This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Post Covid Trip 9/4 - 9/13

Post Thanks / Like
    Monday -Departure Day . I was awake early so decided to wash our laundry to make unpacking easier. It’s nice that the OC has free washing and drying and they even provide detergent. After the laundry was done we packed everything away and headed to Dutch Pancake House for our final breakfast. As wee were waiting for our food, I received an email that flight was delayed 1.5 hr. Now we were really early for airport and likely to miss our connection. We decided to head to airport as planned as we had scheduled car drop off with Hans and I was hoping they could book us on another earlier route. Car drop off quick and easy and Denis ushered us off to the airport. We arrived at 11:30 and it was DEAD! one group ahead of us at Jet Blue counter. Inquired about changing our flight and agent said she couldn’t accommodate. She tried to convince me to change our connection from JFK to SYR to the next day as there was no way we would make it (flight from AUA was now scheduled to arrive 5 mins after the connection would depart). I told her we would take our chances as we knew this would lock us in to having to stay over. Been there, done that! Checked our bags and continued on. No one in line at first customs checkpoint, walked right through on to Aruba Security. 2 lines open and only a handful of folks. Didn’t really feel like shopping so we just continued on to US Customs. We had our conditional approval for Global Entry since pre-covid and wanted to do our interview here. No one in GE line and we requested our interview. Were sent to a small waiting room. One person ahead of us then they took me and then hubs. The wait and interview for both of us totaled about 10 mins. Continued on to US baggage drop and TSA, again just a couple others. The whole process took less than 30 mins and that included the GE interviews and at least 10 mins at the check in counter trying to reroute. We now had a 5 hour wait til our delayed flight so decided to use the VIP lounge. It was more comfortable and quiet than the main terminal waiting area and I had my money’s worth in cocktails and mini sandwiches. Hubs doesn’t eat or drink much before flying, but at least he got his phone charged. ;-)

We ended up taking off a few mins early and made up a bit more time in the air. Landed at jfk just as our connection was boarding and fortunately it was in the same terminal. We booked it, there was another couple running with us, and we made it just as they were getting ready to close door. Phew! Was certain our luggage wouldn’t make it, but somehow it did.

So glad we went and now counting down til May. (222 days )
    0 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Can’t believe you actually made the connection! You must have been so relieved!! Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    terrific that you made the connection!!
    glad that the VP lounge was good enough for the long wait.

thanks for telling us of the departure experience!!!
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, so glad that worked out for you. Sounds like Monday is the day to leave Aruba. Thanks again for sharing and can't wait to party with you guys in May!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you made the connection. That must have been an adrenaline rush. Thanks so much for all your posts. I love the trip reports!
    ​Laura from NH/Divi Village

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Great that it worked out! How much is the VP lounge?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    The VIP lounge was $42 each. I wouldn’t bother with it for an hour wait but for several hours it was worth it. You have access to unlimited food and drink, though the selections are limited. Couple choices of wine and draft beer, vodka and rum with soda for mixers. Food consisted of chicken soup, mini sandwiches (tuna, ham or cheese), chips and muffins. I was surprised that I really liked the Super Bock beer.

enjoy the rest of your trip Ace :-)
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your trip report. I enjoyed your restaurant revues. I'm glad to hear your insights about the VIP room. It really makes your waiting time much more tolerable. Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your trip. March can't come soon enough for us!
    0 0