This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 89

Thread: Ace Trip 12/15 to 12/22

  1. #1
    Senior Member ArubaAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Malmok Beach, Eagle Beach.
    Posts
    1,621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Ace Trip 12/15 to 12/22

    Ok are you guys hungry for a new trip report?

    Leaving tomorrow morning solo and I really need this trip as I am burnt out with work, nursing Ms Daisy for the past 3 months but all worth it. Ms Daisy is much better but will probably never be the same with the advanced arthritis that caught up to her. She woke up in good spirits this morning, no pains and she wanted to walk down the flight of stairs with assistance which she has done half way with a therapist over the months but then the next day she is in pain and wheel chair bound. So my brother and I gently pushed her down 24 steps on a wheel chair which she was strapped into. We made it outside safely and got her in the SUV. She has not been outdoors since she was released from rehab/nursing facility 10/21 almost 2 months now but she sure has come a long way. She can now stand on her own, walk with a walker, get up from wheel chair. One day she went to the kitchen with the walker on her own to boil some potatoes. When she exited the kitchen she forgot all about the walker. When she was near the sofa her legs started to wobble and tremble. This is when she realized that she mistakenly had walked without the walker. This was scary and dangerous but also shows the improvements she made. At the nursing home she was either in bed all day or on a wheel chair and everything was done for her. Now she can get up, walk with walker to bathroom, clean herself, change herself, bath herself etc.

    A remarkable improvement which we weren't expecting but appreciate very much. I still don't have a home attendant even though she was approved by Medicaid and I chose a MLTC that approved 7 days a week of home care, 5 hours a day. We are waiting for Medicaid to update the paperwork approval but they are tied up with year end recertifications so it might not be until Feb when I get the home attendant. I started the process of applying for a home attendant Oct 22nd the first business day from when she was home.

    Sorry this is a trip report and I started off topic but I haven't left yet! LOL

    To get to the point, Ms Daisy will be spending time in Upstate NY at my brother's house this weekend. My brother will come back to my apartment during the week since his job is in NYC and Ms Daisy will remain in upstate with my sister in law who used to work in a nursing home as a nurse aide so she is in good hands. My niece is also a trained nurse aide so plenty of help for Ms Daisy and this puts me at ease so I can travel tomorrow and reboot.

    I'm all packed and my journey to Aruba begins tomorrow.


    0 0
     

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    33,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ms Daisy has been to hell and back with the arthritis and now the situation with a home health aid is frustrating!
    Please tell her that we all wish her well and I always remember her in my prayers.

    Have a wonderful trip Ace.
    You deserve to have some fun and rest.

    Looking forward to reading your Aruba story.
    Remember.....if you get a chance ALFIES and OLD DIRTY BIRD TACOS!!

    Have a safe flight.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Ok are you guys hungry for a new trip report?

    Leaving tomorrow morning solo and I really need this trip as I am burnt out with work, nursing Ms Daisy for the past 3 months but all worth it. Ms Daisy is much better but will probably never be the same with the advanced arthritis that caught up to her. She woke up in good spirits this morning, no pains and she wanted to walk down the flight of stairs with assistance which she has done half way with a therapist over the months but then the next day she is in pain and wheel chair bound. So my brother and I gently pushed her down 24 steps on a wheel chair which she was strapped into. We made it outside safely and got her in the SUV. She has not been outdoors since she was released from rehab/nursing facility 10/21 almost 2 months now but she sure has come a long way. She can now stand on her own, walk with a walker, get up from wheel chair. One day she went to the kitchen with the walker on her own to boil some potatoes. When she exited the kitchen she forgot all about the walker. When she was near the sofa her legs started to wobble and tremble. This is when she realized that she mistakenly had walked without the walker. This was scary and dangerous but also shows the improvements she made. At the nursing home she was either in bed all day or on a wheel chair and everything was done for her. Now she can get up, walk with walker to bathroom, clean herself, change herself, bath herself etc.

    A remarkable improvement which we weren't expecting but appreciate very much. I still don't have a home attendant even though she was approved by Medicaid and I chose a MLTC that approved 7 days a week of home care, 5 hours a day. We are waiting for Medicaid to update the paperwork approval but they are tied up with year end recertifications so it might not be until Feb when I get the home attendant. I started the process of applying for a home attendant Oct 22nd the first business day from when she was home.

    Sorry this is a trip report and I started off topic but I haven't left yet! LOL

    To get to the point, Ms Daisy will be spending time in Upstate NY at my brother's house this weekend. My brother will come back to my apartment during the week since his job is in NYC and Ms Daisy will remain in upstate with my sister in law who used to work in a nursing home as a nurse aide so she is in good hands. My niece is also a trained nurse aide so plenty of help for Ms Daisy and this puts me at ease so I can travel tomorrow and reboot.

    I'm all packed and my journey to Aruba begins tomorrow.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    5,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful update on Ms Daisy. She is so fortunate to have so much support. It will be nice for you to have a break for yourself especially knowing she will be in good hands. Enjoy and have fun!
    0 0
     

  4. #4
    Senior Member ArubaAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Malmok Beach, Eagle Beach.
    Posts
    1,621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Ms Daisy has been to hell and back with the arthritis and now the situation with a home health aid is frustrating!
    Please tell her that we all wish her well and I always remember her in my prayers.

    Have a wonderful trip Ace.
    You deserve to have some fun and rest.

    Looking forward to reading your Aruba story.
    Remember.....if you get a chance ALFIES and OLD DIRTY BIRD TACOS!!

    Have a safe flight.
    Thanks! I thought local store was the spot for a burger?


    0 0
     

  5. #5
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    33,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    local store gets great reviews for burgers (and Paul and I give it a thumbs up too)
    however Alfies up across from Hooters is getting some good reviews too!

    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Thanks! I thought local store was the spot for a burger?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    4,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you staying this trip, Ace?
    Always planning our next trip
    0 0
     

  7. #7
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    4,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Safe trip Ace and glad Ms Daisy is in good hands. Really frustrating how long Medicaid takes to get things done.... but I guess that's typical of government agencies.
    0 0
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Posts
    2,503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have fun. My friends went to Alfie's last nite and loved it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania
    Posts
    1,775
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have a safe flight and enjoy Aruba.




    0 0
     

  10. #10
    Senior Member ArubaAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Malmok Beach, Eagle Beach.
    Posts
    1,621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Day 1, 12/15. Got up at 5am and left the house at 6:45am. Got to airport at 7:15am did the curb side check in real quick for 3 bucks and since I had jet blue extra leg room, walked thru expedited security. I was hungry so I went to this boards head sandwich counter Jet Blue has at the airport and got a turkey wrap and coffee. Sat down at a table and enjoyed breakfast. Got to gate around 815am and they started boarding early 837am. The flight left on time at 920am and we arrived in Aruba at 250pm 15 minutes early. However,our gate was occupied so we had to wait 20 minutes on the tarmac. When I got to custom there were a lot of people there from other flights so I figured I would be there 30 minutes. Then this lady told one of the officers that she filled out the form online so they let her go to the self check in. I stated me too so they let me go as well. Took 5 minutes. The luggage was about 20 minutes but I went and got a bottle of Bacardi Oakheart. I arrived at the Divi Phoenix at 4pm. Check in was a breeze 10 minutes. They gave me a 1 bedroom suite on the 11th floor. Wow the views from this room is incredible. The room is quite large too,king size bed,full kitchen,large balcony. I'm loving this resort.

    I unpacked pretty quick on account that I packed very light. I was able to fit everything in my cylinder garmet bag and my carry on no suit case. For dinner, I really didn't feel like going out so I went to the deli around 6pm in the lobby to get a sandwich but they stop making them at 5pm. I ended up eating a cheddar burger at their pool bar. I know I know Alfies versus Local Store and I go to Pure Beach for a burger. It was actually quite good,filling with fries chased with 2 Balashi draft. Afterwards I went to the deli to get a cheese cake to go with a small coffee. They have gelato as well and also serve breakfast starting at 6am. I ate my dessert on the balcony and it is such a wonderful night a really nice cool breeze. Next I'm gonna have a Bacard Oakheart on the rock on the balcony and probably watch a movie afterwards.

    So that concludes my first lazy day in Aruba...


    0 0
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •