This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays at the Hilton

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    run faster

THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    1 2

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you enjoyed Bohemian! And ignore that “prize,” like everyone else said. Don’t waste your time lol

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much, everyone, for your concern about my "big prize." I was trying to be sarcastic, but, full disclosure: When we were first approached I seriously thought I won! The woman who gave us the pulltab could have been an Academy Award winner as she carried on, and brought us to her boss who said, "Yes, she is very excited because she gets $100 too, if you show up."

So, he was playing into our sympathies in addition to our greed. As he explained each prize level, I was like, "Wow! Maybe I'm in such a positive mindset here that I am attracting more positive experiences!" I mean - $700 in gambling money! Underscored with the comment: "We realize not everyone's a gambler, so you can just cash those chips in and take the money."

Then he got to the final prize...the trip discount, and my friend started laughing, "I bet we win that 'most valuable' prize!" My friend asked if he could take a photograph of the ticket, but they wouldn't allow it.

Then, we strolled to another part of Palm Beach and were approached again, the pretty young thing wasn't nearly as good of an actress as the Academy Award-winner, though. She was pretty lackadaisical when I "won big" again - the exact same prizes in the exact same order. My friend was tempted to show up to the presentation and pull a Borat-esque act where he would be obnoxious throughout noting, "Why do I want to travel? I am a consultant! I travel ALL THE TIME. I can't believe I'm even here!"

But again, I appreciate your concern.

And, I must have "Gullible Tourist" stamped on my forehead, but the way.
    Last edited by ideastowords; 12-28-2021 at 09:57 AM.
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    so many of us are "gullible travelers"

25 years ago the timeshare sellers were everywhere in Aruba.

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday was spent blowing money, or perhaps better positioned as "investing it in experiences."

I rented a front-row palapa at a price that induced much eye rolling and head-shaking on behalf of my travel companion. But, hey, I will never be staying here again and yesterday was the only day there was a front-row one available. Of course, it was sprinkling off and on - but at least it wasn't snow. And I never experienced a rainstorm in full-on sunshine before.

That evening we dined at Fred and it is every bit as good as when the original owner operated it. Apparently, the original Fred is quite the entrepreneur; he starts concepts and sells them. So it will be interesting to see what he may bring to Aruba in the future. Chef Roy is a worthy successor, and so is his charming sommelier (her name slips my mind, embarrassing - must be all of the tasty wine). At home, I am going to be googling recipes for mustard soup...it is probably the only dish that I could imitate. They used a lot of truffle, and I thought I hated truffle...it's just in the states it's truffle flavor, and not the real thing The real thing is fabulous, and it should be I suppose, considering it costs about $100 an ounce. They also flew in tenderloin from Ireland - never frozen. (Glad Europe didn't experience the flight delays the States are right now.) Lessay our bill more than covered the tenderloin's transport.

Speaking of flight delays- we're holding our breath that they won't affect our return home - but that's days away, and I wouldn't be totally heartbroken to be stuck here .

We had wonderful dining companions last night - that is part of the fun of the Fred experience, you get to meet such interesting people. Glad I live in Minnesota and not New Jersey - apparently it's super challenging to get a PCR test out East. My dining companions had to wait five hours! And then they didn't get the test results until after they arrived at the Aruba airport. I would have had a heart failure.

We also met an gastroenterologist who said Omricon may signal the end of the pandemic. He explained what typically happens is a less virulent form of the virus spreads through the population, and that's this variant.

In other Covid news - my friend had Fox on yesterday. I don't have a television at home so I rarely see network news. They had a doctor from Yale spouting off about why vaccines are unnecessary. So I looked up the doctor online to determine his specialty. It was cancer, not viruses. Huh. I want to see him debate Minnesota's own Dr. Michael Osterholm, world-renowned epidemiologist. Now that would be educational. Wonder if Fox would be willing? By the way, I would take a distemper shot if I think it would prevent me from getting or spreading Covid. And I've already had it.
    Last edited by ideastowords; 12-28-2021 at 10:43 AM.
    0 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Accidentally double posted! Sorry and thanks for following my trip.
    Last edited by ideastowords; 12-28-2021 at 10:56 AM.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m enjoying your reports! Looking forward to reading more!
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was spent lounging on my floaty in the pool and reading. It was glorious.

