This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aruba we are finally back!

Post Thanks / Like

Aruba we are finally back!

Figured I'd start my trip report after being in a few days, and finally in full relaxation mode. Week 1 is at Azure as a test drive since we are thinking of eventually buying their and week 2 is at our favorite resort here Bucuti!
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Saturday was our travel day. Direct flight from BWI went without any real hitches. Flight was I'd say at about 80% capacity. We flew southwest and paid for the upgrade so we were in group A. Got the two seater in the exit row. Was nice to not be next to anyone but my wife.

Took a little time to get our rental car at Thrifty, I'd say about a 30 minute wait. They upgraded the size of our car since they were out of the smallest size. Car is nice enough, doesn't smell like smoke, and the AC works which is all I cared about.

We arrived at Azure and they did a great job checking us in very quickly. We rented a one bedroom and is very nice. Great view of the ocean!

Sadly an hour or so into our visit the power and water went out. This was the last thing we needed after just arriving.

We had planned to eat in the room, but quickly went to the concierge to try for a last second dinner reservation. She booked us a table at Quinta del Carmen who at the time still had power.

We quickly drove over to Quinta del Carmen. We were the first guests there, and ordered from their tapas menu. We got our first round of food and was excellent, but then we're informed they also just lost power. They had to turn people away at this point, but were so nice to keep serving us. The kitchen had some gas left and was cooking under flashlights.

We really appreciated their hospitality. Food was excellent. If you like to try a bunch of things their tapas menu is the way to go. We couldn't pay the bill due to no electricity, but made a reservation for the next day to have their full menu.

We returned to no power at Azure still, but were lucky enough to have it return at 11:30 at night. Some people said at their houses it didn't come back on until about 5 am!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Sunday we got up pretty early and decided to walk on the path near the ocean to see how bad a walk to Eagle Beach was. Super easy walk to Eagle Beach and the path will be perfect to walk our dog if we ever buy here!

We decided to try Diana's Pancakes for the first time. We are huge Dutch pancake fans and really loved theirs. We plan to go back this trip for sure. I recommend ham and cheese. But I'm a sucker for savory. They have tons of sweet options too.

During the day we just unpacked a bit and sat on the porch staring at the ocean with some drinks. Hard to beat this view. Also, we are loving how quiet it is at Azure compared to a resort. No loud music at the pools, and even at the fullest I'd say I've seen maybe 10 people in the pools at a time. Just our speed!

Dinner at Quinta del Carmen was excellent as always. And with power this time The full menu is always great. I had a great dish that was grouper, shrimp, and smoked salmon with some au gratin. Really delicious. It is also cool how their building is a historic house. I really like this place.
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Monday morning I gave Angela from on here a call since she is here the same time we are. She told me all sorts of great things about the property and mentioned that the high rises is another great walk. Really appreciate all the great info! Cool to hear from a happy owner!

We waited for our Super Food delivery. This service is amazing. They had all but one item and the few substitutions they made were perfect. I hope they keep delivery for the sheer convenience as we don't plan to own a car here.

We took the high rise walk which was really cool, and then ordered from the Poke restaurant at Azure for lunch. It was excellent. Both their Poke and Bao Buns were great!

Dinner was at Faro Blanco by the lighthouse for some amazing views of the island and sunset. Solid Italian food as always. If you haven't tried their shrimp crepe appetizer, I highly recommend it!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Tuesday we tried Dushi Bagels for breakfast. Excellent bagel sandwiches I felt!

We checked out some two bedroom units at Azure although we found out they are sold out. We really liked the two bedroom units and it would be more than enough space for the two of us and the fur baby. We are in no rush, but hope some used ones start popping up sooner than later.

For lunch we ate at the high rises. I had a great chicken gyro from a little Greek joint. Really great gyro! We got a table at a bar for a few drinks, and tried the Balashi Mango beer. That beer is right up my alley. Nothing will beat Hopi Stout for me, but this was a great island beer for me.

We checked out the little beach here at Azure. It was just my style. Empty beach, calm water, and easy to stand in. It is all I'd need to get my occasional beach fix if I lived here. Nothing fancy but again empty and quiet which is what I like.

Dinner was a new one for us. Papiamento Restaurant which has all of its seating around a pool. Much like Quinta del Carmen it is a converted old house. The menu is amazingly extensive. And both food and service were excellent. I tried one of their grilled dishes that comes out on a hot stone. It was fish and shrimp and both really good. We are going to try to come back here this trip if we can since so much in the menu to try!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Wednesday we had an early breakfast at Passions On the Beach. Such a quick walk for us. A great breakfast and service was so quick. Hard to beat a convenient breakfast where you can sit on the beach. Another selling point for living at Azure for me!

We then decided to check out Baby Beach for the first time. 40 minute drive but well worth it! Beautiful water that was nice and calm and I could easily stand in. I spotted some cool tropical fish and my wife saw a ton while snorkeling.

We just ate some food we packed at the beach and then used our kitchen at Azure for dinner to see what that would be like. We need to get used to not cooking with gas, but all in all a good kitchen.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoying your posts! Nice to hear about the restaurants you’ve gone to and glad you are enjoying your stay!

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoyed your report and look forward to the next installment ! Yup, power outages are not fun! Let's hope there are no more!
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing your trip and your meals sound great. When do you move to Bucuti?

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Thanks for sharing your trip and your meals sound great. When do you move to Bucuti?
    Saturday! We can't wait to be back there. It has been 1.5 years since we were at Bucuti or Aruba for that matter. Such an amazing resort!
    1 0