This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Back to Aruba - Finally!

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds wonderful! I love TOF and Local Store. We dined at Terrazza twice this past trip and told the kids they have to try it.

How is the noise from the condo next to yours? Did they restart the construction?

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    It sounds wonderful! I love TOF and Local Store. We dined at Terrazza twice this past trip and told the kids they have to try it.

How is the noise from the condo next to yours? Did they restart the construction?
    I am delighted to report they have not restarted construction! So far so good! Thanks for the heads up though!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw my friend off to the airport and now have three more days to do as I please. And, I seriously don't know how married women do it; after five days of hanging out with a man pretty much nonstop, I am beyond delighted to have my own space.

Even though he is not a sun and beach guy (he didn't even pack swim trunks and pretty much hung out indoors most of the time due to his family's high propensity for skin cancer), he is looking forward to returning. He insists he will never do a connecting flight however (that travel day was *so* painful); so the only option would be Sun Country which doesn't fly past April 15 and has a reputation for abandoning their customers in foreign lands. I may let him try that, but I'm sticking to Delta. Yes, it is an ordeal, but at least they're dependable about getting people home (for the most part).

Here's an important observation I didn't mention earlier: It was absolutely no big deal to get into Aruba: I did a lot of fretting for nothing. I tested positive a month ago but uploaded my positive PCR test from then, and made printed copies of that and my ED card info; there was no issue. They glanced at the results and waved me on. And, we went over to the hospital for the PCR test for my friend to leave the country. Be sure to download the Aruba Healthapp to your phone before you go; he didn't and it was a bit of a rigmarole. But he got his results within eight hours.

For his final evening here, we went to Fred Restaurant and I am happy to report that it lived up to the hype. This is one we will definitely be returning to if we are lucky enough to visit Aruba again. In fact, my friend recommended that we should make the reservation there first, then schedule the flight and accommodations around that. That's how much he enjoyed it. Their tenderloin topped with truffle ravioli is probably the best dish I've ever eaten and, before this, I despised truffles. And they served a spectacular mustard soup which I am going to attempt making upon my return home; apparently it's a popular dish in Holland and Belgium. Just as important as the food was the ambiance - very warm and welcoming; it was a nice contrast from other tasting tables which have sometimes leaned toward being a tad snooty.

After dropping my friend off at the airport, I made my second and final trip to the Donkey Sanctuary. I love those critters and if you bring lots of carrots, you'll be their best friend. I recommend at least two bags. They also have cats, and had I known, I would have loaded up on kitty treats (I am missing my kitties at home). The good news is you can buy a can of Friskies there (which I did ) for $1.50 and give them a snack. They gobbled it right up (unlike my spoiled little princes back in the states).

I am quite proud of myself for getting there and back without incident. If I can drive in Aruba, anyone can.

Tonight, as I was wandering home from Terraza Italiana, I caught an excellent guitarist (Ernesto Ferro) at Las Ramblas - such a treat for those of us starved for live music at home. He is a world-class musician.

So in just about every way, Aruba has been a treat to the senses and the spirit.
    Last edited by ideastowords; 04-21-2021 at 11:49 PM.
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your 2nd sentence...................I KNOW.

I am so glad that your vacation turned into a wonderful experience.
    After that arrival day posting, I seriously was thinking "uhh ohh, this is a nightmare."

Your description of Fred is fabulous.
    Someday Paul and I will go there, but we just cannot do a loooong dining experience.
    We, especially me, get real antsy during extended dinners.

I hope that your last few days on Aruba are great.

Thank you for sharing your time with all of us.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?
    Karma...It is pronounced "HaHaHaHa"
    SIDTM

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    So glad to see you are happy!

1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I am loving your trip report!!

Enjoy your last few days!
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Your 2nd sentence...................I KNOW.

I am so glad that your vacation turned into a wonderful experience.
    After that arrival day posting, I seriously was thinking "uhh ohh, this is a nightmare."

Your description of Fred is fabulous.
    Someday Paul and I will go there, but we just cannot do a loooong dining experience.
    We, especially me, get real antsy during extended dinners.

I hope that your last few days on Aruba are great.

Thank you for sharing your time with all of us.
    Thank you for reading my ramblings. I feel like I'm doing so much more this trip and am pretty worn out by the end of the day to write properly.

If you can't handle long dinners, I would recommend Fred over any tasting table because they have two breaks in their meals so they can prepare the next courses. Diners use that time to sip wine and visit. The time goes by pretty quickly.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement!
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    So glad to see you are happy!
    Thank you so much! Construction began today on the unit above me, by the way. Lots of pounding, but I am just grateful Jerry went home as he spent most of his time indoors. I tried to be outside as much as possible (and it shows).
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bhoffdhoff View Post
    I am loving your trip report!!

Enjoy your last few days!
    I am so glad and I will! Thank you!!!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was my first day fully on my own and it was glorious. I probably spent waaaay too much time in the sun but I need to get it all in being from the cold, dark North. I am loving the huge, mostly empty pools at Oceania. I spent hours floating in them today; they're a nice change from the wind and sand on the beach. Though I did spend a couple of hours there as well. If that was all I did in Aruba, I would be completely satisfied. But it's my nature to try to experience as much as I possibly can, it's something I have to dial back so I don't end up completely exhausted.

Tonight I dined at Asi Es Mi Peru. It was spectacular; I have never tasted Peruvian food before. The portions were ridiculously generous too. Definitely the place to go to if you want dinner and lunch the next day (and probably a snack to boot). I am going back within the next 48 hours. What was super special is that on the way over, it appears I lost my credit card. The hostess/owner called the front desk to alert them in case someone found it on the grounds. Their concern impressed me. (I packed two extra cards just in case. But I haven't seen any rogue charges on my account so I'm hoping it turns up.)

At this point, I am super tempted to just stick around my condo tomorrow instead of going out. So I researched restaurant delivery services but it appears choices are limited; am I missing something, though?

I love Super Foods, so that's always an option to trot over there and just get some kind of takeout. Speaking of which, I ordered groceries from them before I arrived. Some of it was a hit and some a miss. The biggest miss was cucumber salad, and I ordered a pound, of course. I mean, who could mess up cucumber salad? Alas, it had texture like seaweed - super slimy and weirdly bitter/bland. I don't know who on earth would think it's edible. The hits, however, made up for it: super tasty crab salad and the yummiest baked goods and sweet peppers stuffed with cream cheese.

I am not getting on a scale for at least a week when I return home. I had lost 20 pounds before I arrived and I am pretty sure I have gained every ounce back. But what a way to go.
    0 2