This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Working on the Restaurant List

  1. #1
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    4,456
    Post Thanks / Like

    Working on the Restaurant List

    With just a few weeks to go, restaurants are on my mind. A little about us - we don't like being tied to reservations and we rarely stick to our plans. Since we tend to eat dinner early, we usually don't have an issue getting in places last minute. We love fresh seafood and most of our choices will be casual. A lot of times we will do appetizers for lunch and dinner so lots of small bites means we can get in more of our favorites.

    First few days are at Manchebo and I seriously considered doing their optional all inclusive plan because they do have good restaurant options. Ultimately we decided we will just pay as we go, but I'm going to try to keep my receipts to check against the AI price for next time.
    First night - casual meal or appetizers with drinks at Pega Pega Beach Bar at Manchebo
    The next couple nights will either Chophouse or Elements if we feel like something nice, Pizza Bob's if we just want pizza, maybe sushi at the Chophouse, or possibly Asi es Mi Peru which has been on our list for a few years but we've never made it.

    While staying in the hotel with no kitchen, we will like do the little mini mart for pastechi for breakfast, or maybe Matthews - we've always had good breakfast there. I also want the quesadillas from Costa Linda for lunch one day. And even though I just named all of these ideas, it's quite possible we will eat every meal at Pega Pega.

    Saturday we are excited to try the Lion Fish Shack for lunch - they are only open Saturdays. Here is the website if anyone wants more info: http://thelionfishsnackaruba.com/

    When we move to Palm Beach:
    Pika's Corner - late lunch, early dinner type meal, local feel to it. Another one that's been on my list but we haven't made it yet.
    Atardi will most likely be our anniversary dinner
    Tango is my husband's favorite so he usually squeezes that in for a night.
    Nos Clubhuis will be a stop for sure
    Che Bar - I want to give them another try. After 2 good experiences, we had a not so good one. Since it's close to our hotel, we may go again.
    Pelican's Nest appetizers are an annual tradition for us, so that will happen.
    Surf Club chicken wings on the beach will be lunch for sure, and rotisserie chicken meal for dinner could be dinner one night. The rotisserie chicken meal from the Surf Club Captain's Galley is really an unbeatable deal - I think its $22 for the chicken and 2 sides.

    Places we want to go to but probably won't
    Oak and Taste My Aruba are both on the wish list, but because we don't like reservations I really don't see this happening.
    Jon wants to go back to Chihuahua's, but I don't know if we will fit it in, and we eat Mexican food at home regularly so I may have to veto.
    Kamini's or O'Niels in San Nicolas. If we are in the area and hungry I want to try one of these.
    0 0
     

  2. #2
    Senior Member schexc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Pearl at Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting that you mentioned the Lion Fish Shack. I just happened to see while I was looking for directions to the Ostrich Farm and thought I'd look for it. I can't tell for sure from their pictures, but it looks like it's all deep fried?

    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    With just a few weeks to go, restaurants are on my mind. A little about us - we don't like being tied to reservations and we rarely stick to our plans. Since we tend to eat dinner early, we usually don't have an issue getting in places last minute. We love fresh seafood and most of our choices will be casual. A lot of times we will do appetizers for lunch and dinner so lots of small bites means we can get in more of our favorites.

    First few days are at Manchebo and I seriously considered doing their optional all inclusive plan because they do have good restaurant options. Ultimately we decided we will just pay as we go, but I'm going to try to keep my receipts to check against the AI price for next time.
    First night - casual meal or appetizers with drinks at Pega Pega Beach Bar at Manchebo
    The next couple nights will either Chophouse or Elements if we feel like something nice, Pizza Bob's if we just want pizza, maybe sushi at the Chophouse, or possibly Asi es Mi Peru which has been on our list for a few years but we've never made it.

    While staying in the hotel with no kitchen, we will like do the little mini mart for pastechi for breakfast, or maybe Matthews - we've always had good breakfast there. I also want the quesadillas from Costa Linda for lunch one day. And even though I just named all of these ideas, it's quite possible we will eat every meal at Pega Pega.

    Saturday we are excited to try the Lion Fish Shack for lunch - they are only open Saturdays. Here is the website if anyone wants more info: http://thelionfishsnackaruba.com/

    When we move to Palm Beach:
    Pika's Corner - late lunch, early dinner type meal, local feel to it. Another one that's been on my list but we haven't made it yet.
    Atardi will most likely be our anniversary dinner
    Tango is my husband's favorite so he usually squeezes that in for a night.
    Nos Clubhuis will be a stop for sure
    Che Bar - I want to give them another try. After 2 good experiences, we had a not so good one. Since it's close to our hotel, we may go again.
    Pelican's Nest appetizers are an annual tradition for us, so that will happen.
    Surf Club chicken wings on the beach will be lunch for sure, and rotisserie chicken meal for dinner could be dinner one night. The rotisserie chicken meal from the Surf Club Captain's Galley is really an unbeatable deal - I think its $22 for the chicken and 2 sides.

    Places we want to go to but probably won't
    Oak and Taste My Aruba are both on the wish list, but because we don't like reservations I really don't see this happening.
    Jon wants to go back to Chihuahua's, but I don't know if we will fit it in, and we eat Mexican food at home regularly so I may have to veto.
    Kamini's or O'Niels in San Nicolas. If we are in the area and hungry I want to try one of these.




    OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0
     

  3. #3
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    5,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your list sounds good! We’re like you in that we rather not do reservations and tend to dine out early. I have a list but it keeps changing. You might like to try Ike’s for breakfast. You can opt for ala Carte or order off the menu. I really love their coconut French toast but will opt for the buffet when they have the cinnamon rolls made with pie crust dough. I expect we’ll run into you at one point as our days at Manchebo overlap and I’ve come to enjoy a nice Manchito st Pega Pega.

    0 1
     

  4. #4
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    4,456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Your list sounds good! We’re like you in that we rather not do reservations and tend to dine out early. I have a list but it keeps changing. You might like to try Ike’s for breakfast. You can opt for ala Carte or order off the menu. I really love their coconut French toast but will opt for the buffet when they have the cinnamon rolls made with pie crust dough. I expect we’ll run into you at one point as our days at Manchebo overlap and I’ve come to enjoy a nice Manchito st Pega Pega.
    Great tip on Ikes! Coconut french toast sounds great. I look forward to meeting you in person, Peg.
    0 1
     

  5. #5
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    4,456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    Interesting that you mentioned the Lion Fish Shack. I just happened to see while I was looking for directions to the Ostrich Farm and thought I'd look for it. I can't tell for sure from their pictures, but it looks like it's all deep fried?
    It's hard to tell, they don't give the best descriptions. I think the tacos look like the fish was pan fried, no real breading to see. Let us know if you make in there to check it out before we arrive.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 11-03-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    0 0
     

  6. #6
    Senior Member DiviDiviFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,404
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love happy hour at Pega Pega, way too many yummy frozen drinks! You may want to try Santos for a breakfast sandwich, I enjoyed my trip there last year, it is where the Dushi bagels used to be across from Alhambro.

    1 0
     

  7. #7
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    34,799
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not like making reservations either and it is hard to stick to a plan.
    My mouth is watering thinking about coconut French toast.
    0 1
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member schexc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Pearl at Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely...

    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    It's hard to tell, they don't give the best descriptions. I think the tacos look like the fish was pan fried, no real breading to see. Let us know if you make in there to check it out before we arrive.




    OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •