and mean words do hurt many.

As soon as I can get to the computer, I will do some research and find that McDonalds "restaurant review".
    I will post it.......make sure that your bladder is empty.
    It is VERY funny...not snarky or mean.

As Peg mentioned the written word sometimes takes on a whole meaning .......and maybe not intended.
    We cannot identify tone or sarcasm often.
    Often times though, meanness, ridicule, hate is very obvious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the link to the McDonalds review: McDonald's Seroe Blanco - November 2016
    0 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    one of the best postings ever!
    I am going to have to find and post the "inlaw thread"

now back to our regular line up.........restaurant shaming
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Here is the link to the McDonalds review: McDonald's Seroe Blanco - November 2016
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 04-14-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was so funny.

I wish people would realize that their choices in dining are not everyone's choice. Everyone's experience is different at a particular food establishment differs. Both hubby and I are honest in reviews(his opinion and mine may differ). Only once did a write a negative review on TA about a place in St. Maarten did I get a unpleasant comment from the owner who wanted me to take down my review and I refused-there were several negative recent reviews and he was afraid it would effect his business.

If you go onto TA, or Yelp you will see a variety of reviews for the same place and you don't know who your ideas are mostly closely tied.

There is that saying about opinions, but I don't know if I can use that word on here.

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post

I really miss seeing act’s posts. It’s been ages!
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I really miss seeing act’s posts. It’s been ages!
    Me too! I have contact with him occasionally and always try to get him to return to posting.
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    one of the things about aruba is much variety in dining choices.

there is fast food, casual, family, fine and much more all in-between.

the last thing I want to do when in aruba is "fine dining"
    after a long day at the beach I am more than happy to sit and enjoy a seafood dinner or a salad and chicken at a casual or family friendly or someplace else.
    the Wendys baked potatoes were a godsend a few years ago when I a terrible GI bug.
    fine dining for me in aruba is usually once per visit.
    however, what works for me may not work for you and that is good.
    variety is the spice of life.....or so they say

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post Tracey as well as the replies. I sometimes feel as though (some folks) put down "all inclusive resorts" which I do not enjoy reading. I have for this reason not posted as much as I feel I do not have much to offer. I sometimes feel all inclusive is thought as "cheap" and believe me it really isn't, I think some people would be surprised at how much we spend for our resort and airfare. I love all inclusive for a lot of different reasons, to each their own. We usually go to a nice restaurant or 2 per visit as well as activities and different places for happy hour, not to mention visit downtown. I feel we contribute to Aruba's economy while still staying at an AI resort. The majority of folks are great but every now and then I read a post of why would you ever do all inclusive when their are so many great restaurants. Not everyone goes on vacation to eat (lol) at fancy restautrants.

1 6