This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatteras is in Aruba 1/31/20 - 2/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you had a safe arrival. Bully is our transportation as well. He is a very kind man. Good start to your first day. Look forward to hearing more.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome home! We will have to get together at some point once Sean and Susan get in I guess.

The changes on Irausquin: It is much easier and safer for us to cross the road to get to the beach. Making left turns is nice. It is hard to see the speed tables at night. They need to put different color bulbs in as a signal they are there. Making turns are tight. Driving is slower. They are working on the walkway-new lights are being put in and I saw pavers were dropped in one area. The walkway is really being used by visitors and locals.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saturday was a perfect first day in Aruba. We did absolutley nothing. We had plans to go to Ling's but couldn't tear ourselves away from the beach. Tom, my very type A energizer bunny, morphed into a beach slug, and only got out of the lounger long enough to go to the bar for lunch and a few beers. I, on the other hand, can easily go into slug mode anywhere, so no problemo following his lead on this one. We didn't even get up for 4:00 happy hour, instead opting for beach service by Costa Linda's dynamo extraordinaire server, Rossy, who hand delivered our drinks to our chairs. There was a guy with a great voice singing at the bar, and we enjoyed listening to him right from our palapa. At some point, I got up to go to the bathroom at the bar, and got caught up in the music. I stood around and sang along for a few minutes and then plopped myself down at a table so that I could continue to join in. I'm a singer in a former life, and every now and then the guy singing would glance over at me, probably wondering who this crazy old lady was that was matching him word for word on every song. I chose a table far away from the crowd so that I could loudly harmonize with him, and no one could hear me. Eventually, I figured that I should inform Tom as to where I had disappeared to , and as I expected he was sound asleep. I went back to my table, and eventually, he came up and joined me. Rossy, dynamo extraordinaire, was itching to dance, but had no takers at the bar, so I sauntered over and we made a spectacle of ourselves, dancing away to Pretty Woman. The singer came over and serenaded us while we danced. (No one else was dancing, but I'm never one to shy away from a good time).

We stayed on the beach until after sunset, went back to the room and changed, and decided to find something to eat over by Alhambra. The Cuban restaurant is gone. There have been at least three restaurants at that location so far. We ended up at Twist of Flavors. We weren't very hungry. I ordered a smoke salmon sandwich (more like salmon on top of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, with bread and sauce on the side), and Tom got an enormous BLT. The food came out quickly and was very good. I ate about half and Tom finished it up for me. We then walked over to the mini mart and picked up a few things to hold us over until we finally make it to Ling's (hopefully, Monday).

We plan another lazy beach day today. Tom will head to the bar around 4ish to claim his spot for the Super Bowl, while I go grab a shower and change. Then we will trade places so that he can get cleaned up. We'll eat and drink at the bar, and enjoy the game and festivites. Costa Linda brings in most of the staff for the Super Bowl, and they do an excellent job.
    Last edited by hatteras; 02-02-2020 at 08:11 AM.

0 5

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love it...the 2 beach slugs!

My guess is you will not make it to Lings at all.

I never knew you were a singer in your former life..............I think that might be an idea for "off topic thread"
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Twist of Flavors is one of those places where the description on the menu never seems to match what arrives at the table. It’s convenient to Manchebo so we do end up there on occasion. That said, last trip we had the most amazing cheesy mushrooms and garlic shrimp and I was glad we ended up there.

So nice that you have been able to jump into vacation mode! Glad you’re having fun

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Love it...the 2 beach slugs!

My guess is you will not make it to Lings at all.

I never knew you were a singer in your former life..............I think that might be an idea for "off topic thread"
    Yes, we'll see if we ever make it to Ling's. I used to be the female vocalist in a few bands when I was much younger, and performed in local theater, sang at weddings, etc. I gave that up years ago. I found out last June that I have an older half sister in California who is exactly like me. She still performs in theater, still sings at events. Now that is a story for it's own thread! The moral of this story is if your going to take a DNA test, prepare yourself for some shocking surprises! I never took a DNA test and had no plans to do so, but she did and after months of research, she tracked me down!

0 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Twist of Flavors is one of those places where the description on the menu never seems to match what arrives at the table. It’s convenient to Manchebo so we do end up there on occasion. That said, last trip we had the most amazing cheesy mushrooms and garlic shrimp and I was glad we ended up there.

So nice that you have been able to jump into vacation mode! Glad you’re having fun

I almost ordered the garlic shrimp. If we end up over there again, I'll give it a try.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We'r Cuba is gone? I was looking forward to trying it next trip.
    Sounds like vacation is off to a great start

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We R Cuba was still open in December and we planned on going in but the inside was no longer air conditioned. It was so hot we decided to pass on. When I told the hostess, sorry it’s just too hot she came back with a sarcastic “you’re in the tropics’ remark. It’s too bad we thought the food was good there. I still miss Hollywood Smokehouse which was one of the prior restaurants. Hopefully something good will go in.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the perfect weekend to me! Costa Linda is such a great place.
    0 1