This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Cabana March 9 -14

Post Thanks / Like

La Cabana March 9 -14

Departure from Newark was a little delayed as they had an emergency landing and shut down all the runways for a bit, but we did get out about an hour and half late. Fortunately, United pads their times so much, we arrived only half an hour late.
    Customs was busy, but the automated lines for US residents moved quickly. Got to EconoAruba, and pick up of car was smooth. Many other car rentals were sold out this week. Car is tiny and a little rough ride, but inexpensive and that was the important thing this trip. Check in to La Cabana was easy and room is nice, they've done some soft goods updates to the rooms and they look great.
    Resort is about 96%, but I didn't see much last night.
    I tried to get to an AA meeting last night, I had read that it was at 7, but no one was there, oh well. Went to super foods for a few things, it was very busy! Had dinner at the restaurant here, it was fine.
    Slept fantastic! Only about 4 hours of sleep the night before, travel day is exhausting and I got to sleep alone!! Haha, usually my 80 pound yellow lab, Daisy, hogs the bed and snores, so this was a bit of a treat!
    I've contacted 2 rescue groups to try to volunteer while I'm here, waiting to see if they get back to me.
    Relaxing in the room for now, might head over to Matthew's for breakfast, they have great views.
    Then I'll try to find a spot on the beach, but with such a late start I'll be lucky to find a spot at the pool. I just don't understand all of the resorts on island that don't provide enough chairs and shade, what is that? Especially here, there is plenty of room to provide them. Oh well, since its just me, I'll hope someone will share some shade!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Aruba is the perfect spot for a solo vacation. Get up when you want and do what you want. For me it would be Beach all day!! Enjoy!!
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    the shade huts on eagle beach at Lacabana are premium real estate.
    they also can cover more than 2 people on lounges.
    if you are without shade, maybe you would be brave enough to ask folks to share...or folks would see you looking and invite you!
    or
    you could inquire with Julio right there in the center of it all and rent a lounge and an umbrella.

when we are at lacabana, often times we offer our shade to folks that need it...there is usually room for at least 3 lounges.

if you do not hear back from aruba rescue groups, contact SUGAR by private message on this site. (dark box to the right of your name NOTIFICATIONS)
    Sugar is the brains and brawn behind the ARF group.

thanks for sharing your story!
    have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by DebMan View Post
    Departure from Newark was a little delayed as they had an emergency landing and shut down all the runways for a bit, but we did get out about an hour and half late. Fortunately, United pads their times so much, we arrived only half an hour late.
    Customs was busy, but the automated lines for US residents moved quickly. Got to EconoAruba, and pick up of car was smooth. Many other car rentals were sold out this week. Car is tiny and a little rough ride, but inexpensive and that was the important thing this trip. Check in to La Cabana was easy and room is nice, they've done some soft goods updates to the rooms and they look great.
    Resort is about 96%, but I didn't see much last night.
    I tried to get to an AA meeting last night, I had read that it was at 7, but no one was there, oh well. Went to super foods for a few things, it was very busy! Had dinner at the restaurant here, it was fine.
    Slept fantastic! Only about 4 hours of sleep the night before, travel day is exhausting and I got to sleep alone!! Haha, usually my 80 pound yellow lab, Daisy, hogs the bed and snores, so this was a bit of a treat!
    I've contacted 2 rescue groups to try to volunteer while I'm here, waiting to see if they get back to me.
    Relaxing in the room for now, might head over to Matthew's for breakfast, they have great views.
    Then I'll try to find a spot on the beach, but with such a late start I'll be lucky to find a spot at the pool. I just don't understand all of the resorts on island that don't provide enough chairs and shade, what is that? Especially here, there is plenty of room to provide them. Oh well, since its just me, I'll hope someone will share some shade!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great couple of days!
    Went to Matthew's for breakfast, it was Sunday, they were super busy, so I sat at the bar, breakfast was good, didn't get the view I was hoping for, but tis the season.
    Then got a good spot at the pool here, water then sun, repeat!
    Went to high rise for dinner, Iguana Cantina, love their enchiladas. Watch the water show and called it a night.
    Heading out a bit early today to help at one of the rescues, it was great, 2 litters of puppies, after feeding and cleaning up it was time to 'socialize' them, hee hee which means play and cuddle, great, great, great!
    Left there to meet another volunteer at a vet and assist with 3 pups getting shots and microchips, such mushes and so good.
    Back here for leftover enchiladas then down to the beach. It was close to 2:00, so I went with full sun, eventually a couple with a front row palapa left and they offered it to me, SCORE!
    The sun was so warm, creates such a great zoning environment! Water was clear and calm. Started for quite a while, then showered up and downtown to stroll and breakfast for dinner and the pancake house.
    Back to play with the puppies in the morning. Such an added bonus to this trip.
    0 5

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like fun!

which animal rescue did you help?
    cuddling puppies sounds like a wonderful way to assist and have an enjoyable time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for trip report. Check out Ricardo"a at ABC for breakfast too. Good prices and right on the beach. We do like matthews next door too.
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, Ricardo's, good idea, thanks! I have to ask, do you live near Ramsey? Not sure if it's okay to ask....do you know Brady's??
    Today was an early start, AA meeting at 7:30! I know not what most of you are interested in, lol, but it was great and nice to meet some fellow sober travelers. Dog rescue at 9:00 to play with the puppies, so cute!! Salt & Pepper for breakfast, someone mentioned it recently in a post and decided to try, nice little place and breakfast was really good. Back to the resort, down to the pool today, sat with a nice couple I met the other day. Decided I couldn't handle my terrible nails another day, I ran out of time before I left, went to the Citro Spa here, it wasn't good. Terrible mani-Pedro, spoke to the manager, she was surprised, but understood, no massage on hands or feet, so I was charged half, which is still more than I pay at home...Oh well, my nails look okay.
    Balcony for sunset and then will figure out dinner. I <3 Aruba!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh La Cabana! You are making feel like I was there right now. Thanks for sharing!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes we live in Ramsey and know Bradys well. Will stop by there for St. Patricks day. Would love to celebrate that day in Aruba. Aruba sure knows how to have fun. I teach right up the street from Bradys at Ramsey High School. Great town. Enjoy your trip and keep us all updated.
    thanks Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

Say hi

Quote Originally Posted by crimms View Post
    Yes we live in Ramsey and know Bradys well. Will stop by there for St. Patricks day. Would love to celebrate that day in Aruba. Aruba sure knows how to have fun. I teach right up the street from Bradys at Ramsey High School. Great town. Enjoy your trip and keep us all updated.
    thanks Sean and Susan
    I'm working Friday night and all day Saturday, downstairs, say hi!!
    0 0