This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thread: New to Forum - Latex Allergy

New to Forum - Latex Allergy

Hi! My husband and I will be traveling to Aruba in December. I have a latex Type 1 allergy acquired from being a nurse. I would like to know if you have any information about restaurants that are latex free. The villa that we will be staying at uses latex gloves in their food prep. They said that they would be able to "accommadate" me. My allergist/immunologist said this is not a good idea. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations ? I really appreciate it!! Thank You!!

Hi Sirius777! Welcome to the forum! I can't help with your dilemma, but we have a bunch of folks in the medical field that may be able to help. Enjoy your trip!

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum.

I encourage you to post your question in the CULINARY and the WHERE TO STAY categories.

I am wondering how the villa owner/management can accommodate you?

Does latex paint have bad consequences for you too?

Does any residue from latex gloves get onto food in restaurants?

(sorry for the questions)

Hello, Thank you so much for your input ! Latex paint does not bother me. Latex gloves transfer the latex protein to everything they touch, including food utensils and counter tops. The latex proteins are sticky and adhere to everything. Latex proteins also become airborne and land on everything and can also be inhaled. Some places will try to accommodate by not using latex gloves when handling food but there is a high risk of cross contamination My immunologist/allergist warns against this, because there is still a risk of cross contamination from other latex particles floating around the kitchen. The kitchen actually has to be wiped down thoroughly to remove all traces of latex. Latex balloons are the worst, because they emit latex particles in the air, which become inhaled. I have not traveled internationally since I went into anaphylactic shock from sleeping on a latex mattress in Germany. I spent 5 days in the ICU. I have to avoid latex like the plague!
    It has always been a dream of mine to visit Aruba!! I am so excited but anxious at the same time!!

Aruba since 1979
    sounds just horrible.
    I wish you well and hope that others in the other categories can post some info for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius777 View Post
    Hello, Thank you so much for your input ! Latex paint does not bother me. Latex gloves transfer the latex protein to everything they touch, including food utensils and counter tops. The latex proteins are sticky and adhere to everything. Latex proteins also become airborne and land on everything and can also be inhaled. Some places will try to accommodate by not using latex gloves when handling food but there is a high risk of cross contamination My immunologist/allergist warns against this, because there is still a risk of cross contamination from other latex particles floating around the kitchen. The kitchen actually has to be wiped down thoroughly to remove all traces of latex. Latex balloons are the worst, because they emit latex particles in the air, which become inhaled. I have not traveled internationally since I went into anaphylactic shock from sleeping on a latex mattress in Germany. I spent 5 days in the ICU. I have to avoid latex like the plague!
    It has always been a dream of mine to visit Aruba!! I am so excited but anxious at the same time!!

Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum Sirius777!

Wow! I have heard of latex allergy and know they ask when in the hospital, but had no idea how sever it could be! Thank you for the education and good luck!

Do you typically just prepare your own meals when vacationing to be safe?
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Sirius,
    I believe you will need to contact each rest. to make sure no latex. I would not bet my life on this though. I also hope you bring plenty of Epi-pens with
    you as being in a foreign country the EMS is not like the states. Good luck.
    Next Aruba trip in [Countdown=03/19/2016@8;0am;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]