This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracey and Jon 9th anniversary trip

Post Thanks / Like
    How nice to run into act1966. And nice to hear that he is doing well. We often wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Sunday we had an early start back to Boca Catalina in search of the sea turtles to get more pics and videos. And while we didnt find any, we did have a sightening that any forum member would be happy to have! While suiting up in our gear to go out snorkeling, a man walking by called my name. It was none other than forum favorite act1966! We chatted for a moment before I got the death stare from Jon to wrap it up and finish getting ready. He's doing great, and getting in his morning walks in Aruba is much easier than Canada.
    Snorkeling was sort of a bust. We saw a few large starfish. Its amazing how much easier it is to snorkel with the power seabobs. We dont think we went out far enough to see the turtles, but the power of the sea and ability of the swimmer has to be respected.

Since it was Sunday, and we had some time to kill before our room change, we decided to try to the Hyatt Brunch for the first time. It was great! Yes, its $50 per person but they keep the mimosas flowing and there are endless options. We dont love breakfast foods, but not to worry, the seafood and salad and vegetables were fresh and plentiful. And dont get me started on the desserts! The gralic steamed vegetables were much favorite.
    We got ourselves ready for the pool and checked out of Playa Linda and moved to the Surf Club. We have a 2 bedroom garden view facing the ocean club parking lot and a side view of the water. The unit is massive and the bedding is amazing. Next time I think I would pay for a better view though. We already miss the PL balcony.
    The afternoon was spent in the lazy river and watching football from the other pool. I'm not usually a pool person but the Surf club is the exception. I dont love the mega resort feel here, but the room and the pools help me get over it.
    After a long day, we decided to stay at the resort for dinner but we couldn't agree so we got both pizza and a rotisserie chicken which came with a salad and fries. I can see us easily getting 2-3 additional meals from the left overs, and the cost was only $44 plus tip for delivery! Unbelievable deal.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear that act is doing well. We so miss him on the forum! Hope you are enjoying your vacation as much as we are!!

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, I was wondering about him and a few others who have not been on here recently.

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    How nice to run into act1966. And nice to hear that he is doing well. We often wonder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    yes, I was wondering about him and a few others who have not been on here recently.
    I told him he is missed and we all wished he would post again.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like

Monday

Okay, so we are really boring but a day in Aruba is still a day in Aruba.

If you chose to keep reading after that intro, thanks. We were up early to try to catch a sunrise on the south end if the island. It was cloudy so we didnt get a good one, but I still enjoyed the view at Baby Beach and Seroe Colorado. Well, except for the naked man who rushed to get back in his car when he saw us pulling up to the parking area.

I cant believe we missed Andrea and Paul, we had to be just minutes ahead of them.

We went into San Nicolas to see some of the art murals, but as it got busier my driver (Jon) was getting anxious and wanted to get out of there.

We went by Superfood to get beer and a few other items. We ended up buying a nice rib eye that we will split and make steak and eggs for breakfast. I feel like we bought less than other trips and spent about $40 more than our average, even buying similar things. Have others noticed price increases?

The rest of the day was spent on the beach in and out of the water. We got a middle of the road palapa. The beach has so many chairs, it ruins the view. For lunch we had chicken wings on the beach. Lots of laughs and beers for us, then back to the room for balcony time with music. We had leftovers from the night before's pizza for dinner.

The Surf Club is not my favorite place to stay because of the mega resort feel and crowded beach, but the lazy river and the quality of the rooms make it tolerable. Jon loves it here.

I'm not sure what our plans are today. We have the jeep until midday. I want to go back to Boca Catalina but Jon doesn't seem interested. It may just be another beach and pool day.

I added a few pics but most are in my regular camera that I will have to add from home. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZLsf2kNrXSFECV7m9
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 12-03-2019 at 06:49 AM.
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like

Jeep woes

I am glad we decided against snorkeling today. We went out to the jeep to fill it up and return to Top Drive at their Barcelo location and it would not start. A call to Top Drive and they had someone out to us within 20 minutes. The service was excellent. We took it straight back without adding the gas and they were understanding. Jon didnt want to risk it not starting again and it's a good thing because once we parked and turned it off it died again. Of all scenarios that could have happened, this was not bad. We were done with driving and we were not stuck in a remote location.

Jon says he won't rent from them again. Even though the service was excellent and appreciated, he felt this incident, as well as the tire conditions were an indicator of their overall vehicle maintenance.

All is well, only lost about 30 minutes of our day, all employees were pleasant and helpful, and now we are back on the beach.
    1 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    You folks were fortunate!!
    it could have been way worse.

I am glad we decided against snorkeling today. We went out to the jeep to fill it up and return to Top Drive at their Barcelo location and it would not start. A call to Top Drive and they had someone out to us within 20 minutes. The service was excellent. We took it straight back without adding the gas and they were understanding. Jon didnt want to risk it not starting again and it's a good thing because once we parked and turned it off it died again. Of all scenarios that could have happened, this was not bad. We were done with driving and we were not stuck in a remote location.

Jon says he won't rent from them again. Even though the service was excellent and appreciated, he felt this incident, as well as the tire conditions were an indicator of their overall vehicle maintenance.

All is well, only lost about 30 minutes of our day, all employees were pleasant and helpful, and now we are back on the beach.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, so we are really boring but a day in Aruba is still a day in Aruba.

If you chose to keep reading after that intro, thanks. We were up early to try to catch a sunrise on the south end if the island. It was cloudy so we didnt get a good one, but I still enjoyed the view at Baby Beach and Seroe Colorado. Well, except for the naked man who rushed to get back in his car when he saw us pulling up to the parking area.

I cant believe we missed Andrea and Paul, we had to be just minutes ahead of them.

We went into San Nicolas to see some of the art murals, but as it got busier my driver (Jon) was getting anxious and wanted to get out of there.

We went by Superfood to get beer and a few other items. We ended up buying a nice rib eye that we will split and make steak and eggs for breakfast. I feel like we bought less than other trips and spent about $40 more than our average, even buying similar things. Have others noticed price increases?

The rest of the day was spent on the beach in and out of the water. We got a middle of the road palapa. The beach has so many chairs, it ruins the view. For lunch we had chicken wings on the beach. Lots of laughs and beers for us, then back to the room for balcony time with music. We had leftovers from the night before's pizza for dinner.

The Surf Club is not my favorite place to stay because of the mega resort feel and crowded beach, but the lazy river and the quality of the rooms make it tolerable. Jon loves it here.

I'm not sure what our plans are today. We have the jeep until midday. I want to go back to Boca Catalina but Jon doesn't seem interested. It may just be another beach and pool day.

I added a few pics but most are in my regular camera that I will have to add from home. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZLsf2kNrXSFECV7m9
    Boring is not boring to most of us or at least me. Boring is relaxed and at ease. Sure beats my day.

Don't forget the "sin tax" they added earlier this year to booze. That might part of the difference in $$spent. Plus prices just go up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sin tax example.Bacardi rum last year at duty free $18.00/ super foods $32.00.This year duty free free $15.00(what a deal) superfood $46.00(yikes)went to price smart even with +10%(no membership) $36.00.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Sin tax example.Bacardi rum last year at duty free $18.00/ super foods $32.00.This year duty free free $15.00(what a deal) superfood $46.00(yikes)went to price smart even with +10%(no membership) $36.00.
    Wow...huge difference!
    0 0