This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Newbies to aruba

  1. #1
    Member Lakeh2o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Newbies to aruba

    My husband and I will be celebrating our ten year anniversary in aruba in May. We are staying at the Riu Antillas. I have read mixed reviews on the resort, but we are going into it open minded with no expectations. We need a beach, booze, bed and food. I can't wait to experience the island, as we have only been to Jamaica.

    -Kari
    0 0
     

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    33,612
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

    the riu is a locely property.
    you will not be disappointed.

    for the price that you are paying you MUST have expectations.

    aruba vs jamica : neiman marcus vs walmart

    or apples vs oranges

    make sure that you take a tour and see some of the island.
    it is beautiful and safe and the people are cordial and kind and APPRECIATIVE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeh2o View Post
    My husband and I will be celebrating our ten year anniversary in aruba in May. We are staying at the Riu Antillas. I have read mixed reviews on the resort, but we are going into it open minded with no expectations. We need a beach, booze, bed and food. I can't wait to experience the island, as we have only been to Jamaica.

    -Kari

  3. #3
    Member Lakeh2o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha ha...I suppose I do have some expectations. Some of the reviews are just ridiculous and nit pick everything, so we are going open minded to make our own opinion on the resort. We do plan on doing one of the jeep tours. We haven't determined how long of a tour to take. I'm leaning towards the day trip..I want to see as much as I can. I have been enjoying all of the information that everyone has already posted. Thanks in advance for the information!!!
    0 0
     

  4. #4
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    4,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeh2o View Post
    Ha ha...I suppose I do have some expectations. Some of the reviews are just ridiculous and nit pick everything, so we are going open minded to make our own opinion on the resort. We do plan on doing one of the jeep tours. We haven't determined how long of a tour to take. I'm leaning towards the day trip..I want to see as much as I can. I have been enjoying all of the information that everyone has already posted. Thanks in advance for the information!!!
    We did a full day Jeep tour with ABC tours and at the end of the day I wish that we would have done a shorter tour. Our guide was great, and we got to see so many sites, but it was a long, hot, and dirty day riding in the jeeps. I wouldn't do a full day tour again, even if it meant missing out on a few things, or saving them for your next visit.
    Always planning our next trip
    0 0
     

  5. #5
    Member Lakeh2o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We did a full day Jeep tour with ABC tours and at the end of the day I wish that we would have done a shorter tour. Our guide was great, and we got to see so many sites, but it was a long, hot, and dirty day riding in the jeeps. I wouldn't do a full day tour again, even if it meant missing out on a few things, or saving them for your next visit.
    Thanks for the tip! My husband wasn't sure he wanted to do a full day. Will definitely take this into consideration.
    0 0
     

  6. #6
    Senior Member cindyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Posts
    5,695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every place ace is good in Aruba!! You will be an Aruba Lover soooooon!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeh2o View Post
    My husband and I will be celebrating our ten year anniversary in aruba in May. We are staying at the Riu Antillas. I have read mixed reviews on the resort, but we are going into it open minded with no expectations. We need a beach, booze, bed and food. I can't wait to experience the island, as we have only been to Jamaica.

    -Kari
    0 1
     

  7. #7
    Senior Member kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    palm beach, mangel halto for snorkling
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have talked to a lot of people staying at the riu and the only complaint I have heard is that the beds were hard and that was at the riu Palace. You are staying at the Antillas Bld and I have only heard good things about that place. Enjoy!!!!
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Alex at arubabob@live.com or call Alex local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 53rd trip Dec 5, 2018.
    0 0
     

  8. #8
    Member Lakeh2o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kent View Post
    I have talked to a lot of people staying at the riu and the only complaint I have heard is that the beds were hard and that was at the riu Palace. You are staying at the Antillas Bld and I have only heard good things about that place. Enjoy!!!!
    Thanks for the info!!!


    0 0
     

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Jacki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on booking a great island vacation! I'm sure you will fall in love like the rest of us have
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ
    0 1
     

  10. #10
    Senior Member arubabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Posts
    1,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeh2o View Post
    My husband and I will be celebrating our ten year anniversary in aruba in May. We are staying at the Riu Antillas. I have read mixed reviews on the resort, but we are going into it open minded with no expectations. We need a beach, booze, bed and food. I can't wait to experience the island, as we have only been to Jamaica. Kari
    You will have a great beach, plenty of food and booze and a bed. Don't know exactly what has been done to the building but we stayed there several times when it was the Wyndham and the Westin. They had a great pool and beach bar then. Nice casino too. Will have to check it out when we get to Aruba in May. RIU is pretty snotty about people coming there that are not staying there though.
    0 0
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •