This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New here and concerned about lgbt safey on Island

Post Thanks / Like

New here and concerned about lgbt safey on Island

Hi all, I'm Anne. I have never been to Aruba and am dying to go, actually getting ready to book for sometime in 2015. My question is, altough I have read that Aruba is very friendly, would it be safe for my wife (lesbian couple) and I to stay in an "off the grid" style apartment or cottage? Out of the High Rise and Low Rise area? Thoughts? I really want super secluded and laid back for our first trip. Thoughts?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    The island is VERY relaxed... there's even a gay bar. No issues.

You might have a challenge finding something super secluded as most of the rental properties tend to be in the north of the island or around Oranjestad proper. The thing I've noticed about a lot of the residential areas that we've rented villas in (all in Noord - the north part of the island) is that privacy has never been a concern... most of the homes have high walls and there doesn't seem to be a lot of permanent residents in the area (i.e. a lot of vacation homes).

Anyway, you'll need a car if you find something secluded... most services tend to be around the city and tourist areas. Good luck!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about getting a rental. The whole island is soo beautiful but I love the ability to be in the middle of the fun, and then all alone at a moment's notice. I'm from a very busy city where diversity isn't plentiful, so I worry if we are in a secluded area that we won'e be safe. Thank you so much
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum.
    i think that an apartment or cottage like or villa kind of place would be perfectly safe.

a few spots come to mind:

Paradera Park APartments ; Bananas Apartments; Surfside Apartments; Club Arias and i am drawing a BLANK thinking of the place at the roundabout across from the Ritz (a lovely property!)

Quote Originally Posted by readyforaruba View Post
    Hi all, I'm Anne. I have never been to Aruba and am dying to go, actually getting ready to book for sometime in 2015. My question is, altough I have read that Aruba is very friendly, would it be safe for my wife (lesbian couple) and I to stay in an "off the grid" style apartment or cottage? Out of the High Rise and Low Rise area? Thoughts? I really want super secluded and laid back for our first trip. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. I agree Aruba is pretty laid back and while I know you are looking for a private rental, you would be happy at any of the resorts.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank u Andrea and Pegmeister. I LOVE the resorts, and was looking at DiviAI but, i can't eat out every day crohns, i really need to be able to prepare the majority of my meals...i would love nothing more than to eat out 3 meals a day for 14 days, my system won't tolerate that and my wife is lactose free so we really have special diet needs that a kitchen would be best suited. That and silence is so appealing lol
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrea - are you thinking of that Malibu place...?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We've covered pretty much all of the island and only met friendly people. The locals can be a little reserved at first but warm up really quickly. You might want to look in Saveneta if you looking for a 'real' local experience (it's on the south end of the island). The whole island has a "live and let live" vibe. There's also a lot of European (i.e. Dutch) influence so discrimination is looked down upon. It's all good.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    We've covered pretty much all of the island and only met friendly people. The locals can be a little reserved at first but warm up really quickly. You might want to look in Saveneta if you looking for a 'real' local experience (it's on the south end of the island). The whole island has a "live and let live" vibe. There's also a lot of European (i.e. Dutch) influence so discrimination is looked down upon. It's all good.
    <3 thank you so much, safety is the only thing holding me back from booking but am already feeling better.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    and i am drawing a BLANK thinking of the place at the roundabout across from the Ritz (a lovely property!)
    Boardwalk???