This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report January 6-April 1, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    I walked many mornings and I did not smell it like the past two nights on my walk. I guess it just depends on the winds.

Andrea, our home errands are in condensed form compared to at home. When we get here we have to assess everything for a year. We need to see what is here, what needs to fixed or replaced and what has disappeared. The biggest issue is finding things here so we start early in our stay and hope that we find it or it comes in(if a place if out of it) before we leave. It isn't as simple as going to the store or ordering online. It's expensive to order and have it sent here. If you want to have stuff shipped here, it'll cost you as much in shipping and duty as the items themselves. I already have a list of things to bring next year.

Today was beautiful and it was spent at the pool. I hope to repeat this tomorrow.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    "what has disappeared"
    have items been stolen ?

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I walked many mornings and I did not smell it like the past two nights on my walk. I guess it just depends on the winds.

Andrea, our home errands are in condensed form compared to at home. When we get here we have to assess everything for a year. We need to see what is here, what needs to fixed or replaced and what has disappeared. The biggest issue is finding things here so we start early in our stay and hope that we find it or it comes in(if a place if out of it) before we leave. It isn't as simple as going to the store or ordering online. It's expensive to order and have it sent here. If you want to have stuff shipped here, it'll cost you as much in shipping and duty as the items themselves. I already have a list of things to bring next year.

Today was beautiful and it was spent at the pool. I hope to repeat this tomorrow.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    "what has disappeared"
    have items been stolen ?
    Bedding and towels are the biggest issues. They don't sell much bedding as individual pieces here, so if some decides their bottle of run should be wrapped in a pillow case, I can't just buy a set of pillow cases without hunting in different stores. I was going to bring good bedding from home, but decided last night I am just going to use the stuff they have here because it keeps disappearing. We have very good bedding for ourselves though. I had a nice set of salt and pepper shakers(they matched the spoon rest) disappear along with the $3 food cover for the microwaving food. This year the tablespoon of the measuring spoons is gone along with 3 out of 4 shot glasses(maybe they broke, but three of them?). We keep extra glasses because of breakage. I noticed this year we are missing 2 small plates and 3 small bowls of the Corelle. If they don't sell it at the restaurant store I'll have to bring them from home. Things seem to break here more than at home.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    that is unfortunate
    when we were at lacabana in Dec. the set of measuring spoons had an unfortunate experience in the garbage disposal.
    I let housekeeping know that I destroyed them and that we would replace.
    we found measuring spoons at one of the grocery stores.

I never really gave much thought of breakage and theft.
    It is a pain indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Bedding and towels are the biggest issues. They don't sell much bedding as individual pieces here, so if some decides their bottle of run should be wrapped in a pillow case, I can't just buy a set of pillow cases without hunting in different stores. I was going to bring good bedding from home, but decided last night I am just going to use the stuff they have here because it keeps disappearing. We have very good bedding for ourselves though. I had a nice set of salt and pepper shakers(they matched the spoon rest) disappear along with the $3 food cover for the microwaving food. This year the tablespoon of the measuring spoons is gone along with 3 out of 4 shot glasses(maybe they broke, but three of them?). We keep extra glasses because of breakage. I noticed this year we are missing 2 small plates and 3 small bowls of the Corelle. If they don't sell it at the restaurant store I'll have to bring them from home. Things seem to break here more than at home.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We’ve also had a couple of things come up missing or broken, but it’s been very minor. A bottle opener and shot glass. For the most part, we’ve had exceptional tenants. We do store our own linen and fortunately, our management company provides all of the linen and launders/inventories it, so if something is missing the tenant gets charged for it.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    That is because you are honest, Andrea.

We were discussing it with another owner and a couple who rent for a month. We are not sure if it is renters or people who clean the units. The couple who own have been through 3 coffee pots in two years. They have bedding and towels missing and various kitchen items. The couple who rent have no knives in their unit-they were there last year. They also are renting a grill and were given a new set of bbq tools by management company. They were told to take them home because the next people in will probably steal them.

The thing is most of the stuff isn't expensive, it is just annoying. It is not like at home where you can walk into Target or Walmart or Kohls and get what you need. When the microwave cover went missing I had to go to 4 places before I found one. It's not the $3, it's the time it takes to find it here. The shot glasses are about a whopping sixty-five cent each at Win Tung Home Center. We really don't leave out anything expensive.

This year I am going to do an inventory of everything, and put it in the information book so guest maybe will think twice taking it. I am also going to ask that the people who clean the condo save everything that is ripped or stained so 1. I can see what is take and what is no longer usable 2. I can donate those items to the group that catches, neuters and releases dogs. (At home I'd give it to the SPCA.)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    that is unfortunate
    when we were at lacabana in Dec. the set of measuring spoons had an unfortunate experience in the garbage disposal.
    I let housekeeping know that I destroyed them and that we would replace.
    we found measuring spoons at one of the grocery stores.

I never really gave much thought of breakage and theft.
    It is a pain indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting.
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a shame people take things that are not theirs to take. Renting is always a risk but I too wonder if its the cleaners as well...who takes a coffee pot or a set of knives?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the coffee pots were broken or at least that is what they were told.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Its a shame people take things that are not theirs to take. Renting is always a risk but I too wonder if its the cleaners as well...who takes a coffee pot or a set of knives?

Post Thanks / Like
    Saturday and Sunday were pool more pool. Two sets of friends came in on Saturday and we spent time catching up on Sunday with them.

Monday I had not choice but had to go do at least part of my grocery shopping, so I headed to Superfoods around 11. I was in and out quickly. I had planned to go to the pool, but the skies got dark, so I figured I'd be better off going to Price Smart and Island Asia and try to find what we needed. Dinner was with the two couples at Chalet Swiss. I had the duck, one person had some type of Swiss dish, 3 people had steaks and one surf and turf. Stu and split the apple strudel and a few others had the banana boat. The food and service was great and we had a great time.

Today I was determined to find the rest of what I needed to replace, so after Lings to get stuff Super Foods does not carry or did not have, I headed to a few places and got everything I needed. After lunch I went to the pool and was joined by one of our friends and then hubby came down. I made dinner and we ate on the balcony and the sunset was really nice-I'll add the photos later. Our friends came over for about an hour to get something they did not have in their unit. Stu is working now and I am procrastinating doing laundry.