This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Brian & Ann’s return to Aruba - 3/28/21

Post Thanks / Like
    Saturday 4/3-
    We went to Linda’s Dutch Pancakes for breakfast. Another great breakfast but I didn’t pay with Bitcoin this time.
    We then stopped at the stores on the strip by Playa Linda. After getting back to the Surf Club we spent our last day of vacation on the beach. So nice and relaxing on our floats in the ocean.

I stopped by Vanessa (water sports) and reserved an Umbrella for our 8 day return in July. I know this is a bit of a splurge (paying for an umbrella with chaises) but to me it is soooo worth it to not have to get up early and “fight” for chairs at the pool or Palapas at the beach. We have a guaranteed front row spot everyday no matter what time we arrive.

For dinner, we finally made it (after all these years and at least 12 visits to Aruba to The Flying Fishbone! What a treat and a great way to spend our last night in Aruba. The setting is amazing for the sunset as well as once it gets dark and the blue floodlights in the ocean create an almost magical atmosphere. Service was top notch (with one miscue) and the drinks and the food were excellent. Dining on the sand in this laid back beautiful setting is really unlike any other experience here (yes I know there are other on beach dining venues in Aruba...we been to several). The staff graciously took photos of our group and went out of their way to assure a great dining experience. We were even sat at better tables (3 and 2) after we arrived closer to the water. The one miscue was our dessert. After our friends got their dessert and ours didn’t arrive we asked the waiter twice. After the 2nd time, when are friends were finished with dessert we told him to cancel our dessert (and save us the calories). He felt so badly that he offered to bring it anyway and not charge us. We declined as we wanted to leave by then. When the waiter brought over the check, he told us he took 10% off the entire bill as an apology for their failure on dessert. A very nice gesture and appropriate and well handled.

The drive back to the Surf Club was fine with no issues. Driving around Aruba has been very easy and convenient (out 1st time renting a car).

One other story about our car Rental from Hertz. We had reserved a full size SUV (Kia Sorento) but this vehicle was not available when we arrived. They had a slightly smaller Suzuki SUV which I took. I expressed concern over our return to the airport on Sunday with the 5 of us and our luggage (arriving wasn’t an issue as we came in on separate flights and I went back to pick up our friends when they arrived with 3 people and 3 suitcases). Carolina, at the Hertz rental counter assured me that if we needed another car to return to the airport on Sunday the 4th they would provide it from the ocean club. She called me here on Saturday and asked me what time we were planning to go the the airport on Sunday. I told her 12 noon. She said that the manager of the Ocean Club Hertz will come to meet us at noon at the Surf Club to drive some of our luggage to the airport. Wow! That’s service. The smaller car worked fine for us getting around all week.
    Brian

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Sunday 4/4-
    We’re home! Everything went smoothly and a great on time (actually about 20 min early) flight home.
    Hate leaving Aruba but it’s nice to be back home after a great trip. Looking forward to going back in about 3 months (will have to update my ticker).
    will write a more detailed report about departure day tomw.
    Brian

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Sunday 4/4- Return Home

I have to say that Hertz was great. They sent Melvin from the Ocean Club with a van, who met us in front of the Surf Club exactly at 12 noon. The Bellman put all of our luggage into the Van and we all followed him in our rental car to the airport. He dropped us off in front of the departure terminal taking out all of our luggage. He could not have been more helpful and accomodating. I then dropped off the car at Hertz just a few yards past the departure terminal and was helped by Omar. Another outstanding, helpful and pleasant employee. They are truly appreciative of our business and the fact that tourists are back in Aruba and enjoying our visits.

Getting through the "departure gauntlet" was relatively easy. We had arrived very early, knowing the lines that can form there at busy times, especially weekends. The longest line was the Aruba Immigration, while waiting outside but this was under the awnings so it wasn't too hot. Going through security, retreiveing our luggage, going through US Customs (3 of us had Global Entry and it was a breeze...get it if you don't have it), security again and getting to the gate worked out fine. We even had time to have lunch at the bar/ restaurant right next to Gate 3 which was our departure gate.
    There is a certain comfort in knowing that everyone on your flight had tested NEGATIVE, at least within the past 3 days, but still all passengers were compliant wearing masks. Our flight landed in Newark at 8:20 pm. Our daughter picked us up at the airport and we were home by 9:30 pm. All in all a very good trip home.

We will be going back in July...I think my ticker is now updated.
    Brian

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just getting caught up on the end of your trip. Thanks so much!

Coming home stinks,but at least the weather is getting better and the cherry and pear trees are blooming.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Robin, you should know...and whatever silver linings that can help us get back into life in NJ, we need to take advantage of! When do you guys go back?
    Brian

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop-pop Brian View Post
    Hey Robin, you should know...and whatever silver linings that can help us get back into life in NJ, we need to take advantage of! When do you guys go back?

Right now January 21, but if our other plans this year get cancelled, it may be sooner.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank you for your reporting!

and how cool........going again in 3 mos, with the crowd!!

there is much comfort knowing all on the flights test negative.

thanks Brian!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop-pop Brian View Post
    Sunday 4/4- Return Home

I have to say that Hertz was great. They sent Melvin from the Ocean Club with a van, who met us in front of the Surf Club exactly at 12 noon. The Bellman put all of our luggage into the Van and we all followed him in our rental car to the airport. He dropped us off in front of the departure terminal taking out all of our luggage. He could not have been more helpful and accomodating. I then dropped off the car at Hertz just a few yards past the departure terminal and was helped by Omar. Another outstanding, helpful and pleasant employee. They are truly appreciative of our business and the fact that tourists are back in Aruba and enjoying our visits.

Getting through the "departure gauntlet" was relatively easy. We had arrived very early, knowing the lines that can form there at busy times, especially weekends. The longest line was the Aruba Immigration, while waiting outside but this was under the awnings so it wasn't too hot. Going through security, retreiveing our luggage, going through US Customs (3 of us had Global Entry and it was a breeze...get it if you don't have it), security again and getting to the gate worked out fine. We even had time to have lunch at the bar/ restaurant right next to Gate 3 which was our departure gate.
    There is a certain comfort in knowing that everyone on your flight had tested NEGATIVE, at least within the past 3 days, but still all passengers were compliant wearing masks. Our flight landed in Newark at 8:20 pm. Our daughter picked us up at the airport and we were home by 9:30 pm. All in all a very good trip home.

We will be going back in July...I think my ticker is now updated.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrea, you're welcome. It was fun to capture our trip in this way for others to know what's going on in Aruba now. I appreciated all of the great info and trip reports from others here before we went. It feels like visiting Aruba is getting back to normal, which is a big relief for all of us.
    The appreciation of the people of Aruba to have us back is something that was so evident and what has always made Aruba such a special place for all of us.
    Have fun with your upcoming trip...I'm sure you will be posting great reports next month.
    Brian

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Gee, Brian, your trip reports were so interesting. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed The Flying Fishbone. I'll be looking forward to your next round of trip reports
    1 0