This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Live trip report 10/28-11/26/19

Post Thanks / Like
    Monday Day 20:

Road Trip…

Stopped at Super Foods to pick up a couple of things for a road trip and had to go to Ling’s to grab what Super Foods was out of.
    Took the new highway to Baby Beach. Travel time was 40 minutes…not bad.

Sat on the beach for an hour or so with an occasional dunk in the sea. The waters were dead calm, so even the wife dared to join in.
    Went over to Run Reef for a beverage and a view. They are still constructing the kitchen, so no food available. I had wondered how they would differentiate themselves from the new Lago Colony, old Rum Reef location, and found it to be clearly posted as adult only. It also appeared that they have upped their drink pricing, but only modestly. The view from there is spectacular and the infinity pool is a nice feature for a refreshing dip. Lago Colony is mostly bar food, but their beer and cocktail prices are considerably less than Rum Reef’s. You can not bring any food or beverage into Rum Reef.

Since we had planned on eating in the Baby Beach area, we drove over to Kamini’s Kitchen for a bite and beverage. While we were sitting at the bar, a herd of donkeys paraded by the side of the building. The waitress said that they go by every morning and return to a resting spot behind them at night. There were at least twenty passing by. The wife had Mushroom and Potato Roti and I had the Curry Chicken. Each of us had beverage too. The food was delicious, as usual. The total was $35.00 plus tip.

When we drove into Baby Beach, we noticed that they were setting up for an event, with covered areas, seating and a stage for a band. We talked to a Setar employee and asked if it was a private event and he said no, so we thought we’d go back after dinner. We had some time to kill, so we headed back to the Red Anchor and made a left towards the Windmill Farm, following the new sign pointing in that direction for the grape fields. We never found the grape fields, as it was starting to get dark. We did come across what I first thought was a tire dump, but it turned out to be a storage area for tires for a motocross track. I was a little relieved but wondered what will happen to all the tires if the track gets closed. I was really surprised that it was allowed in the first place…

Sunset was approaching, so we turned around and headed towards Baby Beach. It was funny to see all the goats lining up on the cliffside. There were several them of all ages and they continued to gather as we left the area.

We arrived at the Baby Beach entry and found a parking lot full of cars. As we passed the event it appeared to be a private function after all. We parked the car and listened to the announcements being made. There were several public speakers and it turns out it was a celebration of sort for the groundbreaking and expansion of Baby Beach. We did not stay and headed back to the condo. At least we got a nice sunset along the way back.

Watched a little TV and called it a night.

Link to Photo Album
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/N5nFuvAcpkULQzyr7

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We also want to check out new Lago Colony bar and pool. Thanks so much for trip reports. We are having so much fun reading them. We almost feel we are in Aruba. Cool pics too!!!
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    1 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    while at Baby Beach (and in the water) did you happen to see the turtle?
    he/she has become quite bold and very entertaining.
    last time we saw him/her, Paul and I were real close....close enough to touch...but we didn't ....ya know turtle germs

thank you again, for sharing your time with us.
    we all appreciate your writings.

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    Monday Day 20:

Road Trip…

Stopped at Super Foods to pick up a couple of things for a road trip and had to go to Ling’s to grab what Super Foods was out of.
    Took the new highway to Baby Beach. Travel time was 40 minutes…not bad.

Sat on the beach for an hour or so with an occasional dunk in the sea. The waters were dead calm, so even the wife dared to join in.
    Went over to Run Reef for a beverage and a view. They are still constructing the kitchen, so no food available. I had wondered how they would differentiate themselves from the new Lago Colony, old Rum Reef location, and found it to be clearly posted as adult only. It also appeared that they have upped their drink pricing, but only modestly. The view from there is spectacular and the infinity pool is a nice feature for a refreshing dip. Lago Colony is mostly bar food, but their beer and cocktail prices are considerably less than Rum Reef’s. You can not bring any food or beverage into Rum Reef.

Since we had planned on eating in the Baby Beach area, we drove over to Kamini’s Kitchen for a bite and beverage. While we were sitting at the bar, a herd of donkeys paraded by the side of the building. The waitress said that they go by every morning and return to a resting spot behind them at night. There were at least twenty passing by. The wife had Mushroom and Potato Roti and I had the Curry Chicken. Each of us had beverage too. The food was delicious, as usual. The total was $35.00 plus tip.

When we drove into Baby Beach, we noticed that they were setting up for an event, with covered areas, seating and a stage for a band. We talked to a Setar employee and asked if it was a private event and he said no, so we thought we’d go back after dinner. We had some time to kill, so we headed back to the Red Anchor and made a left towards the Windmill Farm, following the new sign pointing in that direction for the grape fields. We never found the grape fields, as it was starting to get dark. We did come across what I first thought was a tire dump, but it turned out to be a storage area for tires for a motocross track. I was a little relieved but wondered what will happen to all the tires if the track gets closed. I was really surprised that it was allowed in the first place…

Sunset was approaching, so we turned around and headed towards Baby Beach. It was funny to see all the goats lining up on the cliffside. There were several them of all ages and they continued to gather as we left the area.

We arrived at the Baby Beach entry and found a parking lot full of cars. As we passed the event it appeared to be a private function after all. We parked the car and listened to the announcements being made. There were several public speakers and it turns out it was a celebration of sort for the groundbreaking and expansion of Baby Beach. We did not stay and headed back to the condo. At least we got a nice sunset along the way back.

Watched a little TV and called it a night.

Link to Photo Album
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We did not see the turtle this trip but have in the past. However, we did here someone else in the water announce a sighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    while at Baby Beach (and in the water) did you happen to see the turtle?
    he/she has become quite bold and very entertaining.
    last time we saw him/her, Paul and I were real close....close enough to touch...but we didn't ....ya know turtle germs

thank you again, for sharing your time with us.
    we all appreciate your writings.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I love seeing all your pictures and reading your live trip report. That picture of the goats gathering at dusk is my favorite!
    Jayna-Beach Bum at ❤️
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I loved the goats at dusk as well. I was just showing it to Tom. Thanks for sharing the photos!!!!

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Tuesday Day 21:

Reality setting in…our trip is starting to wind down as we begin our last week.

We got a late start this morning, as it was time to catch up with the laundry and such. Filled the car with gas for the first time and calculated a little over 34mpg, which at $4.53 a gallon we were pleased.

After the gym we stopped at the Price Hacker, which is not to far from Ling’s. They have revolving items for sale and is cash only. You could save a few dollars there, as some items are quite a bargain, other deals are pretty good too.

Went back to the condo and ate lunch and decided to just hang by the pool.

Changed and then went to Faro Blanco for happy hour. When we got there, people were arriving for dinner and the dining area filled rapidly. We sat at the bar and had a couple of beverages, staying until sunset. It is a great place for that…

From there we headed to Palm Beach Mall to catch a movie. We get out of the car and the wife’s whim kicks in when she says, want to go to Texas De Brazil? So that’s what we did and we both had the salad bar. Total was $68.24 with the service charge automatically added.

We were stuffed after dinner, so we just went back to the condo for a beverage and enjoyed the night breezes before retiring for the night.

Link to Photo Album

1 3

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    was there any meat or fish at that salad bar?

re: Movies
    We have "mental plans" to see the Mr Rogers movie, and Frozen 2 while we are in AUA.

I am sad that this is your last week at your 2nd home.
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Not so much...they had a mixed seafood cold salad and a hot shrimp and fish mix in a cream sauce. They had sliced "salami" at the cheese station. I had neither. I only eat certain types of fish, so if it doesn't say what it is, I pass. The wife had the cream sauce and she said it was very good.

We do enjoy the movies and it is nice relief from the day's heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    was there any meat or fish at that salad bar?

re: Movies
    We have "mental plans" to see the Mr Rogers movie, and Frozen 2 while we are in AUA.

I am sad that this is your last week at your 2nd home.
    Last edited by schexc; 11-20-2019 at 10:31 AM.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, thanks so much for your trip reports and pictures. We read some recent bad reviews of Faro Blanco on Trip Advidor for dinner, but I like your idea of drinks only for the view.
    Thanks
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    1 0