This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Deb and Tom Escape From Reality

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Monday, continued.

After lunch we went back to the Ocean Club to unpack. We decided to have Happy Hour in our room and watch the sunset from our Balcony. We have an ocean-facing room, and the view is amazing. Happy Hour lasted longer than we anticipated, and we were too “tired” to go out for dinner. I decided to see if they have anything like Door Dash here. They do! There is an app called
    Food AW that delivers from local restaurants. We ordered a pizza from Amore Mio and it was delivered in under 40 minutes. It arrived hot and delicious! We didn’t last much longer after that. Lights out.

This morning we had breakfast on the balcony. After that, we decided to go to the top of Hooiberg. Despite the facts that I have been perfecting my pandemic bread-making skills, we drank more than our share of lock-down wine, and the gym was closed for over three months, we bounded up the steps in one fluid motion without taking any breaks at all! (KIDDING) The view is amazing at the top, and well-worth the climb.

We headed to Arashi beach for some snorkeling, lunch, and a couple of Chills. There were far more people than we expected to see; most were locals out enjoying the day. The staff at the Arashi Beach Shack were very attentive and friendly. We weren’t planning to, but we decided to rent chairs and stay longer. The weather was perfect, and the water was more beautiful than I ever remember it. The absence of tourists slathered in chemicals has been good for the ocean. The fish were abundant and there was lots of variety, even close to shore. I hope everyone remembers to pack their reef-safe sunscreen when they come back to visit!

We returned to the OC for much-needed showers and naps.

With regard to the renovations here, they look nice as long as you don’t look closely at the details. ☹️

Post Thanks / Like
    Loving your trip reports! You're really good at it! I think I've gotten a bit of a sunburn just reading them.
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info on the delivery app. Sometimes it’s just nice to hang out on the balcony and enjoy the view. Enjoying your reports!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree - the lack of tourists and boats and gas and sunscreen have had a wonderful impact on the water and sea life!
    Loving Aruba from NJ
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for taking the time during your stay to keep us informed and entertained.

Sorry to read that the renovation detail was not up to par.

I believe that as bad as Covid 19 is, and the absolute devastation it has caused to most of the world..........it has proved wonderful for Aruba's environment.

You writings are making me want to grab my snorkel gear and get to AUA real soon.....but I gotta wait til turkey day.
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Loving your trip report! Reef safe sun screen? Was there a change on sun screens and I missed the topic?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Loving your trip report! Reef safe sun screen? Was there a change on sun screens and I missed the topic?
    Yeah we've talked about it a few times before

Reef Safe SunScreen/Block

New sunscreen ban

Sunblock and single use Plastic...banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, so happy we checked the forum and saw a live trip report. Thanks so much for treating us lurkers.
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 0

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've lost track of the days, but I guess that is what vacations are for! I will catch up on the highlights, and sadly, a little low point.

After snorkeling at Arashi, we came back to the OC for showers and a little rum punch, courtesy of Tom’s outstanding bartending skills. We then walked over to Papillon for dinner. There were a few other occupied tables, but not many. Dinner and service were both outstanding.

The sidewalk merchants along the strip were set up as if it was business as usual. Everyone appeared to be fully-stocked with the usual swag. The only things missing were the shoppers and browsers. I am so sad for these people, and I wish I could buy something from each of them.

Wednesday was diving day! I am a long-time SCUBA diver, and I always dive with the fine folks at JADS. They have been taking great care of since my beginner days many years ago. I was so excited for my first time diving on Aruba that I showed up at the shop on Baby Beach WAY too early. I didn’t know that there weren’t really any shops around that area, and I hadn’t had breakfast. JP, the owner of the shop, made me coffee and a sandwich, and I have never forgotten his kindness. The shop continues to go above and beyond with their professionalism and respect for the ocean and the island. Tom is not yet certified, so he wanted to take the introductory course. (our hope was for Tom to do the intro on St. Martin in March. If he enjoyed it, he would have completed the study and pool portions at home, and then finalize his certification on Aruba. Our luggage stayed in the closet in March....)

Tom aced the mini course and the test, and we were off to Rocky Beach. This is where the low point comes in. Tom ruptured his eardrum on the first dive. The good news is that the pain is gone, but no more swimming unless we find some earplugs somewhere. Tom did love the experience while it lasted, and he wants to give it another go some day. The visibility was outstanding, the the sea animals were abundant, and the reef was as colorful as I’ve ever experienced here.

The rest of the afternoon was spent by the pool. We were completely alone the entire afternoon.

We had dinner at Faro Blanco up by the lighthouse. For a while it seems like it was getting less-than-stellar reviews, but I have never had a bad meal there. Wednesday was no exception. The food and service were outstanding. The view is unparalleled, and a great place to watch the Aruban sunset. On many visits I have gone there just for a cocktail to watch the sunset. The bar isn’t open now, so that probably isn’t an option.

Except for the ruptured ear drum thing, it was another beautiful day in paradise.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I’m glad to hear the eardrum is better, I can imagine that was an extremely unpleasant experience, especially with no more swimming. Would he even be able to go in the water with earplugs?

0 0