This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatteras is in Aruba Feb 1 - 15

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like

Hatteras is in Aruba Feb 1 - 15

Good morning. We arrived safely yesterday. It was a long day, but as always, so worth it. Our first flight was delayed, but we had a two hour layover in Atlanta, so we still had time to grab a bite to eat and make it to our gate. We landed a bit early and had to sit on the tarmac for a little while, waiting for a gate. When we got to the immigration area, no one was in there, except for two workers. One was collecting the forms and the other was on the opposite side of the room, ignoring everyone. Since there weren't any agents in the booths, we were all directed to the happy flow lines. We were one of the first through the lines. All I can say about the happy flow lines is that they certainly don't leave you happy. The machine wouldn't read my passport, and there's nothing you can do because there is an enclosure on both sides that leaves you trapped inside. Apparently, nearly everyone else was having the same issue. After what seemed like forever, people started yelling at the guy on the other side of the room to come over and help us out. He strolled over, appearing very irritated, and started barking orders at everyone . About that time, mine miraculously worked, and I got through . My husband was next, and he went through the same problem. Eventually, his opened and he was let through . Once I went through, I could see that every single person at every machine was stuck. We were one of the first people off the plane, and I can't imagine how long it took everyone to get through. Believe me, there's nothing happy about the happy flow lines. We were all irritated by the time we were done. I told my hubby that the happy flow line is like an escape room. You know Aruba is on the other side, but you can't get there until you solve the puzzle.

Once we finally got out of the airport, Bully was waiting for us with a big hug, so all was good. We visited and caught up with family news until he dropped us off at Costa Linda. We quickly changed clothes and headed to happy hour. Afterwards, we sat on the beach and watched the sunset. We walked over to Pizza Bob's for our annual, first night pizza. Then it was back to the room to unpack and crash. I'd been up since 2:45 that morning.

We plan to spend the day on the beach. Tom got up before sunrise and got his front row palapa. We have no plans tonight. We are just going to relax and enjoy paradise.
    Last edited by hatteras; 02-02-2019 at 07:43 AM.

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you made it. Sounds like the airport was very frustrating. Have fun now that you guys are there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those machines in Happy Flow are temperamental! I had problems the first time we used them and boy was the guy irritated with me! Last time it worked fine.

Enjoy the beach!
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    an escape room is a perfect analogy!!

welcome to aruba and thank you so much for including us in on your "aruba story"

enjoy every moment

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice winter getaway. So no stop at airport duty free for room refreshments?

0 0

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    its become a joke between me & my husband. I get through and he always, always, always gets stuck in that happy flow line. Pizza Bob's is our first night dinner, too...

Post Thanks / Like
    So happy you are in happy Aruba. Never heard of the issues with Happy Flow Line, usually excited when I get to use it now will be wondering. Last year I was having problems but DH told me my feet were not totally on the feet painted on floorthen all was good.

Love Pizza Bob's, bet you slept great last night, first long day is usually so exhausting but as you say, totally worth it!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Nice winter getaway. So no stop at airport duty free for room refreshments?
    We usually pick up beer later at the store. We get our other drinks during happy hour because Costa Linda has 3 happy hours a day, but when they start enforcing the new sin tax, we'll be brown bagging it more often. We were told that it was supposed to start yesterday, but there were no increased taxes on our bar bill last evening.
    Last edited by hatteras; 02-02-2019 at 10:15 AM.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    its become a joke between me & my husband. I get through and he always, always, always gets stuck in that happy flow line. Pizza Bob's is our first night dinner, too...
    I hate all of this automated crap. Just give me a live person. We always wait to see who gets the sss on our boarding passes on the way back. That means that you get the special pat down and extra screening. That's always a joy too.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Frustrating way to start but you know what a wonderful relaxing time is ahead. Let us know about the new tax. Look forward to hearing all about your trip. It is cold and snowy here and will enjoy the warm weather plans. Enjoy.
    0 0