This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Hello everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone!

Hi! I have been going to Aruba since I was a young child. My grandmother moved to Aruba when she was 12 years old and my mom was born in Aruba. I spent a lot of my childhood summers and school vacations in Aruba (one of my fondest memories will always be that I got to stand on the Natural Bridge as a child literally the day before it fell) and now as an adult I travel to Aruba with my own family. We go about 2-3 times a year (usually around Easter and two other random times when fares are low)!

I look forward to seeing what everyone loves about Aruba and learning of any experiences my family and I have yet to experience.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    a belated welcome!

it is nice that your family has a connection with aruba and your mom is Aruban!

we are just a few weeks short of the 13th anniversary of the natural bridge collapsing.
    you were very very lucky that you were not injured or worse being on that bridge.

what brought your grandmother to aruba when she was a child? was there an affiliation with the oil refinery?
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a crazy story and shows how much time has changed because at this age I couldn't imagine someone so young doing this. My grandma came over with a wealthy family as a nanny for their children, her mother felt she would have a better opportunity going to Aruba with that family. My grandfather actually worked for standard oil back in the day and lived in a house built by them in San Nicolas and my mom has so many stories and memories of what Aruba looked like as a child. I am realizing one day I should do a video tour because she can even point out where the hospital she was born at used to be in Aruba and I want to have these memories preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    a belated welcome!

it is nice that your family has a connection with aruba and your mom is Aruban!

we are just a few weeks short of the 13th anniversary of the natural bridge collapsing.
    you were very very lucky that you were not injured or worse being on that bridge.

what brought your grandmother to aruba when she was a child? was there an affiliation with the oil refinery?
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Your story is very interesting. I look forward to hearing more.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing more
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi welcome to the forum! Nice to have you with us!

0 0

Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomnomsmom View Post
    This is a crazy story and shows how much time has changed because at this age I couldn't imagine someone so young doing this. My grandma came over with a wealthy family as a nanny for their children, her mother felt she would have a better opportunity going to Aruba with that family. My grandfather actually worked for standard oil back in the day and lived in a house built by them in San Nicolas and my mom has so many stories and memories of what Aruba looked like as a child. I am realizing one day I should do a video tour because she can even point out where the hospital she was born at used to be in Aruba and I want to have these memories preserved.
    Shouting out a Welcome as well!

Hard to believe how times were back then. Your Grandmother was a child herself when she was sent to Aruba, far away from home and being a nanny for three children. I hope she found lots of happiness in Aruba.

There is a nice collection of stories, events, photos ect how Aruba was way back then. Lots of links within that website. Enjoy!

http://www.lago-colony.com/ESSO%20NEWS%20DIRECTORY.htm
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    What an amazing story!!

Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ
    0 0