This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riu Palace Antillas - June 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Riu Palace Antillas - June 2018

Trip Review – June 18 – 25

We came for our 1st wedding anniversary and both our birthdays (nothing actually fell on the dates we were there haha). We stayed at the Riu Palace Antillas. This is our 4th time staying there –we have stayed every year since it became a Riu.

This trip felt difference, since we know we probably won’t be back to Aruba next year (we have gone every year for the last 8 years) So we knew we needed to savour every minute on the island.

Here’s the thing, and I have said this before – we do all inclusive because when we work it out it costs about $200 more per person to be all included vs. nothing. So if we chose to stay at a hotel we would end up spending way more than if we do all inclusive.

That being said, haha we were so over resort food by day 2. So we jumped in a cab and off to Alfie’s we went. It was even better than we remembered. Amal and Peter, the owners are literally the nicest people we have ever met. They remembered us from last year, and we have tried to keep in touch with them over facebook. Even though Peter was busy in the Kitchen he came out to say hello and have a quick chat. I got wings and my husband got a burger and a lb of wings haha. They were soooo good that two nights later we came back to Alfie’s and I got the burger and hubby got 2 lbs of wings.

During our trip to Alfie’s we made friends with our cab driver Edward, we liked him so much we added him to whatsapp and used him all week. He was always prompt and got us where we needed to be fairly quick J I have his contact info if anyone is interested (I asked him if it was ok to post, he welcomed it)

We had a very relaxing trip that consisted of us walking from the Riu down past the Ritz every morning, then relaxing in the pool. All afternoon was spent floating in the ocean and at night we would walk down the strip of Palm beach and just browse around.

As our last day was winding down, we discussed future travel plans (as most of us do) I really want to stay at the Manchebo on our next trip – and we may do it non all inclusive. Or we might try a timeshare or condo. (just flight prices from Toronto are crazy expensive)

We also are looking at travelling to Hawaii soon, and that just seems overwhelming to me. There are so many different islands to stay on and different places to see. I haven’t spent enough time researching just yet.

Anyways, it felt like we did more when we were there, haha but I guess this is a sign of a quiet relaxing vacation.
    0 6

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you rent a timeshare and get a good deal on an airfare, I bet you will save 40% or maybe more, than going AI at the RIU.
    Look into Playa Linda, Marriott Ocean or Surf and on Eagle Beach look into ABC, CDM and Costa Linda and LaCabana and Paradise Beach Villas.

Hawaii had been on our bucket list for years. We are beach people and not much into tours. So adding in the $$$COST of Hawaii (including air) vs the cost and convenience of Aruba, Aruba always wins. As I said we are beach people and Aruba beaches are spectacular and the weather is pretty much always great.

Thank you for sharing your Aruba story.

Make sure to follow CP's. Manchebo Aruba Story. He landed a little while ago.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I always read everyone’s trip posts. We went and toured Manchebo last year and they were so welcoming even brought us to show us their rooms. I had always wanted to stay at bucuti but they weren’t as welcoming and after reading pegs trip review about making a deal taking a dessert from the restaurant haha that stuck out to me. I wouldn’t have liked that and wouldn’t want to worry about something so silly.
    Playa Linda we walked by everyday it just seems wayyy to busy for us.
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Manchebo is the most understated and unadvertised property on Eagle or Palm Beaches. (Some call Manchebo Beach are as Manchebo beach....but I am lumping it into Eagle)

Peg and Tom's experience re: the dessert will always leave a bad taste in my mouth.
    I still shake my head and think really Bucuti?
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing your stay with us. The Manchebo will be a whole new experience for you and you may never look back....the place looks really nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the sharing, I really wanted to try Alfie's this past trip, but couldn't manage it. If you find the Playa Linda too busy, avoid Oahu and Maui at all costs if planning on a vacation in Hawaii. Maui is becoming quite crowded with tourists now and Oahu, particularly Waikiki, is stupidly crowded with people and traffic. I'd look at Kauai for a quiet stay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Thanks for the sharing, I really wanted to try Alfie's this past trip, but couldn't manage it. If you find the Playa Linda too busy, avoid Oahu and Maui at all costs if planning on a vacation in Hawaii. Maui is becoming quite crowded with tourists now and Oahu, particularly Waikiki, is stupidly crowded with people and traffic. I'd look at Kauai for a quiet stay.
    Thanks for the advice!
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I do hope you consider Manchebo. We positively loved it. There wasn’t anything we would criticize. The staff was wonderful, welcoming and friendly. The restaurants were great, especially the Chophouse; and the beach is fabulous.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom wants to add that the Spa there is amazing!!!!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for your report. I think the Rui looks like a great place and the adults only feel at the pool sounds great! Glad you enjoyed your stay and got off the resort some too. I think AIs get a bad rep sometimes but there is absolutely something to be said for not having to put any effort into planning drinks or meals to stay on a budget.
    We also toured Manchebo and found them to be awesome. I think you would be happy with AI there. The OP options feel less like resort food in my opinion.

0 1