This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jen & Mike Trip Report 12/2021

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was out there most of the day, walked around a few times looking for you 2.
    We did take a 45 minute break at about noon and then back in the pool till bingo was wrapping up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen Doe View Post
    We made it! Uneventful travel yesterday. Sitting under palapa 115 this afternoon. Internet is very slow out here today, so I will likely do a more detailed post before bed.

THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Sunday 12/5: we got up at 3a to get showered and feed the dogs. Our friends, who are joining us in Aruba next week, ever so kindly drove us to the airport for our 550a flight to Atlanta. We breezed through the Madison airport, our Delta flights were running 5-10 minutes earlier than originally scheduled - yay.
    Less than an hour layover in Atlanta, so speed walked from terminal C to terminal A. The Atlanta based cousins were cutting it pretty close... still in the TSA line when we messaged them we were at the gate. We were among the last few to board the plane, but not tardy, and frankly a blessing to stand a little longer before the 4ish hour flight. Our seats were in the exit row near the boarding door. Pluses = only 2 seats across, plenty of leg room, and the ability to stand up and stretch without being in anyone's way. Minuses = no window, personal items need to go in the overhead bind 2 rows behind us, seats are narrow and unyielding to my substantial posterior (because the screens and tray tables store in the arm rests.) I am conflicted if on whether the pluses out weigh the minuses... I watched Cruella and the first 40 minutes of Free Guy. Mike re-watched a few episodes of Band of Brothers as has become his tradition.
    We landed in Aruba a little before 3p. The self-serve passport scanners only had around 20 people ahead of us, but since this was the cousins first time using their passports, I asked the rope attendant if we could go to an agent and get stamps and he waived us through :0) 4 happy stamps and vacation in paradise is official.
    The baggage claim area was the most crowded and the line to show your green check mark to exit snaked from the restrooms down to duty free and back up around the baggage claim carousels, but it moved quickly, and only one person appeared outwardly crabby about it.
    Hubert and his lovely wife were there to greet us and taxi us to La Cabana. We dropped our bags and changed into our swimsuits, scored some happy hour brown ladys from the Pata Pata bar and savored them at a table pool side. We took a short walk to the beach, to catch the last minute of sunset, then headed back to get a pizza from Sbarro and sat at a table poolside catching up with the cousins and listening to the music from the bar, until we started to yawn uncontrollably and decided to call it a night.
    Mike fell asleep as soon as he was horizontal and I stayed up unpacking. We both slept like rocks - seems to be another dependable blessing of Aruba for us.
    Last edited by Jen Doe; 12-06-2021 at 11:10 PM.
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I was out there most of the day, walked around a few times looking for you 2.
    We did take a 45 minute break at about noon and then back in the pool till bingo was wrapping up.
    Sorry we missed you, I walked around looking for you two a few times while Mike and the cousins were at the rum tasting today. We are going to De Palm Island tomorrow. I still hope we will get a chance to see you!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Hi!
    Quick high level summary for now, I will fill in some details later...
    Monday 12/6 = Super Food, Eagle Beach palapa #115, rum tasting, Terraza for sunset dinner.
    Tuesday 12/7 = De Palm Island, grilled chicken kabobs, asparagus, potatoes and pineapple for dinner. Gelato for dessert :0)

The plan for the rest of this week...
    Wednesday 12/8 = Bully taxi tour, wine tasting, Bavaria for dinner.
    Thursday 12/9 = Eagle Beach food truck and Black Pearl Sunset sail.
    Friday 12/10 = Driftwood Fishing Charter, Dutch Pancake House for lunch, maybe a little shopping, West Deck for sunset cocktails and Driftwood for dinner.
    Saturday 12/11 = beach or pool, RELAX, dose off in the shade.
    Sunday 12/12 = Cousin's head home and 20 of our friends arrive for week 2...
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    we are off to Reflexions soon.
    have fun with Bully!!

THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Time is flying this trip, I still haven't even painted my toenails. Today is Thursday and I am going to test my mental peptitude by trying to recount the events of Monday 12/6. The 4 of us walked over to Super Food around 9a for breakfast and lunch supplies (plus seltzer to go with the rum we will be ordering at the tasting later today.)The selection of sliced meat in the deli was strangely devoid of turkey (except turkey ham). We also finally got a Digicel sim card for one of our phones so we now have a local cell we can use without needing wifi. Called Hubert for taxi services, as the idea of schlepping cases of seltzer across that highway is not appealing at my age and level of fitness. Spent midday under Eagle Beach palapa #115 soaking in the warmth and breeze. Headed in for the rum tasting at 3p, I sat this one out, since it was over booked, and I knew I wanted coconut, maple hazelnut and vanilla. Mike also got coffee and tamarind. Quickly got cleaned up and headed to Terraza for 530p sunset dinner reservation. We went for the specials: Mike and I both had the pumpkin soup, cousins had salads. I had the spinach lasagna and asparagus risotto. Mike had the chicken parmesan and lasagna. The cousins had lasagna and vodka penne, and lemon grouper and shrimp risotto. Every bite was delicious! We waddled back to our room for a night cap and happily entered our carb comas for another good nights sleep.

Going to have breakfast now and head down to the pool. I hope you are all well wherever you are.
    1 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reports. Very entertaining! Glad you are enjoying! Time flies way too quickly while in Aruba! I think it’s the wonderful daily routine!
    0 0