This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report January 6-April 1, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice day. Slept in-ahh. Spent some time reading in the am. We had friends from our car club coming in on the Zuiderdam with a 1:00 docking. We watched as the ship came in and then headed downtown to meet up with them. When I previously asked what they wanted to see, they said, "We've never been there, so show us the whole island". We started with Eagle Beach, our condo, Palm Beach, Malamok, the lighthouse, Arashi, Alta Vista, Natural Bridge stopping to take pictures of the northside waves and rock, gold mine ruins, Ayo, Casabari and Mango Halto, San Nicholas, Baby Beach and back through town to dinner at 6:30 at the Driftwood which they loved. We got out where they wanted and just drove through and stopped in other places. It was wonderful to see friends from home and what was even better was them see Aruba for the first time and the look on their faces.

Post Thanks / Like
    It must have been incredible to tour your friends around. You are a great tour guide as you hit some incredible spots that are certainly memorable.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bet it was a fun tour! Are you still awake?

You certainly made the rounds!

Are they enjoying their cruise? We love the HAL cruise lines.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Really nice day. Slept in-ahh. Spent some time reading in the am. We had friends from our car club coming in on the Zuiderdam with a 1:00 docking. We watched as the ship came in and then headed downtown to meet up with them. When I previously asked what they wanted to see, they said, "We've never been there, so show us the whole island". We started with Eagle Beach, our condo, Palm Beach, Malamok, the lighthouse, Arashi, Alta Vista, Natural Bridge stopping to take pictures of the northside waves and rock, gold mine ruins, Ayo, Casabari and Mango Halto, San Nicholas, Baby Beach and back through town to dinner at 6:30 at the Driftwood which they loved. We got out where they wanted and just drove through and stopped in other places. It was wonderful to see friends from home and what was even better was them see Aruba for the first time and the look on their faces.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was a beach day. Stu went down around 7:15 and I got down there closer to 8:00. We were there all day and friends from the condo joined us for several hours. Dinner was a meal I had prepared before and had frozen. Great day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Monday I just read in the condo and did some laundry. We walked down to La Cabana and joined our forum friends Steve and Cathy for drinks and dinner. I was such a great time! Dinner was at Las Ramblas. I think we were the first to arrive and the last to leave! So much fun. We walked back and we late enough that we could not get through the beach gates and had to walk around to the main entrance where we talked with our security guards for half an hour. We also got an email from our friend upstairs and she did postpone her trip to Italy.

This morning Stu and I headed to SuperFoods for a few items. We didn't need much because we are going out for dinner three times this week. I was going to head to the pool, but it is a bit cloudy, so instead I went to check out the Studio Murano Art I saw a few weeks ago and again when we were driving our friends around. They have a small restaurant and make Murano like glass(I didn't see any Millefiorie). The vases and platters were gorgeous. There were beautiful glass fish and other gift type items, but no jewelry. Not a super huge selection, but really nice. I spoke to the gentleman who owns it and he opened it 7 months ago. His family is originally from Murano and he has lived on the island for 2 years. They do the glass blowing demonstrations in the am(I got there a little late for that). If you are interested in going, take Rt. 6 like you are going to the Ostrich Farm or Natural Bridge. When you get to the intersection where you have to turn left to go to the Ostrich Farm and Natural Bridge(Wai Fat Supermarket to your left), make your immediate right instead and it is a few minutes up the road on the right. It is in the Ayo section of the island. There are other ways to get there, but that seems like the simplest way. I also finally got to meet the new owner's on our floor this morning. They are the first owner's we have met who are sort of in the Philadelphia area.

My plan is to nothing until we have to meet friends at 530 for drinks and then dinner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday, we met our friends in their 3 bedroom condo for drinks. They bought less than a year after we bought but are ahead of us in redoing the condo as far as furniture and changing the bathrooms, kitchen and flooring. It seems like we all have stuff they did goofy in the condos, but it is all different. We also do share some of the same issues. What is really nice here is that most, but not all of owners we have met will discuss what issues we have, what we have learned along the way, were to find things, etc.

We had reservations at Windows on Aruba. We chose this because none of us have ever been there. The views were nice. Stu had lamb chop and I had the duck. Our friends had a steak and some type of seafood. Everything was good and the staff was attentive. They have an amazing light fixture that reminds me of the Dale Chihuly exhibit I saw and then smaller ones on the columns. We had a great time.
    Last edited by robin; 03-04-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys truly are the ambassadors in Aruba for this forum. We have learned a lot from you guys.
    Thanks
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Took care of some household stuff and was at the pool around 10 am. It is very quiet this week and only one person was down there. I read for 2+ hours and then headed in for lunch and to clean up for class. Stu noticed that a couple that come in every year was heading down to the pool. They are in a little later this year. I went down to talk to them for awhile, but had to leave for my class. I got more done that I had hoped and I may have it done next week. Came back and showered. Dinner was Wacky Wahoos. This was our first time there and it did not disappoint. I had a glass of riesling that was so wonderfully cold. I had Grouper Gratinadet and Stu had Blackened Barracuda. Both dishes came with fried plantains, rice, corn bread and veggies. Neither of us could finish, but maybe if we didn't eat all the bread we would have. We ordered an Aruban Cashew Cake to take home. A quick stop at the ATM and back home to chill.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read all of your words and what is all that I see?
    ARUBAN CASHEW CAKE

it is marvelous.
    I wonder where they get it?
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I read all of your words and what is all that I see?
    ARUBAN CASHEW CAKE

it is marvelous.
    I wonder where they get it?
    It really good. I looked up the recipe. It is a butter cake and the icing is what has the cashews in it.