This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: White Asparagus

Post Thanks / Like

White Asparagus

I've read discussions on this forum over the years about white asparagus season in Aruba. I've never had it but saw this ad from Madame Jeannette on Face Book today. Hmmm maybe it's time for me to try it!

I can't seem to put together a Rest list for my next trip as in other years. Covid has spoiled me since last trip. Being that resort was quite empty I was quite happy staying at resort, eating finger foods etc.

Here is the MJ link Ad.https://www.facebook.com/MadameJanette/
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s that time of the year again, white asparagus season! I wonder if MJ’s will have more specials using it. In the past, they would have a number of choices. One year they offered a phenomenal pasta dish with chicken, white asparagus and penne in a garlic cream sauce. When at the Manchebo, the manager said that only a limited number of restaurants get the asparagus and there is some kind of application process. Bavaria offered it as a side dish with hollandaise sauce. I had it with the chicken cordon bleu and it paired perfectly. You should definitely try it!!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I was shopping in a grocery store here in Jersey and saw white asparagus. I thought of the “white asparagus” discussion here on the forum over the years and thought “yup, it must be May”. Curious if there is really a difference. The green was $2.99lb and the white $5.99lb. I do indulge in Cotton Candy grapes when I see them so I don’t mind paying a little extra for something that is a limited availability time.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney4555 View Post
    I was shopping in a grocery store here in Jersey and saw white asparagus. I thought of the “white asparagus” discussion here on the forum over the years and thought “yup, it must be May”. Curious if there is really a difference. The green was $2.99lb and the white $5.99lb. I do indulge in Cotton Candy grapes when I see them so I don’t mind paying a little extra for something that is a limited availability time.

I find that the white asparagus we get here in the Boston area is generally from Peru. It definitely doesn’t taste the same. The white asparagus you get in Aruba in flown in from Holland. It’s referred to as Holland’s white gold. The flavor is milder than green asparagus and has almost a nutty flavor. You generally start hearing about it the first week in May and it’s only available for a few weeks.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I’m sure the white asparagus I saw in the supermarket was not from Holland, LOL. It’s probably Peruvian too! I’ll be sure to have it in Aruba if we’re ever there in May. It sounds like a delicacy!
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I buy them periodically at my Publix...........expensive, but so worth it.
    (they are from Peru or maybe Argentina)
    Our favorite way is steamed, served on top of buttered toast.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0