Confessions though: This is a shorter trip, but I do miss staying at a condo. I am not fond of having to wake up and be presentable all of the time, and it would be nice to have a washing machine, and maybe just spend the day nibbling on little treats instead of more formal breakfasts and dinners (we skip lunch because, Lord knows, neither one of us is under any threat of starvation). Furthermore, I enjoyed having an entire pool to myself and my own little hot tub. But, I did not pay for my Hilton stay (I could never afford it if I did anyway), and, again, it's only for a few days.

Tonight we dined at Papillon - early again with the hopes of getting their fixed-price early-bird menu, only to be informed that they don't serve it during the holiday season. (Then they need to not advertise it outside of their restaurant.) So we were going to have an appetizer and visit Bohemian. But then the waiter brought out the bread, which was the best we've eaten at any restaurant here, and then the appetizer - a burrata with salad and beets - the burrata was the yummiest cheese I've eaten since Italy. So, we decided to sample the lobster bisque soup - we were sharing every course. That was an incredible value at $11.25. It could easily be an entire meal for one person. And, then, the goat cheese creme brulee - sublime! I was tempted to order sweetbreads - thinking they were literally sweet bread. Thank God the waiter informed us it was lamb pancreas. I am an adventurous eater, but not *that* adventurous - so we shared the beet risotto - not as tasty as our appetizers but plentiful enough for a snack later. Then, a musician showed up and he spent at least a half hour setting up so we were curious - and decided to order dessert just to hear him perform (he was a talented keyboardist). My friend ordered the lava cake and he is not a chocolate eater but loved theirs - it wasn't so sickeningly sweet.

So, even though we were baited and switched a bit, the bait was delicious.

I am a little sad though, I have been looking forward to attending a meditation at the Butterfly Farm. I contacted them and they said I had to register. I went to the site, and it wasn't clear about how to register - so I emailed the coordinator. Never heard back. I went on the site again, and found the registration area - but they are sold out! Only 12 seats were available . I am soooo bummed. My friend says I should just show up anyway and I might. Someone might poop out. I mean, how many people want to wake up at the break of dawn during a vacation to meditate? (Well, at least 12 actually...)

Oh well, this is the ultimate first-world problem, and if it's my biggest one over the next few days, I will be an exceptionally fortunate person.
    Last edited by ideastowords; 12-28-2021 at 07:41 PM.
    0 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do wish this were the first world problem

I too would much rather stay at a condo/timeshare due to being able to be more relaxed and less presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by ideastowords View Post
    Today was spent lounging on my floaty in the pool and reading. It was glorious.

Confessions though: This is a shorter trip, but I do miss staying at a condo. I am not fond of having to wake up and be presentable all of the time, and it would be nice to have a washing machine, and maybe just spend the day nibbling on little treats instead of more formal breakfasts and dinners (we skip lunch because, Lord knows, neither one of us is under any threat of starvation). Furthermore, I enjoyed having an entire pool to myself and my own little hot tub. But, I did not pay for my Hilton stay (I could never afford it if I did anyway), and, again, it's only for a few days.

Tonight we dined at Papillon - early again with the hopes of getting their fixed-price early-bird menu, only to be informed that they don't serve it during the holiday season. (Then they need to not advertise it outside of their restaurant.) So we were going to have an appetizer and visit Bohemian. But then the waiter brought out the bread, which was the best we've eaten at any restaurant here, and then the appetizer - a burrata with salad and beets - the burrata was the yummiest cheese I've eaten since Italy. So, we decided to sample the lobster bisque soup - we were sharing every course. That was an incredible value at $11.25. It could easily be an entire meal for one person. And, then, the goat cheese creme brulee - sublime! I was tempted to order sweetbreads - thinking they were literally sweet bread. Thank God the waiter informed us it was lamb pancreas. I am an adventurous eater, but not *that* adventurous - so we share the beet risotto - not as tasty as our appetizers but plentiful enough for a snack later. Then, a musician showed up and he spent at least a half hour setting up so we were curious - and decided to order dessert just to hear him perform (he was a talented keyboardist). My friend ordered the lava cake and he is not a chocolate eater but loved theirs - it wasn't so sickeningly sweet.

So, even though we were baited and switched a bit, the bait was delicious.

I am a little sad though, I have been looking forward to attending a meditation at the Butterfly Farm. I contacted them and they said I had to register. I went to the site, and it wasn't clear about how to register - so I emailed the coordinator. Never heard back. I went on the site again, and found the registration area - but they are sold out! Only 12 seats were available . I am soooo bummed. My friend says I should just show up anyway and I might. Someone might poop out. I mean, how many people want to show up at 7:15 a.m. during a vacation to meditate?

Oh well, this is the ultimate first-world problem.

1 1