This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris & Gary - June 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    We continued work on house projects on Tuesday and we’re making great progress (ahead of schedule). Happy hour on our deck was Balashi Chills with cheese & pepperoni and, I'll tell you, nothing tastes better after a full day of house projects then a cold Balashi Chill! For dinner, we went to the Local Store for Bang Bang wings and Funchi fries – delicious! For dessert, we visited Gelatissimo in the Palm Beach shopping area (in front of Giannis) for some gelato. I ordered a scoop of Chocolate Baileys and a scoop of Coffee Chocolate Chip….and that quenched the fire in my mouth from the hot sauce at Local Store! We should be done with all the items on our home improvement list by end of the day today and then we’ll return to vacation days filled with beach & snorkeling.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to go to Gelatissimo to order vanilla ice cream with a shot of green cream de’menthe.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We finished up our home improvement projects so on Wednesday night it was time for a nice night out. We made arrangements to meet with some local friends for a dinner at Wacky Wahoo. While we’ve been visiting Aruba regularly for the last 15 years, this is the first time we’ve ever been able to get a reservation at Wacky Wahoo so it was a true thrill to finally be able to eat there. Our meals were absolutely delicious. We started out with ceviche as an appetizer and the preparation and flavors were truly outstanding. Their catch of the day was Barracuda, Grouper, Red Snapper & Yellow Tuna. My husband and I both selected the Barracuda. Mine was prepared blackened and my husband selected grilled and both dishes came with plantains and vegetables. For dessert the table shared coconut flan, mango/blueberry crème brulee, and a chocolate brownie topped off with chocolate ice cream & rum! I’ve always felt that getting a table at Wacky Wahoo is like the “Holy Grail” of Aruba as a reservation is always eagerly pursued or sought after by many…..but so few ever truly attain it (LOL). So you can only imagine how happy we are that our 15 year “quest” has been completed – and it was epic!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Your dinner at Wacky Wahoo sounds amazing. In past years, we were always able to get reservations a few weeks out. Love it there. Are they now taking reservations again? I read many posts that due to COVID they were not taking them???
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Our vacation in Aruba continues and, as usual, it feels like paradise here. The trade winds have been plentiful and the breeze is so cooling and relaxing. We spent the day Thursday at Boca Catalina beach and enjoyed snorkeling several times throughout the afternoon. We dined at Oak on Thursday evening and both really enjoyed our dinners. Gary ordered the coconut shrimp and I had the beef skewers with pineapple. On Friday we enjoyed another day of fun in the sun but our favorite part of the day was meeting up with some very dear friends of ours from the Forum (Aquaman & his wife). They invited us over to their home for dinner and both the meal and conversation were so enjoyable. They own a beautiful house on the island surrounded with lush gardens so it was like being in a tropical oasis for the evening.

(with regards to Wacky Wahoo ... we understand the restaurant had stopped taking long term reservations during the pandemic and were only taking reservations for a few weeks out so we think that is how we were lucky this week to find an opening in their schedule)
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    glad that you got in some great time at Boca Catalina!!

at the Oak restaurant, did you dine indoors or out?

thanks for sharing your adventures with us.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiChris View Post
    Our vacation in Aruba continues and, as usual, it feels like paradise here. The trade winds have been plentiful and the breeze is so cooling and relaxing. We spent the day Thursday at Boca Catalina beach and enjoyed snorkeling several times throughout the afternoon. We dined at Oak on Thursday evening and both really enjoyed our dinners. Gary ordered the coconut shrimp and I had the beef skewers with pineapple. On Friday we enjoyed another day of fun in the sun but our favorite part of the day was meeting up with some very dear friends of ours from the Forum (Aquaman & his wife). They invited us over to their home for dinner and both the meal and conversation were so enjoyable. They own a beautiful house on the island surrounded with lush gardens so it was like being in a tropical oasis for the evening.

(with regards to Wacky Wahoo ... we understand the restaurant had stopped taking long term reservations during the pandemic and were only taking reservations for a few weeks out so we think that is how we were lucky this week to find an opening in their schedule)
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like

Your vacation sounds amazing. So glad you are enjoying! And thanks for your response on Wacky Wahoo. We plan on eating at Oak on our next trip. Ricardo is awesome. I would also like to know if you ate indoors or outdoors since I heard the outdoors is a parking lot?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for asking about Oak. We ate indoors. We had stopped at the restaurant on the first night we were on the island (Sat night) to request the reservation for Thursday night so we think this helped to get our table inside. Oak did have many more tables set up outside than I remember from the last time we dined there. Tonight we have reservations at Pinchos in downtown Oranjestad and I'm really looking forward to it.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like

We too enjoyed your company. Today Bobbie commented that we haven't laughed so much in years as we did last night. Seemed we laughed from when you arrived until you left. A memorable evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our dinner at Pinchos Grill & Bar on Saturday night was fabulous and one of my favorites of the week. We haven’t been to Pinchos in ~2 years and they’ve made some nice updates/additions since our last visit. They've added awnings over all the dining tables to provide nice shade throughout the restaurant. They’ve also added an additional dock with a single row of tables along it so this extra dock offers a more private dining experience and the same great views (maybe even a bit better). We were lucky enough to get a table out on this new dock and that made the evening very special because the sunset was outstanding and we felt like we had a front row seat for the show (while enjoying pineapple martinis)! Gary had a veal chop with shrimp. The veal was served with a blueberry dipping sauce – delicious! I had pork stuffed with apples and boursin cheese with a side of whipped squash (which tasted like pumpkin pie), vegetables and a fruit chutney. We both enjoyed a chocolate & vanilla mouse cake for dessert. On Sunday we spent the day at Baby Beach. The entire drive from Palm Beach to Baby Beach was absolutely beautiful. One can really see the positive impact of all the improvements that Aruba is making throughout the island with the new roads, brick sidewalks, pedestrian walkways and, of course, all the beautiful artwork on the buildings throughout San Nicolas. We always enjoy driving through San Nicolas because new paintings appear on the buildings all the time (just like a gallery that is constantly rotating its artwork). While at Baby Beach we stopped in at Rum Reef (between Baby and Rodgers Beach) for lunch (based on recommendations from Walt & Pam’s trip report). The view from that restaurant is very beautiful (overlooks Baby Beach) so that was a very nice addition to the area.
    Bella Ruby - a luxury vacation home for your next tropical adventure in Aruba: www.BellaRubyAruba.com
    1 6